Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones and low fat diets

(112 Posts)
chocaholic73 Mon 06-Aug-12 19:50:27

Have had gallstones for a few years. Following an agonising night a few weeks back, I ended up at A&E and had to stay in for a few days to be stabalised. They wouldn't remove the gall bladder at the time - said it increased the risk of bleeding as it was inflamed. I am now awaiting an outpatient appt which will then lead to a date to go back in for removal. In the meantime, I have been told to have a low fat diet - but that is the limit of the guidance I received. I have since read that too little fat can lead to the formation of additional gallstones so I am very confused. How much is the right amount? In the 2.5 weeks I have been home, I have lost about 4 pounds which is just about OK but I don't want or need to lose much more and I think if I carry on eating just what I have been eating the weight will continue to drop off. I am at the moment following the 5g in 100g rule but I am wondering whether I need to be quite that rigid. The bottom line is that I will do (almost) anything to avoid a recurrance of that horrendous pain while I wait for surgery! Those of you who have been there, will know what I mean. Any mumsnet guidance from people who have done this would be brilliant, or if there are any medical people, dietitians etc too.

DottyDot Sun 21-Oct-12 09:44:14

eeeek! got my operation date letter on Friday - it's on Thursday this week!!

Could have done with more than six days' notice - am freaking out a bit grin

So, have got a manic 3 days at work this week to sort everything out and then that's it.....

AAARRRGGGHHHH....!

Good luck Dotty - hope it all goes well for you!

DottyDot Tue 23-Oct-12 01:41:07

Aaarrgghhh... I'm getting a cold. Am at the bit hot, swollen glands, sore throat stage and my letter says I should phone the hospital if I get or have had a cold but I don't want to! Really don't want it to be cancelled...

DottyDot Thu 25-Oct-12 21:02:21

Woohoo! It's out! Just back home and ready for more sleep - so relieved it's all over..!

PoppyScarer Thu 25-Oct-12 21:08:32

Hooray Dot.

I had a totally random attack yesterday. So scary, not expected at all. Roll on my op!

DottyDot Fri 26-Oct-12 02:32:44

The op was fine as well - I'm in way less pain than when I had a shoulder op a few years ago. 2 of the holes are a bit sore, especially when lying down and sitting up. But I can't feel the other 2 at all, and once I'm up/down it's fine!

Awake at 2am now but I have slept for about 17 hours pretty much without a break!

Absolutely patched but can't be bothered to go and get a drink - might nudge dp - see where it gets me grin

NoWayNoHow Fri 16-Nov-12 11:40:02

Dotty, glad to see it's gone - I did think that I saw from another thread that you'd had it out (was maybe the "worst pain ever" thread? Not certain...)

How are you getting on post-op? Do you feel like you're getting back to normal? Are you able to eat as you did before all the pain started, or is your diet still restricted!

I had my surgical consult on Wed and he wants to take mine out too as I've already had an attack and am starting to get pain again, even though I'm being so strict with my diet. Apparently, even though my gallstone is small, it's extremely mobile, and its size means that it can pass from the gallbladder more easily and stuck in the bile duct.

10-12 week wait for the op, so a not-so-merry Christmas for me! Even alcohol, which was the one thing I could^ have after my last attack is now starting to make me nauseous. Think I might crawl into a corner with my carrot sticks and reduced fat houmous and weep...

NoWayNoHow Fri 16-Nov-12 11:41:21

Poppy do you have a definite date for your op yet? I, like you, am also living on sushi and 70% chocolate!

PoppyWearer Fri 16-Nov-12 11:49:41

Hi NoWay you must be psychic as I was just browsing MN whilst eating some sushi!

Funnily enough, the letter came through this morning with my op details. I don't want to out myself with specifics, but it's in the next month, so that's good.

I had a bad attack at the weekend after a few good weeks. We went round to family for lunch and I ate things out of politeness that should have been borderline-ok, except I then found out that it had all been fried. Cue a frantic and painful car journey home, as the painkillers in my handbag had run out. Really awful attack.

Since then my diet has been featuring a lot of baked beans and red wine.

NoWayNoHow Fri 16-Nov-12 12:02:47

Glad it's soon, and fingers crossed you'll be on the mend for Christmas!

Sorry to hear you had a bad attack - we've got dinner with friends on Saturday, and I've felt so awful about being so picky, but they're being lovely about it which is nice.

Dreading DH's phonecall to MIL about Christmas day dinner, considering that I don't think anything's allowed in their house unless it's been cooked in lard...

PoppyWearer Fri 16-Nov-12 12:18:24

Good luck with Christmas Dinner. My DH is cooking ours, fortunately. Although I'll be post-op by then, I don't plan on having the goose-fat-tastic version of the dinner he's planning.

Would a jacket and beans or beans on toast be bad for Christmas lunch? grin

I expect I'll be having a grilled chicken breast and boiled veggies. Ah well.

NoWayNoHow Fri 16-Nov-12 12:22:57

The roast potatoes I can live without, but a Christmas without port and cheese and mince pies and Hestons' orange christmas pudding, and my mum's trifle and Celebrations and ... oh, the list is endless!

PoppyWearer Fri 16-Nov-12 12:25:57

No Baileys or pigs-in-blankets sad

Christmas aside, the idea that I may never eat a jam doughnut again saddens me. It's not like I used to eat them very often. But not being able to eat one at all...ever? shock

Zippylovesgeorge Fri 16-Nov-12 17:07:10

Hello

Just been told this week that the pains I've been getting are most likely to be gallbladder related sad Have got a date for a US scan next week.

Trying not to think about christmas - though at the moment everything seems to make things hurt and my bottom explode sad

BambinoBoo Fri 16-Nov-12 21:30:39

poppy my christmas lunch last year was jacket potatoes and beans as I was on the waiting list grin

DottyDot Fri 16-Nov-12 22:04:14

Hello!

Yes I'm 3 weeks post op and feeling really good! I went back to work this week, my scars are teeny and only one is slightly tender, but nothing terrible at all. The only time now I notice it is at night - not quite 100% comfortable lying on my front, but it's getting better each night!

In terms of recovery it's been by far the easiest compared to other procedures I've had (tonsillectomy, shoulder op, c-section!).

I remember having boiled rice and a bit of turkey last Christmas - having cooked the works for 10! So I'm looking forward to enjoying my Xmas dinner this year (sorry..!). I'm back to eating anything and everything now with no problems at all - sadly not great for the waistband - have already put on a few lbs and need to start being good soon... blush

Hope everyone waiting gets dates through soon!

NoWayNoHow Fri 16-Nov-12 23:24:34

Just a quick question...

Do/did any of you suffer with the terrible bloating that comes along with a gallbladder that's not doing what it's supposed to?

I'm really struggling with being so uncomfortable all the time, and not only is it actually a little bit painful, but it's making it difficult to fit into my clothes (which it ironic, as in terms of weight on the scales, I'm actually losing!)

I've tried WindSetlers which don't really work, as well as water balance tablets (although I think this is very much a gas issue!). Anyone got any other ideas?

Zippylovesgeorge Sat 17-Nov-12 08:28:55

NoWay - I do. Am now into drinking peppermint tea which seems to ease things a bit and help with the bloating.

BambinoBoo Sat 17-Nov-12 09:16:33

I second peppermint tea or capsules. They help get a bit of the wind out.

NoWayNoHow Sat 17-Nov-12 09:41:41

Have been drinking peppermint tea every couple of days, but if it helps with the bloating, I'm going to make it every single time I boil the kettle! Thanks guys

Zippylovesgeorge Mon 19-Nov-12 07:20:56

Advice - do not eat a roast dinner! Was in agony for most of the night - painkillers wouldn't touch it and the tabs from the docs were useless.

Hunted down a wheatbag and managed to position that on the worst pain site and that helped loads.

Off shopping today for chicken breasts/salmon which I can steam each day for me - whilst I cook normally for rest of family sad

Scan can't come soon enough.

NoWayNoHow Mon 19-Nov-12 18:23:39

Zippy sad

I feel your pain - I'm going through a terrible phase when I get pain no matter what I eat (even if it's veg or fruit - chicken salad yesterday had me doubled over!), and the bloating is so painful and uncomfortable. I'm also constantly nauseous and constantly exhausted and just want to be horizontal all the time.

Also, because of the bloating, none of my clothes fit! I've lost 3lbs in the last 5 days, but I look 4 months pregnant and can't fasten my clothes!

AwkwardSquad Mon 19-Nov-12 20:19:34

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread thanks I'm now reasonably sure (as someone self-diagnosing can ever be sure!) that I have gallstones. I will stop trying the pretend-you-don't-notice-it-and-it-will-go-away tactic andgt myself to the GP.

AwkwardSquad Mon 19-Nov-12 20:19:59

*and get

PoppyWearer Mon 19-Nov-12 21:30:03

Sorry to hear that, NoWayNoHow sad Before I was diagnosed and changed my diet I was fluctuating between constipation/bloating and diarrhoea.

I was doing WeightWatchers and my weight fluctuations were enormous (a good few pounds) depending on the kind of week I'd had!

I do still get bloating and constipation if I eat too much of one thing and stray from cereal for breakfast. Dealing with some nausea at the moment, but I think that might be a stomach bug rather than the gallstones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now