Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Urticaria - specifically pressure urticaria

(28 Posts)
Foxinsocks Sat 29-Jan-11 21:35:49

Does anyone here have delayed pressure urticaria (or even just normal urticaria)?

having suffered from a painful, burning rash for about 10 years which has mystified the GP (i.e. they stopped trying to figure out what it was lol), I have realised today (eureka), that it is delayed pressure urticaria.

The only reason I realised this is that I have travelled a fair bit over the past few weeks and developed this rash both times on the hand that I was using to carry my suitcase. I also sometimes get it on my feet from standing and on my waist where my clothes are too tight!

I googled pressure rash and there it is!

I can't tell you how excited I am grin but now I'd like to know if anyone has it and how they treat it!

Pikeymay Tue 22-Jan-13 13:51:00

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. My docs aren't really taking it serious. Any irritation causes an outbreak and now if I get the cold my throat is swelling so it feels like I can't breath. Don't want to go back to doc after going to a&e with breathing difficulty and told it was just the cold and to go home......

shine0ncrazydiamond Tue 22-Jan-13 13:46:29

However, interestingly, I believe there is a link to other symptoms i have. I am in good health and take no medication whatsoever. I dont smoke or drink and am slim. I do suffer from Raynauds and very fine hair which can be a pain.

I am convinced there is a link.

shine0ncrazydiamond Tue 22-Jan-13 13:43:21

Oh yes i have had this for years and get 'attacks' of it every day. I have ' dermatographia ' and nothing helps it really. A daily anti histamine can do but i'd rather just put up with the attacks which last twenty or so minutes.

It itches, I lightly scratch , I come up in big weals and could quite easily write my name on my arm if I so chose to grin

i saw a doctor some years ago and they were perplexed. I think i just have too much histamine or whatever < scientific > and i just put up with it.

shitmagnet Tue 22-Jan-13 13:02:03

I have this, or something similar - dermagraphic hives in response to the biologic drugs I am on for RA. If I even brush my hair lightly my whole scalp flares up in ridges. I manage it by taking 5mg claratyne per day, which works OK. I also carry an epipen, as the meds have a chance of anaphylaxis at any time. It's annoying, but a small price to pay for the mobility I have back!

Haggisfish Mon 21-Jan-13 22:10:09

I found Eurax cream helped with the itching and anti histamines with steroids from the doc were the only thing that really made it go away quickly, rather than just over time on its own. Mine hasn't reappeared for years.

Elibean Mon 21-Jan-13 15:06:08

Poor Fox, sympathies.

I used to get it as a child (my mother was convinced it was when I ate too much ice cream hmm but I think she was in denial: it came on whenever we went on holiday with her side of the family - so stress, rather than pressure or diet!).

I was given antihistamines, which helped a bit. I had it again when my immune system was battling with hepatitis - and that time it was pressure. I took zirtec on a daily basis, and it went away. HTH, its miserable I know.

jojane Mon 21-Jan-13 14:30:14

Before I had kids I used to get it on my hands and feet, was horrible an could never relieve it when I had an outbreak. I don't think it's happened since I had kids 6 years ago but had it for about 10 years before that.

Pikeymay Mon 21-Jan-13 14:25:13

Foxinsocks, did you ever get relief from your urticaria? I have pressure and ordinary urticaria along with angioendima. Had it for 4 years now and came on after I stopped nursing my first child. Doctors said it would burn itself out and it went away during 2nd pregnancy however now back after stopped nursing her. After 4 years I am going crazy!!

alypaly Mon 31-Jan-11 23:12:35

it sounds a bit like dermographism

coffeeinbed Mon 31-Jan-11 22:12:12

No, I'm not actually aware of one.
My GP is gently dismissive, most derms have heard about it, but never seen it, so..
I had couple of skin biopsies, so I know that what it is, but have no treatment or anything.

Foxinsocks Mon 31-Jan-11 21:08:31

Do you see a dermatologist with a special interest in urticaria?

coffeeinbed Sun 30-Jan-11 22:10:05

do update!
I've had it for years, never heard of anyone else!

Foxinsocks Sun 30-Jan-11 22:00:03

Oh don't worry, I wasn't worried like in active worrying. Having had this for so long I am just pleased to be nearer a diagnosis!

I will seek out a dermatologist this week. Thanks for enlightening me!

coffeeinbed Sun 30-Jan-11 21:08:57

I meant not necessarily nasty. Wasn't very clear in my post.
[ must think when writing emoticon]

coffeeinbed Sun 30-Jan-11 20:42:25

Not necessarily. There's so many degrees of it.
Step away from Google, though.
It's extremely rare, and if you've only had it once, it's probably not it.
Sorry I got you worried.

Foxinsocks Sun 30-Jan-11 19:29:40

Ooh coffee that condition sounds quite nasty. Though the rash I had once sounds quite similar, I never had it again so hopefully it isn't that :-).

Think I need to find a dermatologist who could check all this out for me.

I feel liberated as I said, years ago when I started getting this, that it felt like an allergy but wasn't one and it appears it is just like this and explains my problems with my stomach, joint pains and throat swelling!

Foxinsocks Sun 30-Jan-11 19:15:48

Didn't know that coffee, will have a look at it as I had a rash last year all over my trunk and thighs that left brown scars behind (it was red and raised)- no one knew what it was

This pressure hives thing is def from pressure as I get the rash and burning where pressure has been (so on my hands if carrying or on my feet if standing too long in uncomfortable shoes). It's such a revelation for me to finally know what it is!

coffeeinbed Sat 29-Jan-11 22:42:04

Is it raised and red and do you have brown freckley spots when it goes away?
there's something called mastocytosis -or Urticaria pigmentosis.

Foxinsocks Sat 29-Jan-11 22:03:42

poor her nightcat, that must be very annoying (and painful)

Foxinsocks Sat 29-Jan-11 22:02:55

well it's worth looking at anything

glad you managed to sort the stress urticaria out

from having a quick google (I know we shouldn't wink), it seems like there isn't much conventional treatment for pressure urticaria.

I will look for that cream. I have found cold thick creams a big comfort for this and I think (from memory) that zinc cream is quite thick so it's definitely worth a try, thank you.

nightcat Sat 29-Jan-11 22:02:55

I know someone who is more severely affected (she gets a rash when clothes rub on skin) and the latest thinking is that there might be an autoimmune connection in her case.
She also suffers from angioedema, tissue swelling in other parts of the body.

Appletrees Sat 29-Jan-11 21:59:48

There is indeed.

"The number one reason why zinc oxide cream is so effective is the hundreds of enzymes that depend on this trace mineral in order to function properly. Zinc can be found in almost every cell in the human body. It also contains powerful antioxidant properties and it is an important factor regarding your immune response system. Remember, your skin is the largest organ in the human body, and it absorbs all of the nutrients in zinc oxide cream directly through the skin."

Thsi is from a skin care ad site so you know pinch of salt and all that. But it's a generic article and not talking about any brand.

Appletrees Sat 29-Jan-11 21:57:28

I think there is such a thing as zinc cream actually.Googling.

Appletrees Sat 29-Jan-11 21:57:00

Sorry about typing.

Yes ours was specificially and chronically stress related. Extremely bad, so we removed the stress and within a week it was gone.

I wish I could help more: I think it might be more of a "naturopath" issue than medication, because doctors don't have so much experience of this it seems.

Appletrees Sat 29-Jan-11 21:53:57

sorryfox.. we removed the stress

it was chronic,, so bad teh gp called in all te=he others to have a look

still as it is an immune issue what about tryinga bit of zinc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now