Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial ablation

(7 Posts)
Sidge Sat 17-Nov-12 09:14:55

I had an ablation done 2 months ago. I have had two periods since then but they lasted three days instead of ten and a tampon lasted five or six hours instead of two.

I'm really pleased I had it done.

NewFerry Sat 17-Nov-12 08:48:44

I had one a year ago, just before Christmas. It went well, back home by 3pm, spent a couple of days on the sofa, and took paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly for pain relief. I didn't need the codeine I had also been given, but tbh I think that as long as you are sensible and dont expect too much from yourself for say the next week, then you'll be fine.
Also, I haven't had a period since!

Zippylovesgeorge Sat 17-Nov-12 08:31:05

I had mine done in January having previously been sterilised a few years earlier.

I was fine afterwards - felt brilliant - probably because I was no longer worried about extremely heavy bleeding/flooding.

Had no probs since - worse bit was waiting the 6 weeks for the bedroom athletics to be allowed again!!

chocolateistheenemy Fri 16-Nov-12 21:33:57

I had one yesterday along with laparoscopic sterilisation. Op was under GA and I was home by last night.
So far my symptoms are:
1. V sore throat due to tube - too dry to swallow food. Had to wash it down with water.
2. Bloated from the gas they pumped into me - quite painful to touch stomach or wear trousers.
3. Incision sites really not too sore.
I will update as to how it affects my periods but as yet, no blood loss.

cocolepew Tue 06-Nov-12 23:45:21

I had it done about 4 years ago. Stopped my periods completely, not even light or spotting, that some people get.

MrsShrek3 Tue 06-Nov-12 23:42:29

Yes, and yes smile
I've no idea what the norm is, but I've got a mirena too. So NO periods for the last 4 years gringrin

I am due to get this done soon. Has anyone else been ablated? Has it made a huge difference to your periods? Nobody I know has even heard of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now