Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

PMT and depression - anti depressants/other remedies.

(11 Posts)
hazeyjane Mon 03-Dec-12 12:05:39

Does anyone have bouts of extreme depression in the 2 weeks leading up to their periods?

I am 43, and since having ds at 41, have been suffering from awful pmt, and then headaches during and just after my period, which means that I am feeling shot to pieces for a large part of the month.

My gp originally diagnosed me with pnd, and I have been on citalopram for the last year and a half. I stopped taking them a few months ago, because I was feeling as though I was coping with stuff, and on a day to day level I am, but in the pre menstrual period, i am feeling awful.

If I have to i will go back on the anti depressants (which definitely helped with pmt), but I just wondered if anyone had any other treatments that worked for them.

I've posted this in general health as well.

Thankyousmile

hazeyjane Mon 03-Dec-12 12:06:09

sorry, that should say,

I've posted this in mental health as well!

cravingcake Tue 04-Dec-12 20:25:19

I tired hypnosis, it worked for me years after i thought i was ok. Took 3 sessions to 'cure' me. I have bitten my nails to down to nothing all my life & wanted to fix that (after trying every normal type of fix), i also felt i hadnt quite fully shaken the depression so was using the nail biting as a reason to try it. Honestly the best thing ever. I did it privately & was £60 a sessions but is the best money i've ever spent. Would be worth a go if you dont want to go back to anti-depressants. My hypnosis therapist said most people will take between 3 - 6 sessions & i was doubtful but thought i'd try. Felt like a massive black cloud had lifted that i didnt even know was there, when i walked out of my second session.

lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Wed 05-Dec-12 00:10:47

You have my sympathy, HazeyI used to get 10 -14 days where i felt depressed, vague, tearful, bad tempered, food cravings, bloating, insomnia etc I was fine once my period started - i began to feel like a jekyll and hyde type person. I"m past it all now - too old! But i self referred myself onto a research programme at St Thomas's hospital looking at the effectiveness of evening primrose oil for pmt - we were given 3x500 evening primrose capsules a day from about day 12 in the cycle until the period started plus magnesium, b6, vit b, Vit c every day. It worked for me and even now i take a similar combination of pills because i think that i am someone who needs these supplements as my body doesn't process them very well so i become deficient easily so therefore need to top the levels up - instead of getting pmt when i'm low in these things i get other symptoms like leg cramps and insomnia.
Hope this helps - oh, and eat a good healthy diet and try to keep fit.

mercibucket Wed 05-Dec-12 00:33:06

Did you have a thyroid check?

mercibucket Wed 05-Dec-12 00:33:07

Did you have a thyroid check?

topsi Wed 05-Dec-12 09:47:31

I am always a believer in a good diet and vitamin supplements for this sort of thing. I would try a really good multi vit and some EPO.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Dec-12 10:05:52

Thankyou

Someone else mentioned thyroid, because I have found it difficult to lose weight and have been feeling very sluggish and suffering headaches. I will ask gp when i see her.

I tried taking evening primrose for ages, but it made no difference, and that was before having ds, when I thought I had pmt, but really it was nothing compared to what happens now. I agree about the good diet and exercise, I walk a lot and swim, and try to eat healthily (although this all slips when I am feeling really down).

I worry because there is a history of mental health problems in my family, and i feel like I am on a slippery slope.

I have started taking Vitb6 and agnus castus, but if things like that do work, then it may take ages. I honestly don't think i can cope if I hit another wall of depression like the last one.

mercibucket Wed 05-Dec-12 11:59:16

In the years leading up to my underactive thyroid being treated, my pmt got worse and worse until I started to worry I might use violence! It took over 2 weeks of every 4 and was v debilitating. Since starting on thyroxine, it is back to how it used to be, so I get a bit grumpy for a day or two and eat chocolate. I hadn't seen it as one of the thyroid symptoms til it went away. When you get a check, ask for the numbers as maybe you are not bad enough to treat but need regular re-tests. If tsh is over 2, I would be suspicious

mercibucket Wed 05-Dec-12 11:59:16

In the years leading up to my underactive thyroid being treated, my pmt got worse and worse until I started to worry I might use violence! It took over 2 weeks of every 4 and was v debilitating. Since starting on thyroxine, it is back to how it used to be, so I get a bit grumpy for a day or two and eat chocolate. I hadn't seen it as one of the thyroid symptoms til it went away. When you get a check, ask for the numbers as maybe you are not bad enough to treat but need regular re-tests. If tsh is over 2, I would be suspicious

reikizen Wed 05-Dec-12 12:03:57

I have been trying acupuncture for my PMT. I also get very, very angry and suffer from headaches around my periods. So far so good, I have had 3 sessions and although symptoms have not gone completely I can honestly say that this period has been the best one I have had in ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now