Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you are over 40, is your general health much worse?

(36 Posts)
Furoshika Tue 20-Nov-12 11:51:38

I am 41 and have realised that over the past two years, my health has gradually declined.

For example I now get every cold going, and am laid low again with a chesty - but mainly totally draining - virus.

I feel like I'm a few weeks pregnant - totally out of sorts, often nauseous, knackered - but I feel like that all the time now sad

I eat well, am slightly overweight but not much, I don't exercise madly or anything but have always had a basic level of fitness, I don't drink loads and nothing major has changed.

Is this just a symptom of ageing?

Furoshika Thu 22-Nov-12 14:31:52

OK I am convinced I am an old crock. Shit.

YES to PMS arriving with ovulation. It's like a switch has been flicked. It means I spend half a month in a state of derangement, about two days feeling 'myself' and the rest of the time in a sort of limbo.

Elibean Thu 22-Nov-12 14:57:37

I'm 52 now - either I've adjusted, or I feel better again: either way, I think of myself as being in pretty good health and reasonably fit. Which I didn't at 40.

Then again, I had both my dds in my 40s!

My bet is that its the adjustment 'phase' of declining hormones and increasing aches and pains that is hard.....then hormones settle down, one gets used to aches, and with any luck it all feels better again smile

(just to give you all hope.....)

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 22-Nov-12 17:36:50

I'm 49 apart from being a bit more creaky my general health is no worse than it was 20 years ago. It's probably better truth be told because I'm way less stressed and I'm exercising more.

ivykaty44 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:41:58

I feel fine and although I have thyroid issue seem to be doing ok, get to the gym 4-5 times a week and eat a pretty decent diet.

I will add though having one teen and one in her twenties is far better for me than one in nappies, I can't imagine going back to those days and do enjoy my freedom

Elegantlywasted Thu 22-Nov-12 17:42:10

The thought of hitting 40 was the kick up the bum I needed to improve my diet and exercise more. I find I have less colds etc now I am fitter. I do find that if I overstrain muscles though that it takes longer for them to recover

BsshBossh Thu 29-Nov-12 20:32:55

I'm fitter and slimmer in my 40s compared to my 30s but that's because I've put the effort into it since turning 40.

I get more colds and stomach bugs since 40 but I put that down to having a 4 year old child who catches everything then passes it all onto e!

I am definitely stiffer and less flexible in my 40s though and I put that down to age.

digerd Thu 29-Nov-12 20:54:17

From a young age I trained as a ballet dancer, then modern dance and jazz dance. Also taught later. It was when I was 45, that I noticed becoming stiff and feeling exhausted after teaching and demonstrating ( like a 20 year-old) for 2 hours. At 48 I suddenly was moving in 1st gear/ slow motion, and thought it must be the Change. Went on HRT and felt 20 years younger. Not that I was ever able to do the splits again.

shrimponastick Fri 30-Nov-12 20:33:25

No. O would say my general health is a lot better in recent years.

I exercise now, no longer smoke, drink less, eat much 'cleaner', and have much more leisure time.

I rarely get a cold or whatever bug is doing the rounds.

Just cursed myself there, didn't I ??

amillionyears Fri 30-Nov-12 20:37:38

Not really. Except general fitness is not so good. [Though it never was brilliant to be fair]

judefawley Fri 30-Nov-12 20:52:30

This thread is a bit depressing.

I am much, much fitter and toned than before I had children. I do weigh about a stone more though, but I don't think 8 stone something and I will be buddies again any time soon. I have low blood pressure and really low cholesterol. I think I last had a cold 2 years ago.

But, I don't work full time and my youngest is 10. My friends that are 40+ and have really young kids are infinitely more knackered and prone to illness.

nethunsreject Fri 30-Nov-12 20:55:12

I'm loads healthier now. Like others have said, being older has spurred me on to look after myself and I feel great. Sorry, op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now