Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

verrucas causing misery and pain.

(38 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 24-Jul-12 20:07:08

has anyone successfully got rid? im seeing a private podiatrist tomorrow.

i picked them up 5 years ago from the kids, and they have just got bigger and bigger despite various over the counter treatments and numerous treatments at the GP.

they will not go. They are now so painful that im being forced to see someone privately. 5 years ive had the buggers and they just grow!

no underlying health issues that i know of, just stubborn feet. one is the size of a 5p piece now and it hurts.

podiatrist reckons 6 treatments at 25 pounds each - but warns they may not go completely unless they use something that literally blows a hold in your foot and would keep me off my feet for a week.....and he wont try that until they have exhausted the alternatives.

im sick of them. they hurt all the time now and i cant do simply things like go swimming or have a pedicure.

SlinkyB Thu 17-Jul-14 21:41:36

I know this is a zombie thread, just wondering if Vicar's podiatry treatments worked on her stubborn verrucae?

Sucos Sat 17-Nov-12 00:29:35

My 10 year old son has had a very large, painful verruca for the past 6 months and nothing was working. We live in a hot, humid climate so any treatment that involves sticking plasters, duct tape, etc. just doesn't work on sweaty little feet. Three weeks ago I read a post on this site that recommended coating the verruca in black nail varnish (apparently the darker the better, hence black!). So I bought some black nail varnish, we gently filed down the verruca a bit and then coated it with the varnish. We've reapplied the varnish every few days, filing it about once a week, and I'm delighted to report that the last remaining bit came off yesterday (all that's left is a little crater of dry skin). This has been a wonderfully quick, cheap, and painless treatment and it's ideal for active kids.

pensheric Sat 28-Jul-12 08:33:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 26-Jul-12 17:29:19

its stress filled at the moment, but im anticipating being less stressed come september when a) i get confirmed in role and lose the stress of having to do the qualification which is a ball ache and
b) ds goes to uni....i get a break for a bit. (he has SN and is wearing)

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 26-Jul-12 14:50:11

If you have a stress filled life though your immune system will be compromised. The stress hormones suppress white blood cell production.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 25-Jul-12 21:44:45

grin @ roxy

i think sadly you may be correct.....they will outlive me.

RoxyRobin Wed 25-Jul-12 21:34:22

Duct tape worked on my stubborn little buggers.

I was amazed - was total sceptic and only tried it as a last resort.

Just shove little patches of tape on the blighters and replace it when it becomes unstuck.

The centre of the verruca gets soft - I'd gently scrape the soft bits out with the pointy end of a metal nail file. I persisted for about six weeks and eventually the wretched things disappeared for good.

Yours sound mythic, though. Come the apocalypse, there'll be Pestilence, War, Famine, Death ... and Vicar's Verrucas.

lagartija Wed 25-Jul-12 21:29:37

I had them burnt out.

I was told by my GP that if you have multiple veruccas to just concentrate on treating 1 or 2 really well, rather than feebly treating all of them. Apparently if you can weaken 1 or 2 your immune system will kick in and get rid of the rest.
I was dubious but after four years of multiple veruccas and no success I thought it was worth a try. I just intensively treated one until it cleared and within 2 weeks the rest disappeared on their own - I couldn't believe it.

Might be worth trying - good luck.

PeazlyPops Wed 25-Jul-12 21:25:04

It might be worth going for a consultation and see if they charge per verruca or per session?

It was worth every penny, I didn't realise how I curled my toes to take the pressure off my sole to relieve the pain!

If you like that sort of thing, it's fascinating when the root dies and the verruca works it's way out.. It was huge, I had to take a photo grin

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 25-Jul-12 21:20:50

<wails>

ive got 25!!! how much would that cost?

i have 25 verrucas. he counted them. i wish he hadnt.

PeazlyPops Wed 25-Jul-12 21:08:20

I had one for over ten years, it got to the point where it hurt to walk!

I tried everything - bazooka, the home freezing spray, verucca plasters, silver nitrate pen, digging it out, banana skin, duct tape etc etc.

The miracle cure was laser removal. I had 5 treatments, I think they were £150 each. It bloody hurt but it worked! I went with S:kn clinic. I have a little scar on my foot, but the verucca and hard skin has gone & I'm pain free.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 25-Jul-12 20:55:17

well ive waited 5 years and im not waiting any longer cos the big one fecking kills......

and iver tried everything over the vcounter and from the GP.....im at wits end now. sick of bleeding, painful feet that mean i cant swim, or have a pedicure, or try on shoes!

fed up. need something to work! and at 25 pound a pop im hoping the podiatrist can sort the feckers out.....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 25-Jul-12 20:32:05

I thought current theory was that nothing worked, and you just had to wait until your body fought them off naturally?

Thegoddessblossom Wed 25-Jul-12 20:26:48

Ds1 had several on his foot one really big one. Freezing didn't work, but the bazooka ointment did- took about three weeks of nightly treatments though.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 25-Jul-12 20:22:51

i think my general health must be a bit shite at the min then.....dont know why really. i take a vit C with zinc daily, eat well, and exercise regularly.

no idea what the body is up to. sad

Sausagedog27 Wed 25-Jul-12 20:21:26

I had loads on my feet as a child and used to go to docs weekly for them to be frozen. It didn't work and my doc prescribed a femeldahyde (sp) solution (the stuff they use on dead bodies!) I had to soak my feet nightly but it did work in the end and haven't been bothered since!

Take a good multivit if you don't already- to boost your immune system. I did once use a homeopathic remedy ( thuja or something like that) on the ds's which worked like magic the first time but not the second. Your body has to decide to fight them off, so anything to boost your general health is good.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 25-Jul-12 19:55:21

pod is on the HPC register - he also works for NHS.

I have one which I've had for about 25 years, but it's right on the tip of my little toe, so isn't painful. I cut the top part of it off when it gets big and rubs on the toe next to it, but I'm thinking I should probably get someone to have a proper look at it. Also probably I'm making it worse by cutting it.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 25-Jul-12 18:49:11

Make sure your pod is on the HPC register op, not all of them are. Some use the title illegally but slip under the radar.

A pod I work with had loads until she got divorced. She work up one day and they had all gone, literally overnight.

Aerobreaking Wed 25-Jul-12 18:48:59

I had them for years (as did my dad). Probably like you vicar at least 20, they were on both feet on the fleshy bits below my toes if that makes sense? They seemed to just grow and grow and were getting painful. We tried all the usual stuff, nothing really worked (and tbh as a stroppy teenager I didn't really follow instructions properly), then as they were starting to really affect my walking - they disappeared. Literally the whole lot over after 10 years or more vanished within the space of about a week. Have not had any since.

I know this isn't particularly helpful if you're in pain right now but remember even if the podiatrist says things might not work - eventually your body will clear it.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 25-Jul-12 18:42:00

well i am wondering if i should get checked out for underlying causes - went to the podiatrist today and i have - get ready for it

25 of them.

yes. 25.

i cant walk now - he took a scalpel to them, then poked them with a pointy stick with silver nitrate on it

the biggest one he has put some 60% acid paste on and taped it up, i am limping like a good un.....

even then he says this may not work. sad

WhenDoISleep Wed 25-Jul-12 13:48:45

I developed them around 8 years ago. Didn't bother me a first, but after a few years and no sign of them going I wanted to do something about them. Had them treated via freezing, verrucas went for a year or so, but then grew back bigger than before.

Had them treated again - once more via freezing, but this time it was done more aggressively. Massive watery blisters that were very painful and lots of oozing later, verrucas disappeared. Fantastic - until I was pregnant about a year later. They returned larger than before. Had them frozen once again, but they returned almost immediately.

Was too busy with PFB to bother about them, until last year when I wanted to get my feet in a decent state for the summer (2.5years after I last had them treated). Saw a different podiatrist, this time had them treated with acid. Occasionally painful (but nothing like the first time I had them frozen), took 6ish treatments but finally saw them off. Got pregnant with DS2 almost immediately and was concerned that they may return again, but nothing (fingers crossed it stays that way). As an aside, I had a small wart on a finger that also disappeared at the same time, so I think the last treatment series finally triggered my bodies immune response to attack the virus that causes warts/verrucas.

Having had them both frozen and treated with acid, I would always go with the acid in future if I need to. I also paid privately for all treatments I have had over the years. Last series cost £35 for the initial appt and £20 for each subsequent appt.

I also tried various home remedies (freezing stuff from Boots, bazuka gel, banana skin, duct tape, essential oils, homeopathic liquid, etc) and nothing made a bit of difference.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 25-Jul-12 13:31:02

I went to a conference where one speaker had a theory they are prolonged by stress.

Or, option two, you've used so much acid and cryo that you now have scar tissue which will cause a corn, scar tissue is weaker than normal plantar skin and cant take the pressure of walking as much and you get corns on it that develop very quickly.

Verrucas cant breathe external air anyway, your body supplies all the nutrients they need, like any other virus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now