Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid Tests - need a list to ask my GP???

(30 Posts)
rockinhippy Fri 17-Aug-12 10:55:06

Just that really - I finally have my MRI scan results back & thankfully clear so I have an appointment in the morning to go & battle it out & I need to be very prepared - I have the thyroid UK check list to take in, which I score close to 100% on - but I know from previous requests for tests & endo referral this is still going to be a battle - even though thyroid trouble is rife in my familyhmm

I remember reading that some vit/mineral tests can indicate thyroid too, anyone know these ??

also what are the more indepth tests again - T4 ?? etc - previous basic tests have come back okay - but I believe I have the sort of thyroid where my body makes it, so TSH (?) is in my blood, but not using it properly - getting diagnosis has been very hard for all my family - years - decades - I did after a battle have the more indepth tests a few years back, which came back positive - retest - borderline - & then negative so no diagnosis

Also does anyone know what are the criteria for an endocrynolist(sp) refferral - have been told by one GP, no referral as I'm not symptomatichmm - M.E. Fibromyalgia & Chronic migraine diagnosishmm - next one said no because of test results.

Things are getting worse, numbness in hands etc now permanent, along with weekly migraine symptoms lasting days & more, so now I know for sure its not MS I want to fight for proper testing & treatment - but damned migraine making reading the net & making sense of it very difficult

any advice much apreciated

TIA

mercibucket Wed 14-Nov-12 23:09:42

Op, have you tried a private appointment with a GP recommended on thyroid uk?

LottyA Sat 17-Nov-12 08:53:36

Thanks for that Mercibucket,
I had forgotten about vit d. Will give that a go. I think I have probably been hypothyroid for a long time but have only just come within the permitted band. That's a rubbish and scary place to be. I think I need to accept that now and get on with it. But the model used by GPs is a blunt instrument and leaves women under informed and anxious. I know depression is part of Hypothyroidism but I think that anyone left worrying by lack of information and lack of thyroid diagnosis due to the method gp's use is just as likely to cause it too.
It's a scandal really.

mercibucket Sat 17-Nov-12 09:08:33

I agree, lottie, and I think the b12 seems to be the same. Both affect women and make them 'tired and anxious' aka 'hypochondriacs' in the eyes of the medical profession.
Did you watch the 'holy miracle of the infalliable tsh' on youtube yet?

tidyjane Sat 17-Nov-12 17:31:54

I'm pissed off against doctors too, I have all the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism and I think I'm borderline but she completely dismissed it and categorically said there was nothing wrong with me, she kept me 5 minutes in her surgery.
Can anyone advise my results are: TSH level: 1.5mlU/L
Free T4: 11.3
They didn't check for Free T3 or Antibodies test for Graves or vitamin B12.
My vitamin D is 68.3 (normal range 75-375)
Ferritin 28 (norm 11-300 confused)
My sister has had hyperthyroidism, and my 2 cousins from my dad's side.

LottyA Fri 23-Nov-12 17:34:13

Hi Tidyjane,
The only way sometimes to get doctors to listen to you is to make a nuisance of yourself. Make several appointments (allowing fir the fact to the first two or three won't work) and take a lst of things you want to be checked for. If your doctor refuses to test you ask for a note to be put on your file that you have requested these tests. She will hate that as it presses their accountability buttons. Good luck. This is ridiculous that we have to jump through such hoops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now