Is this Andriod tablet thingy useless for my DS?

(14 Posts)
PramFaceBuggyBrain Sat 10-Nov-12 21:24:56

I bought this for my five year old DS for Christmas because he loves the CBeebies website games. However, I can't access them on this. I can't download Adobe Flash either.

Any ideas, please? Am I being thick?

Thanks!

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 21:26:09

You have to download the old version of flash.

It's a stupid quirk of android 4.0 that it no longer supports flash hmm of course, if you have an old version, you can still update it confused (Makes no sense to me!)

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 21:30:10

First you need to go into settings and somewhere in there there's an option to allow non-market apps to be installed. It will give you a virus warning when you switch it on - that's fine, ignore it (you can switch it back off again once you've installed it)

Then, go here (just visit this thread using the browser on the tablet and then click this link)

helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

And click on the link at the bottom which says Flash Player 11.5, then install by clicking on the file when it downloads (it should self install)

Then your CBeebies and other flash games should work smile (Then go and switch off the option to install non-market apps)

You can get lots of free apps for young children on android, though, too.

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 21:31:07

Oh sorry blush The bit where it says "Flash Player for Android 4.0 archives" click the top one.

PramFaceBuggyBrain Sat 10-Nov-12 21:49:28

Thanks very, very much, BertieBotts. I've downloaded that, but unfortunately the games still won't play. Hmmmm, I'm so dim when it comes to these things.

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 21:56:11

Have you installed it?

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 21:56:28

You need to install it manually, unlike a normal android market app smile

PramFaceBuggyBrain Sat 10-Nov-12 22:00:38

Yes, it definitely installed. One game she likes is saying that the device doesn't have the correct plug-in. So confused!

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 22:09:22

Oh okay. It's probably after the most up to date one then. No way around that I'm afraid sad Sorry!

You could send it back if you've had it fewer than 7 days, or you could just look for some good free games in the google play store. Picsart Kids is a good one.

I don't know if iPads have flash? It might be worth looking at the mini one, or an iPod touch?

PramFaceBuggyBrain Sat 10-Nov-12 22:12:10

Ah, thanks. It says it's Android version 4.1.1. No idea if that's meaningful!

on my ipad I downloaded the puffin web browser app which lets you access flash sites, like reading eggs, oxford owl and i have just had a look at cbeebies and it works.

niceguy2 Sat 10-Nov-12 22:36:56

Personally I'd say forget it.

Firstly Flash on mobile/tablet devices isn't 100% the same as Flash on your laptop/desktop. In other words they are not 100% compatible. For simple stuff like watching videos then yes it's fine. But for games etc. often it's not.

What you will also quickly find (and I found this out the hard way too when my son wanted to play miniclip) is that even if you do manage to get a game to load, chances are you can't play it because the game was not designed for a touchscreen but for a keyboard and mouse. And you don't have one on the tablet! Even if you did bring up the onscreen keyboard, it sits on half the screen meaning you can't see the screen to play the game.

PramFaceBuggyBrain Sat 10-Nov-12 23:28:09

Wow! Thank you icapturethecastle - it worked! I downloaded the Puffin Web Browser for free and all the CBeebies games are working now. There is a little mouse on the screen which you can move around and the games are working fine.

Thanks again!!!!! smile

that's great i got the tip off another thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now