Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

I have 9 mouth ulcers.....

(32 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 06-Dec-12 16:37:53

...I can't eat, I'm drooling & in a lot of pain

Pain killers are not touching it - is it completely stupid to go to see the GP?

flubba Thu 06-Dec-12 16:58:52

No, course not! Try corsodyl (sp?) in the meantime.

spaceal Thu 06-Dec-12 17:43:26

Have you got any spots on your hands? Hand foot and mouth disease? There's another thread somewhere here about it...

spaceal Thu 06-Dec-12 17:44:34
crashdoll Thu 06-Dec-12 17:55:53

Due to my autoimmune problems, I get hideous ulcers. The only thing that helps is prednisolone meltlets, you let them melt against the ulcers. Heavenly relief within a day or two!

roguepixie Thu 06-Dec-12 17:59:35

One remedy - hot water with loads of salt in, stir to dissolve salt. Gargle salt water around your mouth, holding it next to ulcers as much as possible. It is not immediate but if you do it a few times it will help to get rid of them.

I was taught that mouth ulcers are a sign of being 'run down'. You should go to your GP to get to the root cause.

Hope you feel better soon.

Badvocsanta Thu 06-Dec-12 19:04:11

I think a non urgent trip to the gp might be a good idea.
Mouth ulcers can be a sign you are run down/anaemic.
Til then gargle with something like solpadeine and use corsodyl mouthwash.

Milliways Thu 06-Dec-12 19:23:21

I used to love Adcortyl in Orabase, and almost cried when it was discontinued over here. I am tempted to buy online from abroad.

My gastro rates Bonjela for ulcers.

Remember mouth ulcers can be caused by inflammation in the bowel, so a diet change may help?

KatyMac Thu 06-Dec-12 19:34:13

Corsodyl has always made mine worse (my dentist said it does for some people)

Adcortyl was fab so is salt water; but the salt water is not really working

I am run down - but as I have a few blisters on my hand & I work with children I am wondering about hand foot & mouth

KatyMac Thu 06-Dec-12 19:35:09

Oh & I have spent the last few months dairy free.....so I hope it's not more exclusions sad

InvaderZim Thu 06-Dec-12 19:41:31

I've gotten mouth ulcers my whole life and a sodium lauryl sulfate free toothpaste has worked wonders. Currently using the Weleda one which is fluoride free but a non minging taste. I take what I can get. smile

stopthatmavis Thu 06-Dec-12 19:53:12

Sympathies KatyMac, definitely go down the doctors, I once needed a course of antibiotics for a huge one that wouldn't shift.

I only seem to get them on the roof of my mouth these days and they're so bloody sore and take ages to go.

magimedi88 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:01:48

sodium lauryl sulfate free toothpaste certainly helps & if you are taking ibuprofen in any form, stop! Ibuprofen can lead to horrendous mouth ulcers.

KatyMac Thu 06-Dec-12 22:26:40

Sorry my internet is playing games; I'll post again tomorrow

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I think I will brave the Dr

Kundry Fri 07-Dec-12 00:39:21

See if you can get some iglu gel at your pharmacist - its a gel which sticks over the ulcer so it doesn't hurt. Bonjela tends to sting and then fall off which isn't that helpful.

KatyMac Fri 07-Dec-12 07:39:40

I used to get them as a teenager but haven't had an attack in many years; I am going through a bit atm so I guess I will get my usual diagnosis from the doctor "depression". It gets a bit boring because anything from joint pain (Fibrmyalgia) to headaches (I needed new glasses) to a sore throat gets attributed to "depression"

Never mind - this too will pass

KatyMac Fri 07-Dec-12 18:27:53

I bought some iglu to try later but co-codamol is barely touching the pain

I didn't get to the GP - no cover at work

Badvocsanta Fri 07-Dec-12 18:38:48

Katymac...yes I find that too sad
You may well be physically run down which is not helping...
Have you tried gargling/swishing with soluble solpadeine?
I find it was very good for mouth problems...

Showtime Fri 07-Dec-12 23:24:32

Eating liquorice is supposed to help - not tried it as no problems lately, but couldn't do any harm.

KatyMac Sun 09-Dec-12 11:14:35

They might be getting better - not sure yet

Still bloody hurts

There's a bonjella 'paint' you can get that really helps failing that dotting on TCP... You might feel like passing out but it starts to feel instantly better.

You have my sympathies, I suffer with these underrated horrors!!

KatyMac Sun 09-Dec-12 13:44:56

I'll have a look at the chemist - thanks

Mind you they have started bleeding now sad

DebK2012 Sun 30-Dec-12 16:52:06

You could have chrohns

DebK2012 Sun 30-Dec-12 16:53:03

You could have chrohns

KatyMac Sun 30-Dec-12 22:42:12

Thanks DebK but the doctors have ruled that out, along with coeliac

I've been fine since - I'm wondering if it was a food allergy (not sure what to - coconut & almonds are a problem but I can normally avoid them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now