Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'Pimple' on cervix - should I worry?

(16 Posts)
Ange8 Mon 08-Sep-03 12:02:19

During grappling with a mooncup (but that should be another thread!) I noticed a bump, the size of a small pimple, on my cervix. I'm not really sure if it's always been there, or if it has 'appeared', how long it might have been there. I have regular cervical smears, but the last one was a year or so ago. Does anyone know if this sounds like a normal (ie, normally irregular) feature of the cervix - or should I make an appointment with my doctor?

Thanks

katierocket Mon 08-Sep-03 12:21:12

not sure at all ange8 - probably nothing but to be sure I'd make an appt at the doc - that way you can put your mind to rest.

acamum Mon 08-Sep-03 12:21:14

I wouldn't worry. I had one when I was pregnant. Doc said it was fairly common and he could check it out. I decided not to have it looked at due to pregnancy and it has since disappeared on its own.

motherinferior Mon 08-Sep-03 17:17:16

I've always had one.

princesspeahead Mon 08-Sep-03 17:52:41

I was sure this was going to be one of Coddy's thread titles....

Cha Mon 08-Sep-03 18:43:33

I had one during my pregnancy (and probably still have it - haven't checked, only gave birth a week ago...) and my GP said it was perfectly normal and to stop poking about and leave it alone. So I did. Will have a smear in 3 months to make sure.

bloss Mon 08-Sep-03 23:50:13

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Tue 09-Sep-03 09:51:09

Ange8, I noticed this when I used to have a cap. When I had my next smear I asked about it and was told it was perfectly normal and the cervix isn't always perfectly smooth. So it sounds similar. I would ask your doctor next time you go but I don't think it sounds worrying in the light of my experience anyway. Still, go if you're worried. Or call NHS Direct? Bloss, no it doesn't hurt! I got used to doing it when I had a cap and had to check it was positioned properly (you have to be able to feel the cervix through it).

Boe Tue 09-Sep-03 10:19:54

I have one too (was checking for thread from coil at time) which I got really upset about and convinced myself it was yu know what and I was on my way out - even got DP tohave a feel (he was a bit grossed out) just to make sure I was not imagining it - Dr said that lots of women have pimples/moles etc on their cervixs and I should check that it does not grow or change shape but other than that he said I am fine and should not be overly worried.

Make sure you go for regular smears and keep an eye on it.

bloss Tue 09-Sep-03 10:22:08

Message withdrawn

Boe Tue 09-Sep-03 10:39:25

Apparently my cervix dips down and I have a very shallow you know what - glad am not meeting anyo f you face to face now - never touched another womans so would not know I am afraid - I can touch my epiglotis too though which I have always thought was quite clever!!

Ange8 Tue 09-Sep-03 14:10:41

Thanks everyone! I'm reassured to know that other people have this, and I'm not that abnormal (well - not in that respect anyway...). I have made an appointment to see my family planning clinic doctor next week, and I might ask her if she will do a smear, just to put my mind at rest.

Bloss - strangely, the distance to my cervix seems to be very short ... I had real trouble getting the mooncup comfortable because there didn't seem far to go - had to cut off the tail completely. I was just checking this problem out before deciding whether or not to send the mooncup back when I discovered said 'pimple' (perhaps a more vivid image than you needed...?)

Thanks.

Northerner Tue 09-Sep-03 14:40:19

Boe - you can touch your epiglotis? What/where is that?!

Furball Tue 09-Sep-03 14:43:31

Boe - Whats your epiglotis doing down by your cervix!!!

Boe Tue 09-Sep-03 15:15:20

Epiglotis is the peice of skin that covers your windpipe - as far as I know mine is at the other end of my torso and no where near my cervix????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now