Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chest x-ray info?

(18 Posts)
Erebus Fri 15-Feb-13 19:32:11

<Returns secret handshake><looks Worley up and down> <tuts, muttering 'you know that if you want a diagnosis you need a CT, don't you?' grin>

<offence caused, strolls away...>

MrSlant Fri 15-Feb-13 17:07:29

<checks everything has been covered>

<gives the secret radiographer handshake to Worley and MsArse>

<adjusts lead apron and leaves>

QuinionsRainbow Fri 15-Feb-13 16:54:24

DH had one yesterday. Very quick, just told to take off upper clothes, no gown, bare chest during the exposure. Digital technology, all done and dusted in 5 minutes!

Worley Wed 05-Dec-12 18:02:37

no.. we're safe lol!! I work in Suffolk..trained in London. but am a Sonographer now.. I moved to the dark side ;)

MsArsebiscuit Tue 04-Dec-12 22:17:14

Oooh, Worley, that'd be a worry, do you work in Hertfordshire ? Or even more worrying, trained in Manchester ?

Worley Tue 04-Dec-12 18:12:07

MsArseBiscuit... secret hand shake back... hmm wondering if I know you!

MsArsebiscuit Tue 04-Dec-12 15:14:19

( Gives Worley special secret radiographer handshake )

Worley Mon 03-Dec-12 21:22:14

Duckling did you realise you have two threads exactly the same ? or is it me?
other X-ray thread?

MsArsebiscuit Mon 03-Dec-12 21:14:32

Duckling, you will be asked to take everything off above your waist and put a hospital gown on ( some places will let you just wear a plain, thin t-shirt but it's best to assume that you'll wear a gown ). Remember to take off any necklaces before you go in.If you have very long thick hair or a long plait, it's better to clip it up out of the way - plaits so long that they trail down your back can show up.

The radiographer will call you into the room, check your name, address and date of birth. They may ask you some other questions about your symptoms or your treatment so far, this is so they can write it on the xray form and give the radiologist more information.

They'll ask you to stand with your chest against the detector/cassette, put the backs of your hands on your hips and push your elbows and shoulders forward, which moves your shoulder blades out of the way of your lung fields, if you can't do this because you have painful shoulders etc, the radiographer may position your arms differently. There'll be a minute where the radiographer makes sure that you're straight enough and adjusts the xray field, then they go behind the control panel and tell you to breathe in and hold your breath, this is only for a tiny fraction of a second - maybe 0.25. If it's a digital room they will see the image straight away, look at it for a few moments and decide if they're happy with it, tell you to relax and how to get your results. If it's not digital then they may ask you to wait outside while they put it through the reader and then come to tell you can leave.
If you have any questions at the time just ask the radiographer. They won't tell you if they can see anything wrong on the film but if they think you need more urgent medical treatment they'll ask one of the radiologists for advice and then advise you what to do.
Any more questions, feel free to ask me.

flemer Mon 03-Dec-12 13:25:54

Our posture is very important for the best results of the any x-ray.There must be no metal piece on the body part specially that part where we want to get x-ray result.For the chest x-ray we we should stand erect to get the best outcome of the procedure.

Elibean Sat 01-Dec-12 16:19:56

I don't think glasses matter, as long as you don't wear them round your neck wink

Good luck!

you won't need to hold breath for long -don't fret !

digerd Sat 01-Dec-12 10:24:52

In UK I have had a few chest x-rays and is always only one from the front. No bra but gown on, standing up.

In Germany I had x-ray from the front and 1 each side, just as a screening measure - thought that was very thorough, as from the front, the heart throws a shadow and anything behind it does not show up.

Ducklings45 Sat 01-Dec-12 10:24:41

Matter*

Ducklings45 Sat 01-Dec-12 10:24:30

Thanks! what if you cannot hold your breath for very long, will that mater?

Hulababy Sat 01-Dec-12 09:19:01

Stand up
How many they take depends on what they are looking for I guess. Think I had 2 or 3.
Upper clothes off. Gown on.
Takes a few minutes all in. Xray takes seconds.
No idea re glasses.

stand in front of a screen thing,upper clothes off and gown on - you'll be asked to breathe in and hold your breath - takes seconds and you can wear your specs !

Ducklings45 Fri 30-Nov-12 23:39:15

Can anyone share any info?

-do you stand up or lay down?
- how many angles do they x-ray e.g. do they take 3, one from each angle?
- do you wear clothes/ hospital gown? If so, how much do you strip down?
-how long does it take?
- what would you do if you wear glasses?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now