Pay as you go iphone? Is there such a thing?

(16 Posts)
MrsCantSayAnything Mon 12-Nov-12 07:25:06

I'm a real technophobe....my DD really wants some kind of iphone....but I don't want to get stuck in a contract.

Is there a phone that I can buy, which I can then top up when I want, that she can play games on etc?

Chopstheduck Mon 12-Nov-12 07:28:29

iphone would be around £320 for the cheapest model.

You could get a cheaeper android phone, prob around £100-50 that she would be able to do most things with.

Then get a giffgaff sim, top up £10 a month for a generous bundle.

Bearandcub Mon 12-Nov-12 07:29:21

Just to check, you don't mean an IPod do you?

SavoyCabbage Mon 12-Nov-12 07:30:05

or an itouch?

wishiwasonholiday Mon 12-Nov-12 07:30:23

You could get an old one such as a 3GS which sell for £100 ish and put a sim in it, just make sure she only uses thr wifi Internet at home as it would cost a lot if she's starts using mobile Internet.

tribpot Mon 12-Nov-12 07:30:27

Does it need to be a phone? You could get an iPod Touch, which is essentially the same thing but can't make calls (it can do messaging at least whilst on wi-fi).

Chopstheduck Mon 12-Nov-12 07:31:04

this would suit a younger teen/preteen,, £130.

MrsCantSayAnything Mon 12-Nov-12 07:33:32

Do you know...she doesn't really NEED a phone. I think an itouch or ipod would be better. Thanks so much! SHe's too bloody young for a phone imo and can learn to wait.

What are these Android tablets I keep hearing of? Are they good? I could do with spending less really.

Chopstheduck Mon 12-Nov-12 07:38:34

Kindle fire might be a good option - here £159

Don't go for the really cheap chinese imported android tablets. We tried one, for about £90, and it was stuck as registered in China, and subject to communist limitations on the android market. Apparently most cheap tablets are the same. DS1 couldn't download half the things he wanted, and it ended up going back.

MrsCantSayAnything Mon 12-Nov-12 07:40:57

Oooh Kindle Fire! They look good and that's a very reasonable price too. Thanks for the Android warning! I didn't think of all that!

SavoyCabbage Mon 12-Nov-12 07:43:58

Yes, only buy 'proper' tablets if that's what you are thinking about buying. The Kindle Fire is a really good option.

tribpot Mon 12-Nov-12 07:47:56

Kindle fire is a good thought.

I'm looking round for a tablet and there are certainly some good ones around.

What is Android - a beginner's guide.

15 best Android tablets. Someone in my team has the Nexus 7 and personally I prefer the size of the iPad but if you don't carry a handbag around (which he doesn't, although he owns a man bag!) the Nexus is great.

TariffHound Mon 12-Nov-12 09:28:06

Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD are the two great options to consider for a tablet for less than £200. The Nexus 7 is the better all-rounder, and the Kindle Fire HD has a tighter integration with Amazon's book library.

Neither of these devices has a rear facing camera, so if one of the main jobs of the device is to take photos, you may need to look to spend a little more and consider an iPod Touch or iPad Mini.

MrsCantSayAnything Mon 12-Nov-12 14:11:42

Does anyone think the Kindle Fire will go down in price after Christmas? I'm on such a tight budget! And if I do buy one, will I have to shell out loads again on apps? Or are there free ones that I can get?

Chopstheduck Mon 12-Nov-12 16:08:15

It's unlikely to vary in price at all. There are tons of free apps, you shouldn't need to pay out for more apps.

chocolatespiders Sat 17-Nov-12 22:14:36

Nezus 7 16gb has come down in price with release of 32gb one.

Samsung galaxy 7 inch you can get for £150 with £30 cash back

Will se be wanting to take it out in pocket for music etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now