Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

adult asthma/chest infection season

(35 Posts)
ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Mon 01-Oct-12 23:32:04

October now and right on que I have a tight chest, sore when I breath in, coughing up crap, wheezey and breathless on exersion.

Come and join in my moans. <splutter>

Just remember to cover your mouth! grin

CrunchyFrog Sat 19-Jan-13 22:38:23

Hello, bumpy bumping as just out of hospital and hoping you guys have sage advice.

First of all, low PF means something different to me than most I think - my "normal," ie, when I'm just on my preventer (symbicort) is 550 (I'm a singer/ flautist, which helps)

I took a tiny cold on New Years Day, was on steroids by 3rd Jan and then went back to work a few days later. For that time was on 40mg pred, singulair, symbicort and salbuatmol.

PF not yet back to normal, then got caught in the rain there on Friday morning, had to go to GP for rescue nebs, they didn't work, so back on steroids, and a few hours later off to casualty (in the stupid snow) for investigations and more nebs.

O2 never below 94, but resps at 33 for several hours, and an awful cough with bronchospasm. Moderate infection in bloods, nothing in particular on xray.

Admitted last night for more nebs and anti-bs, then home this afternoon on the strict understanding that I farm the kids out and don't do anything. Steroids for 2 weeks, but reducing dose (after I got a bit upset, I Do Not Sleep while on pred, and I'm convinced that it hinders healing.)

I am normally completely fine, it is seriously only when I get the cold that I get difficulties, but they are talking about referring me to "difficult asthma" clinic, I guess because once it starts it is tricky to resolve.

Anyway, on sofa now, no realistic prospect of sleep after approx 2 hours last night, Pf good at 400, cough only when I move/ talk etc.

Any advice? I haven't been this bad in a long while, been so careful with diet/ exercise/ not smoking/ no triggers etc, but had a terrible stressful drunken unhealthy Xmas, and I think that's why I got the cold. sad Only 3 months into my new job, terribly worried about that.

TIA for any handholding!

thegreylady Thu 08-Nov-12 13:19:00

I have been taking one loratadine tablet a day since mid October and it has helped a bit. I use Serevent and Qvar inhalers daily. My chest is gurgly and I have a sore throat. I had flu jab a couple of weeks ago. I am going to ask for a booster pneumonia jab seeing as I had pneumonia in May. Good luck fellow wheezers.

Haemadoots Wed 07-Nov-12 19:19:14

Anybody about? I have the lurgy sad feel awful

Haemadoots Thu 11-Oct-12 20:21:58

It's cantdoright here back in my normal guise, sounds like you had a good chat and at least you have a "plan" I used a sinus rinse last year when I was absolutely desperate (chest infection went on for 8 weeks) felt like it was coming from my sinuses it did give me some relief so it won't do any harm to try it, it was called sterimar.

Thank you smile

Well I've been seen and thoroughly reviewed. Good to chat through a few concerns and issues and also to hear confirmation that I am right to be concerned that my PF is so consistently low (absolutely best - 290; more usual - 250; when poorly - lets not think about that!!) so the aim (other than just staying well!) is to increase my PF ad general lung function so that when/if things flare, it may not get as bad as in previous years. Bit of a vague action plan, but it works for me!

So I am now taking:
Fostair 100/6 - 2 puffs twice a day
Ventolin - PRN
Avamys nasal spray - 2 sprays per day
Cetirizine tablet (to be added in if needed)
Nystan (when Fostair inevitably causes oral thrush)
And a plan to introduce Montelukast when I'm no longer breastfeeding.
I also need to go and investigate sinus rinse stuff - anyone got any experience of these...?

Think that's all.... confused

What was my name again...?!! wink

How are we all...? MPD

Cantdoright Thu 11-Oct-12 07:35:49

Good luck mpd, hope isn't improves soon.

Going to the doctors tomorrow for asthma advice and repeat prescriptions. Have horrible chronic sinusitis at the moment so hoping she will address this too - it definitely contributes.

KatyMac Mon 08-Oct-12 07:59:30

He takes a daily antiboitic Doxycycline, Fostair is his inhaler alongside an antihistamine, nasal spray, something to calm his tummy; hang on I'll get a print out - it's easier

I think it's the Doxycycline plus vigorous exercise that has done it tbh; the exercise is a really big part of his regime

Beclometasone Aqueous Nasal Spray 50 micrograms/actuation
Montelukast Sodium Tablets 10 mg
Salbutamol Cfc-Free Inhaler 100 micrograms/puff
Cetirizine Hydrochloride Tablets 10 mg
Carbocisteine Capsules 375 mg
Doxycycline Hyclate Capsules 100 mg L
Lansoprazole Capsules
Fostair Cfc-Free Inhaler 100 micrograms + 6 micrograms/dose

wishiwasonholiday Mon 08-Oct-12 07:50:12

Katymac can I ask what he takes now? I had similar my consultant couldn't believe how many lots of steroids I'd had and am going back next week to see what his ideas are. I spent all last night coughing so think I may be getting another infection.

sittinginthesun Mon 08-Oct-12 07:40:36

Tedhutchinson - I am really interested in the possible connection with Vitamin D deficiency and asthma. I believe I am vi d deficient and have asthma!

Don't want to hijack this thread - is there any chance you could start another based on this topic?

Hope you are all feeling okay today. X

KatyMac Mon 08-Oct-12 07:30:06

DH had 13 chest infections in 11 months & was eventually referred to Papworth

Three years later after many, many different cocktails of drugs & in Dec 10 they tried something new. I'm not going to tempt fate by saying it but guess what we haven't had since then?

giraffesCantGoGuisingAsZebras Mon 08-Oct-12 07:22:03

Oh dear MPD my dear, you look after yourself! I know I fall in to that "I don't have it, oh no" trap too!

MrsD hope it helps when you start taking them regularly again

I have a powder inhaler - Bricanyl terbutaline sulphate? which I have instead of the usual blue inhaler. My GP swapped me onto it because the other one gave me heart palpitations and the shakes which I hated, so I wouldn't use it blush TBH I don't really notice the powder when I breath it in and it makes me cough less than the aerosol ones. Even using a spacer I can't seem to keep much in/down (you know what I mean!)

Apart from that, I'm in misspollysdolly's camp. Had a pretty good summer, been off the steroid inhalers and only used the Bricanyl maybe once or twice a week (plants are evil little buggers) but now the weather's turned I'm back to night coughs and no sleep and coughing until I throw up/pee myself during the day. Awesome. It's partly my own fault though as I'm horrendous at getting back into the routine of taking inhalers morning and night so cause most of the problems myself.

I'm in...sad

Been so well for months. Had just reached the time of year when I start thinking 'Maybe I'm not even - and never was - asthmatic after all...?!' ('Fraudplex' hits hard...hmm ) and then WHAM! Chest, throat, eyes, sinuses and skin have all blown. Am a bit of a mess, truth be told sad MPD

alibobins Sun 07-Oct-12 13:06:29

Maybe I will stick to his normal inhalers as he takes them no problems so don't want to cause upset x x Thanks x x

wishiwasonholiday Sun 07-Oct-12 12:50:49

Fostair is a cheaper version of seretide or so my gp said when they changed my prescription once, i didn't like the taste of it so they put me back on seretide.

giraffesCantGoGuisingAsZebras Sun 07-Oct-12 12:30:16

When I was in hospital an asthma nurse made me try and I promptly started spitting as I had a loud of manky powder in my mouth. She looked at me like this hmm and said "be honest if you had that at home would you take it?" I said NO! So she just put me on the normal inhaler kind! They idea of breathing in powder makes me feel a bit strange!

Haemadoots Sun 07-Oct-12 07:18:33

Hmm I remember the powdered ones as a child, not keen on them either.

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Sat 06-Oct-12 23:18:38

I hate the powdered ones!

alibobins Sat 06-Oct-12 20:25:21

Do any of you use the powdered inhalers? Ds1 is severe asthmatic and takes seritide ventolin montelukast nose sprays and ceterizine. We have a home nebuliser and Emergancy steroids at home. The consultant mentioned last week that he may consider changing ds's inhalers to powdered ones but didn't really explain why x

Haemadoots Sat 06-Oct-12 11:09:43

Argh I just typed a huge post and lost it sad Giraffes, sleepy hope you feeling a bit better today.

I am getting that tight chested raw throat feeling sad have been so well all summer.

On the subject of flu jabs, I had one about 7 years ago, great no pr0blems, then had the swine flu jab in 2009, it absolutely floored me, but I dont know if it was the jab or just conincedence! Have been wary ever since but would love to get the flu jab this year as was awful last winter, any one else have a reaction to the swine flu jab and be ok with the normal flu jab?

I had asthma review last week and the nurse said if I was struggling she would put me on fostair, is this a new inhaler, I have never heard of it.

ORANGEgiraffesCantWearGOLD Fri 05-Oct-12 22:37:51

Yup I get flu jab now, only since I developed asthma though. Not had it this year yet as been too ill.

I feel shitty! Wheezey and breathless and sore chest. I am getting my voice back though!

SleepyLittleSunshineGirl Fri 05-Oct-12 09:00:20

Hi Giraffes still coughing! How about you? I'm now taking my Boots 'vitality' powders (vitality! I'd settle for 'can walk upstairs in one go' ATM!) and trying to rest. Hope you are feeling better today.

cheese yep - flu jab every year, but clinic hasnt started yet at mu surgery, so the chest infec got in first. I had the pneumo jab last winter after pneumonia the year before. I'm not taking any chances!

ParrotTulip Fri 05-Oct-12 06:47:18

I always have the flu jab.

Marking my place to read later. Do you guys have the flu jab? I was still getting chest infections in april of this year sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now