Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tremor in my left hand when holding things .. any ideas?

(19 Posts)
MrsOtter Tue 05-Apr-11 19:43:20

My left hand has started to shake when holding things such as a cup. Any ideas what could be the cause. Its freaking me out

activate Tue 05-Apr-11 19:45:18

could be any number of things including stress and exhaustion

GP and neurology referral I think

Ktay Tue 05-Apr-11 19:48:37

Don't want to be dismissive or discourage you from seeing GP but you've just reminded me that I went through a phase of that a while back. Back to normal now - had forgotten all about it! - so it may not be anything worrying.

MrsOtter Tue 05-Apr-11 19:50:33

I'm due to see the doc on the 20th so will mention it then, was hoping this thread could put my mind at ease a little!

Could be exhaustion - 6 month old bf baby waking every three hours is exhausting esp. when topped up with a 3yo.

dizzyblonde Tue 05-Apr-11 20:03:50

I have that, it's been diagnosed as an essential familial tremor, totally benign but irritating. I take a low dose of a beta blocker which stops it. Doctor told me a tremor that starts when you are holding something is very unlikely to be anything serious, it's tremors that happen at rest that can be serious.

MrsOtter Tue 05-Apr-11 20:05:06

That's really reassuring dizzyblonde, thanks smile

tilly2469 Tue 05-Apr-11 20:22:40

My mum had that. As dizzyblonde says it is an essential familial tremor. Can run in family.

Nanking Tue 05-Apr-11 20:32:42

I had tremor when I had an overactive thyroid
Get a TFT (Thyroid function test) done at your GP

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Apr-11 20:34:34

How long has this been going on for ?

Not to scare you, but my dad had that just before his stroke. Tremors, and then he just dropped his cup of coffee right out of his hand. Twice. Thats when we called the ambulance.

castlesintheair Tue 05-Apr-11 20:35:00

One of my friends has noticeable tremors in both hands. No idea what it is but he's had it for years and has no health issues afaik.

MrsOtter Tue 05-Apr-11 21:54:29

It started last week, I noticed it last Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I forgot about it but it's just happened again .. hence the thread!

Can an overactive thyroid run in the family? I know a few people in my family have that

Fairychatty Tue 30-Jul-13 22:42:10

I've noticed my left hand shake when I reach for cup..I was wondering if there were any wee exercises you could do to strengthen it..I read somewhere that if you we're right handed you should try writing with left hand?..

jraleigh72 Fri 04-Jul-14 09:30:04

hey guys. I know this is an old thread but I am having a similar issue and was looking for answers from other people. I have noticed that my left hand shakes when I am holding something, like a cup or a piece of paper. It is not severe but definitely noticeable and I feel like I can't control it. I don't believe I have this tremor in any other part of my body. My right hand also shakes a bit but I strongly believe it is to a normal extent. Now, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's, but I know that is when you have a tremor at rest, which I don't. Perhaps I have a familial tremor. Perhaps he was misdiagnosed and he also just a tremor? I'm really not sure what to think. This has been going on quite awhile now and it doesn't feel like it has gotten worse. However, it doesn't seem to be getting better either. It is worth noting that I am only 20 years old. PLEASE, if you have any tips, ideas, or can share your experience with these symptoms, I would be forever grateful. Thank you

NCISaddict Fri 04-Jul-14 10:44:47

It is likely that yours is a benign tremor and not connected to your Dad's parkinsons. My daughter has a benign tremor and takes a beta blocker for it. She's 22 and has had it since she was 19, the only reason she takes the tablets is because she's a nurse and cannulating etc is a bit difficult if your hand is shaking.
Go and see your GP to put your mind at rest but it is very unlikely to be anything serious and also very unlikely for your Dad to have been misdiagnosed.

jraleigh72 Sat 05-Jul-14 07:46:27

thank you so much for your message. From reading about benign/essential tremors, it does not sound too pleasant either. often times it gets worse and can affect your voice, gait, handwriting, etc. however, I would obviously far prefer that diagnosis over PD. thank you again

NCISaddict Sat 05-Jul-14 09:13:19

The voice, gait effects etc are rare, I'm nearly 50 and have had it for years with only my hand being affected and that is completely treatable with propranolol. My Mother had it, and again, it only affected her hand. She never sought treatment for it because it never affected her daily life.
Both me and my daughter have jobs where we stick needles in people so a steady hand is essential smile We only take the meds on days when we're working generally.
Dr Google is not your friend in this instance!

deepbreath Sun 06-Jul-14 00:50:54

I have Essential Tremor. I am 39 and am one of the lucky people who have multiple parts of my body affected. Ministry of funny walks has nothing on me at times! It was thought for some time that I had MS before the neurologist settled on this.
For many people, beta blockers (Propranolol) are useful, but they aren't for me. I tried some of the more hardcore meds but the side effects meant that I had to stop taking them. There are things out there that can help, and some friendly groups on Facebook too.

jraleigh72 Mon 07-Jul-14 09:12:08

Very interesting. It seems that the progression, or lack there of, greatly varies from person to person. I am happy to hear that there are medications available which may help. deepbreath-I'm sorry to hear that they are not a viable option for you. I hope that there are advancements in the field that will help you manage it. NCISaddict- I'm very surprised to hear that you and your mother did not have it progress at all. This gives me great hope that perhaps I won't have to deal with it affecting me legs, voice, head, etc. I most likely won't bother seeking treatment unless it gets worse. So far it is a small annoyance and nothing more. Very rarely do people notice the tremor in my hand so I pray that I am one of the lucky ones. Thank you so much for your input. It has certainly put my mind at ease a bit to know that others are going through a similar experience

Nellie21655 Fri 29-Jan-16 03:51:42

Super old thread, I know, but as others may come across it as I did...
I developed a mild tremor in my left hand when I was 19, it only affected me when I was holding something in that hand. I was a waitress at the time, and I am right handed, but as I held my tray in my right hand, and tried to serve a very full drink (a martini or a full cup of coffee, for example), my hand would often shake so badly that I had to set my tray down and use my right hand or ask the patron to retrieve the beverage from the tray. I am now 47, I do think it is worse, but only in the left hand, and I have no other issues with tremors or any symptoms of Parkinson's. I use my right hand to lift beverages and anything that requires a very steady hand. After almost 30 years, I am quite relieved that it has never progressed. I have never even mentioned it to my doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now