Vista Security Plus 2013- how to remove?!

(7 Posts)
IrrelevantElephant Sat 12-Jan-13 21:53:40

Right- so iv installed this thing that looked legitimate but now I know it's clearly dodgy. I can't access ANY Internet sites.

When I open my browser,the window says "Internet Explorer alert- visiting this site may pose a security threat to your system" and gives me three options
1) get a copy of vista security plus 2013 to safeguard my pc
2) run a spyware, virus and malware scan
3) continue surfing without any security measures (DANGEROUS).

It won't LET me click the last one. Nothing happens when I do. It will only let me click the first one or two, and I have no idea how to delete this programme! I can't uninstall it the way I usually do - through the control panel. It doesn't show.

Any ideas?!

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sat 12-Jan-13 22:12:52

Sounds like you have a nasty virus. Your best bet will be to re-install Windows.

Chanatan Sat 12-Jan-13 22:18:36

Have a read here,these people are great on virus removal.

flatpackhamster Thu 17-Jan-13 09:41:49

PedroPonyLikesCrisps

Sounds like you have a nasty virus. Your best bet will be to re-install Windows.

Ignore this idiot, who is wrong.

Chanatan Thu 17-Jan-13 14:12:58

flatpackhamster Ignore this idiot, who is wrong.

Bit uncalled for,after all sometimes a clean install of windows may be best

flatpackhamster Thu 17-Jan-13 14:25:51

What, as a first port of call, rather than trying to fix it?

I've fixed an awful lot of those 'fake antivirus' systems, and I can think of perhaps a single occasion where I've had to reinstall Windows because of them. That was because other malware had damaged some core system files.

Reinstalling is a pain in the proverbial. Backed up all your data? Really? Even the files in the public folder? Even the ones hidden in Local Settings? And Application Data? What about older programs which store their data in the program files folder? OK, now you can reinstall. Got your XP disk and licence? Your driver disks? The disks for all the software you have? Right, now you can install all that and copy all your data back on.

Certainly happy to agree that , as a last resort, reinstalling is the way to go.

somewheresomehow Tue 22-Jan-13 20:54:40

can you boot it into safe mode and run your anti virus software to try and remove it.
if you have another computer you can access , download microsoft malicious software removal tool (from microsoft site) onto a flash drive and run that on your infected machine
failing that you could try and delete it from the registry but that can stuff up your machine completely if you delete the wrong files- do this at your own risk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now