Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

tophaceous gout - anyone any experience ?

(3 Posts)
KeeleResearcher Mon 11-Mar-13 13:18:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

gingeroots Tue 29-May-12 19:38:21

So we attended appointment today and I took dressings off the worst affected digit ( which the DNT had ignored on their previous visit despite it being on their care plan ) and insisted doctor looked .
Referred for xray immediately because concerned infection may have spread to bone and now he's doing an urgent referral to rheumatolgist.

But doctors bottom line ( repeated ad nauseum ) is that it's because my mother doesn't drink enough .

She actually drinks more than most old people I know ,probably 2 litres a day .

Doctor suggests carers and residential home - which will cure her gout how ?

I know no ones interested in this - I'm just off loading .

Don't get gout - no one seems to have any expertise in the area.

gingeroots Sun 27-May-12 09:56:55

Very elderly mother with lots of health problems ( heart ,kidneys etc ) has this in her fingers .
We have an appt at an elder persons clinic ( supposed to look at all health issues ) next week ,but they weren't very interested in the gout at the first appt .
But as her fingers were bandaged ( and they were in any case looking at her ankles ,tho I did tell them it was her fingers affected ) ,they've not seen it .
This is the problem really - no one seems very interested .

It is truly awful ( I imagine all you pus lovers would like it ) breaks thru skin ,becomes infected ,really difficult to dress and for mother to keep dressings dry .
Has huge impact on her life - hard to function with fingers and a thumb bandaged . Both hands affected .

Has anyone had this or know of anyone ( appreciate by time we're talking tophi it's probably a condition affecting only old people ) with this who can offer advice ?

Mother lives alone ,I visit 6/7 and quite frankly am in despair over this .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now