Cornus kousa chinensis?

(4 Posts)
bumperella Sat 12-Jan-13 19:53:50

Thanks both! I only just have space for one (arguably i don't really have quite enough space) and therefore really expect fantastic things from it (if I plant one at all!). But they do look amazing in pictures - just never seen one in "real life" (or at least, not one that I've noticed doing its stuff).

Loquace Sat 12-Jan-13 17:20:58

Just up the road from me there were two planted on the side of the path, just before the house.

I used to catch my breath in spirng, really really really geogous. I have no memory of autumn colour, but around here there is a lot of competition for things that rock my world with autumn colour so maybe I didn't notcie.

Last Jan we had wierd weather and it went down to -22, which killed one of the two plants off. The other was a little lackluster this spring but as long as the weird weather doesn't return I hope I am squeaking "slow down slow down" at DH when we drive past the one remaining little tree this spring.

I have a big fat soft spot for it. I have a bit of garden that needs overhauling so I am going to try and find a special spot for one for myself. Will have to dig in loads of compost though, my soil is rubbish.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 12-Jan-13 17:13:37

I have no tips, but have you seen the RHS guide?

bumperella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:00:55

Anyone have one? Do they take ages to flower? And do they really have great autumn colour? And will they cope with a windy site?
I have one place I could possibly squeeze one into; it seels fine for everything (soil, light, size) but not sure if I'm kidding myself if it's worthwhile or not.
And if so, any recommendations as to which to get- so many with so little difference between them; but want to avoid a yellow-y white bract colour if possible, and am not over-blessed for space....
Anyone got tips?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now