Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

If you are over 40, is your general health much worse?

(36 Posts)
Furoshika Tue 20-Nov-12 11:51:38

I am 41 and have realised that over the past two years, my health has gradually declined.

For example I now get every cold going, and am laid low again with a chesty - but mainly totally draining - virus.

I feel like I'm a few weeks pregnant - totally out of sorts, often nauseous, knackered - but I feel like that all the time now sad

I eat well, am slightly overweight but not much, I don't exercise madly or anything but have always had a basic level of fitness, I don't drink loads and nothing major has changed.

Is this just a symptom of ageing?

nethunsreject Fri 30-Nov-12 20:55:12

I'm loads healthier now. Like others have said, being older has spurred me on to look after myself and I feel great. Sorry, op!

judefawley Fri 30-Nov-12 20:52:30

This thread is a bit depressing.

I am much, much fitter and toned than before I had children. I do weigh about a stone more though, but I don't think 8 stone something and I will be buddies again any time soon. I have low blood pressure and really low cholesterol. I think I last had a cold 2 years ago.

But, I don't work full time and my youngest is 10. My friends that are 40+ and have really young kids are infinitely more knackered and prone to illness.

amillionyears Fri 30-Nov-12 20:37:38

Not really. Except general fitness is not so good. [Though it never was brilliant to be fair]

shrimponastick Fri 30-Nov-12 20:33:25

No. O would say my general health is a lot better in recent years.

I exercise now, no longer smoke, drink less, eat much 'cleaner', and have much more leisure time.

I rarely get a cold or whatever bug is doing the rounds.

Just cursed myself there, didn't I ??

digerd Thu 29-Nov-12 20:54:17

From a young age I trained as a ballet dancer, then modern dance and jazz dance. Also taught later. It was when I was 45, that I noticed becoming stiff and feeling exhausted after teaching and demonstrating ( like a 20 year-old) for 2 hours. At 48 I suddenly was moving in 1st gear/ slow motion, and thought it must be the Change. Went on HRT and felt 20 years younger. Not that I was ever able to do the splits again.

BsshBossh Thu 29-Nov-12 20:32:55

I'm fitter and slimmer in my 40s compared to my 30s but that's because I've put the effort into it since turning 40.

I get more colds and stomach bugs since 40 but I put that down to having a 4 year old child who catches everything then passes it all onto e!

I am definitely stiffer and less flexible in my 40s though and I put that down to age.

Elegantlywasted Thu 22-Nov-12 17:42:10

The thought of hitting 40 was the kick up the bum I needed to improve my diet and exercise more. I find I have less colds etc now I am fitter. I do find that if I overstrain muscles though that it takes longer for them to recover

ivykaty44 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:41:58

I feel fine and although I have thyroid issue seem to be doing ok, get to the gym 4-5 times a week and eat a pretty decent diet.

I will add though having one teen and one in her twenties is far better for me than one in nappies, I can't imagine going back to those days and do enjoy my freedom

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 22-Nov-12 17:36:50

I'm 49 apart from being a bit more creaky my general health is no worse than it was 20 years ago. It's probably better truth be told because I'm way less stressed and I'm exercising more.

Elibean Thu 22-Nov-12 14:57:37

I'm 52 now - either I've adjusted, or I feel better again: either way, I think of myself as being in pretty good health and reasonably fit. Which I didn't at 40.

Then again, I had both my dds in my 40s!

My bet is that its the adjustment 'phase' of declining hormones and increasing aches and pains that is hard.....then hormones settle down, one gets used to aches, and with any luck it all feels better again smile

(just to give you all hope.....)

Furoshika Thu 22-Nov-12 14:31:52

OK I am convinced I am an old crock. Shit.

YES to PMS arriving with ovulation. It's like a switch has been flicked. It means I spend half a month in a state of derangement, about two days feeling 'myself' and the rest of the time in a sort of limbo.

ouryve Thu 22-Nov-12 14:30:07

I've always had lts of aches and pains. I'm 43 and last year, after things getting much much worse, spending whole nights unable to sleep because of the pain and losing most of the movement in my left thumb almost overnight, I was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. My periods are still fairly regular, but the PMS starts at the moment when i should have finished ovulating (I don't seem to do that every month, any more, specially in winter) and carries on relentlessly until my next ovulation is due. Some periods are 5 day gush fests and others barely happen (though I still get the other symptoms). The appearance of my libido is a whaheyyy get off your x-box and open us a bottle of wine event for me and DH.

And the only compensation for the belly is the boobs.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 22-Nov-12 14:23:52

No, 49 and the complete opposite.

No, I am 46 and feel just the same as always (may not look the same, but hey ho!).

AND I had a baby at 43 and11 months <<beats *hairytale>> grin

My DH is almost 4 years younger than me and recently accused me of 'deception' because I "had not warned him that the body falls apart after 40" - "Speak for thyself" I said wink.

Having said that, my arms are getting to short for reading in the last couple of years... And I mourn the loss of my waist, not weight gain as such, just the famous middle-age spread, gah!

Madlizzy Thu 22-Nov-12 14:17:35

I'm nearly 43 and in good health, the only real problem is my knees, but that's a long standing problem I've always had.

grimbletart Thu 22-Nov-12 14:14:40

A few teeth troubles now and a disc prolapse corrected by surgery when I was 50. Some arthritis in my knees - so mechanical stuff a bit worse IYSWIM, but general health better. I haven't had flu since one bout in 1986 and I haven't had a cold since I can remember - at least 10 years, probably more. I was still working a 50 plus hour week until I retired a couple of years ago. I'm 69.

Haven't been to the quack's for 8 years. So poorer health certainly not inevitable. Cheer up everyone smile

iseenodust Thu 22-Nov-12 11:32:29

No, health is as before which was generally good. Agree with others teeth seem to be ageing first.

Furoshika Thu 22-Nov-12 11:26:50

Lots of different experiences. I hear you about 'use it or lose it': I feel weighty now, when (at the same weight but younger) I used to feel fine. What a bugger that losing weight isn't now as simple as three weeks off the sauce grin

Arcticwaffle Thu 22-Nov-12 11:15:52

I do wonder if I get more tired. I'm 44 and generally very healthy in that I'm very rarely actually ill, but I often feel knackered. last year I thought I might have thyriod problems but it turned out to be anaemia, I'm a veggie with quite heavy periods, maybe they are getting heavier.

It's really hard to tell though, I have a full time job and d3 dc, I do quite a lot socially, I exercise a fair amount, so I can't tell whether I'm reasonably or excessively tired.

VicarInaTutu Wed 21-Nov-12 22:41:44

ill join but i dont know if its due to my age or stress.

im pretty sure that mine is due in the most part to reflux and the ensuing cough and loss of voice that come with that....i aspirate into my lungs and get a chest infection often. (just had one, cough free for 1 week then got its daddy) sad

whatever it is i have noticed a marked decline in my health since turning 40. im not 41 yet sad

Viperidae Wed 21-Nov-12 22:37:26

Yes and no. In my 40s my teeth fell apart, I wheezed constantly and often felt under par. Since turning 50 I feel much better!

Badvocsanta Wed 21-Nov-12 22:23:41

Oh! And fecking skin tags!
Why did no ine warn me!?
(Weeps)

Corygal Wed 21-Nov-12 22:19:49

Yes - every prev ignored minor ailment is a major PITA.

Periods so bad you can't do a journey more than 45 min - back pain - hypermobility leading to dislocated/subluxed joints that take ages to go back - comedy sweats - thyroid gone so hoarse like tramp - infections need max strength antibiotics. Anemia from piles.

What is REALLY ANNOYING is that all these are minor ailments that punch out all your energy and strength and are often foully painful, but don't count as a reason to stay off work.

orangeandlemons Wed 21-Nov-12 22:14:18

Yyy to exhausted all the time. Too tired to move in the evening

Badvocsanta Wed 21-Nov-12 22:12:28

I turned 40 last month.
This year has been awful for me.
Herniated disc in my back
Gynae issues
Anaemia
Just feel so tired all the time.
It's horrid sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now