Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Gallbladder Removal next week - does anyone have any POSITIVE stories?

(29 Posts)
trickynicky Thu 11-Oct-12 13:35:22

Oh my goodness, I wish I hadn't searched on line but almost everyone seems to have bad things to say about gallbladder surgery recovery. I am having mine removed next week and very much looking forward to getting it over with but from what I am reading, recovery seems to be way harder than the surgeon is letting on! I'm terrified!

Can ANYONE reassure me at all? [hmmm]

dulwichparkrunner Sat 16-Mar-13 14:29:32

Hello - I can honestly say my gall bladder op was incredibly straight forward. My recovery was quick and it was the best decision I could have made. 

Like you, I had been seriously put off having this op from reading the stories online. So much so that when my op was scheduled - I backed out and cancelled it. 
I reckoned that by sticking strictly to a low fat diet that I could manage the condition and avoid surgery. 

Despite rigorously eating low fat the attacks kept coming and so I very reluctantly went back on the waiting list - my op went ahead and I couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome. 

I couldn't have it laproscopicly so I had open surgery. No one warned me that I might feel nauseous the day after the op - so I was a bit freaked out by a single episode of vomiting bright green bile. Doc said this was quite normal. 

I was as sore as u would expect from surgery - but oh the relief to eat exactly how I please - I have no dietary restrictions at all. 

I had been nervous about the "dumping" syndrome I had read about. Perhaps this is too much information - I have never suffered from this but I would say what I produce is marginally "looser" than before.  Also if I ate an exceptionally absolutely massive high fat meal - say a giant Xmas style dinner with all trimmings  I'd find I'd need the toilet within an hour or two. (a minor inconvenience)

Having the op has immeasurably changed my life for the better. I 
I eat everthing and anything I please without giving it a second thought. 
Good luck!

Footle Sun 17-Mar-13 08:41:20

What does nbsp mean ?

My gall bladder op was uneventful and a total success. Hope this helps.

GrownupGoth Sun 17-Mar-13 10:10:58

I had my gallbladder out in Sept 2011. Late afternoon surgery so had to stay overnight, home the next morning. I found the gas pains in my shoulders worse than anything else but they dissipated, of course painkillers and resting help.

Up and back to normal very quickly, no dietary restrictions but like some other people have said high fat foods do affect me slightly. Four tiny scars. I'm so glad I don't have the hideous pain any more smile

Walterarc Mon 10-Jun-13 23:58:21

I never realised I gall bladder problems till I was taken in hospital after I came back from the Dominican Republic in 2004- my GP thought I might have a tropical disease so he made a phone call and had me admitted to Hospital. during test upon test they found I had gall stones but also another Dr discovered that my ECG was not as it should be. To cut a long story short eventually-years later it was discovered that I had 30mm tear in my atrium (the wall in the centre of the heart)otherwise known as an atrial septal defect.meanwhile I was still getting gall stone attacks after eating pie and chips for instance- but I stuck to rabbit food and was ok and just took paracetamol and tramodol if did have an attack and a couple of pints of larger which took the pain off. My cardiologist said I would have to have a sternotomy then open heart surgery so I could have my atrium repaired-at this point I asked if the surgeon could take my gall bladder out at the same time, you know if the gas people have got the road up and the electricity people need to do something do it at the same time-but my consultant went ape- he said no way could it be done while they had my chest open. Now I have got to have surgery again but reading all the stories I wonder is it worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now