Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

To ask for help with a truly embarrassing and minging problem. Very TMI!

(38 Posts)
TruePoll Fri 30-Nov-12 10:54:54

First things first, I'll report my post to MN so they can hopefully pop on and verify I'm a long term poster, and most definitely NOT the poo troll! grin

I have a prolapse from the birth of my DC (a rectocele), I have already seen my GP and been referred to a consultant, who will hopefully get me straight in for surgery (fingers crossed).

The trouble is, I am very constipated and I don't know why - I eat a very healthy diet, almost completely vegetarian, drink pints and pints of water, the only thing I can attribute it to is medication for an unrelated condition (constipation is listed as a possible side effect, along with almost every health problem you could think of!)

So we get to the gruesome bit... When I poo, the poo goes into the herniated bit, and the huge lump goes into my vagina. When not constipated, I just need to push this lump and out it comes. When I am constipated... Well, it doesn't go anywhere... It's stuck. Luckily this time (I just pooed. Waaaay oversharing!) a lot of wiggling, pushing and crying and out it came. Followed by blood. But it took a lot of work and I'm worried that maybe next time it won't! sad

Can anyone help?
I have mentioned it to my doctor btw, but she basically just said eat more veg, drink more water, see the consultant.

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Fri 30-Nov-12 15:31:48

Jenai I am so sorry

Op lots of folk here with similar probs

Do see your gp, like they say, they've seen it all before

Have a hug from me

whizmum Fri 30-Nov-12 17:14:46

I too have this problems blush

I have had it for too long (my son is adult)

I have finally gone to the doctor and been referred on - I would love to poo normally and don't understand why it has taken me so long!

I have recently been given cerazette which has caused a constipation problem, and am now trying something else. Usually, I eat porridge for breakfast and maybe a banana and raisins. I am now supplementing that with dried apricots. I am now trying to eat them just in the morning, to get a regular thing going hmm. I am currently suffering too many dried apricots and that has caused the other problem (which you don't want to know about confused)

Onebadbackandalostpelvicfloor Fri 30-Nov-12 17:27:20

I too have this problem. I find eating weetabix helps (it goes through me like anything!) and also push on my perineum rather than the bulge in my fanjo works best to help it along. I bleed a lot after each poo and been told its both a fissure and a pile bleeding at the same time.

I need surgery but they won't refer me until I've finished my family.

bonzo77 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:37:25

Movicol is available OTC. Thats the brand name, you can get generic magrogol sachets. Drink lots with it. Start with one a day and increase till you are comfortable. You might then be able to cut back a little.

ArthurPewty Fri 30-Nov-12 17:47:17

I have no problem posting about rectocele in my normal name.

I have tectocele, cystocele, enterocele, and two bleeding anal fissures that open every time my bowels do.

I also push to poo.

And there are times when that wont work - and digital extraction is the only answer.

I'm waiting to see the gyn. The colorectal guy says he can fix the back, but he doesn't do bladders, so waiting to see the gyn guy who does fix bladders.

My "defecating proctogram" was dated March 2010 - and i'm still waiting.

So yeah. basically normal for me. Cos its been more than ten years and still no fix!

ArthurPewty Fri 30-Nov-12 17:47:40

tectocele? I have a 4 year old helping me type - that's enough to cause majour havoc!

*rectocele

HELPMyPooIsStuck Fri 30-Nov-12 17:51:40

Just came on to pat you on the back op, ive been there sad

You can buy lactulose, movicol and laxido over the counter at a pharmacy; I've done so when in dire need (and not able to get a quick appt)

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Nov-12 19:03:40

Hello there
We're going to move this thread to our general health topic

TruePoll Fri 30-Nov-12 19:19:56

Thanks everyone, will follow all thw advice here, and leep a food diary for a few days. Time to change back to my normal namr, I'll try to remember to come back and update grin

l4k Fri 30-Nov-12 20:01:12

I had this problem up untill I was fixed with an operation a year ago. Other than what you're already doing I can recommend linseeds, either daily or every other day. Put about a table spoon in a glass of water and wait for them to soften a bit. (a few hours) then down the lot. I lived on them, took them on holidays, nights away, everywhere .
I now resort to the less powerful version, flaxseeds, if I feel the need but that's only occasionally .
It's nice to be able to do a poo at the first attempt and without crying. I waited too long for my op. my rectocele was 10 years old !!!!!!
Good luck.

Footle Fri 30-Nov-12 20:15:47

OP , what you are doing even has a name - it's called splinting , or manual evacuation. I had my rectocele repaired and I'm very proud to say I now poo straight. But I still need Movicol at least once a day , as well as loads of veg and water, and expect I always will : prunes and oranges would be a more fun way to the same effect but I need to keep my sugar intake low.

Faecal impaction is what they call it when it makes you cry. Don't ever let it happen again. And don't ever think you are alone with a particular problem !

omletta England Fri 30-Nov-12 20:21:26

People often mention suppositories - have you tried those.

The problem is that once the poo dries out it is very difficult to soften it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now