What is the difference between ipad with retina display 16gb and third generation wifi ipad 16gb?

(9 Posts)
NetworkGuy Thu 08-Nov-12 15:59:10

This isn't Apple selling the unit though. Wonder if there were some in storage at Argos. They really could still be selling the 3rd generation model.

rainbowriver - check your "when will iPad 4 come out" as from what 12thmonkey says, it should be the only one available (at least from Apple).

Guess one needs to ask some searching questions to be sure it is the 4th generation model, being sold, anywhere else.

12thmonkey Tue 06-Nov-12 09:13:31

I would void the ipad 3rd generation, it seems that this was a mistake release as apple no longer sell this officially and offered free upgrades to anyone who bought one in the lead up to the ipad 4.

the ipad mini is also another quick release to compete with the kindle file. the screen has poor resolution and it can probably run on a fast chip set and they will release an ipad mini2 next year

NetworkGuy Mon 05-Nov-12 19:33:00

We're agreed on that then smile

niceguy2 Mon 05-Nov-12 10:45:37

LOL. I meant 'cheapo' by Apple standards. Which isn't cheap at all by anyone elses standards!

NetworkGuy Mon 05-Nov-12 00:11:23

Maybe someone in Argos wasn't aware that 'New iPad' and 'iPad 3rd Gen' are one and the same, or put both in because some will have known of 'iPad 2' so will look for '3'. Unfortunately, 'New' seems to refer to both versions launched in 2012, ie v3 and v4.

"ipad mini is the cheapo one"

I don't really think 250+ quid is cheap, when my (admittedly Android and not the latest) 7" tablet cost just 99.99 last year.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Sun 04-Nov-12 15:44:33

For a company so obsessed with simplicity, they really don't do themselves any favours with the confusing naming convention on the ipads. I really don't understand why they don't just give them numbers.

rainbowriver Sat 03-Nov-12 20:33:05

If you look on Argos website it has the ipad third generation and then has NEW ipad with retina as two seperate items.

Just confused me!

niceguy2 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:23:18

the ipad 3 is the one with retina so it's the same tablet.

Ipad 1 is the original.
Ipad 2 is slimmer
ipad 3 is slightly thicker (i think about 1mm) and has the new screen.
Ipad 4 is coming out soon which is basically the 3 but with a better CPU and charger.
ipad mini is the cheapo one which will sell like hot cakes in the run up to xmas.

rainbowriver Sat 03-Nov-12 15:07:43

I take it the first one is the latest one but they are the same price. Seems a bit weird.

Still can't decide between ipad and ipad mini.

This has been going on for weeks now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now