The first rule of garden club is...!?!

(1000 Posts)
Lexilicious Mon 16-Jul-12 18:25:19

<echoing silence>

hoping Humph's Happy Osteospermumsnet chums will find this... la la la... I'm uite used to being betty no mates though...

Come on in and have a seat/kneeler/foam pad and a virtual [gin], anyone who wants to idly chat about what they've been dreaming of planting, actually planting, buying without a care for having a place for it, propagating, harvesting, hacking and chopping...

echt Wed 27-Feb-13 08:28:04

Yipping like loon that's it raining at last. smile Not just one day, but steady downpours for about 4 days. The initial drenching provoked 93% humidity and the first mozzie bite of the summer, which made me remark to a colleague we could have been in Brisbane. The riposte was: thankfully we're not. Melburnians are sooo snooty.grin

Loovely for the garden, but the weeds will be up mob-handed at the first sign of sun, having been flattened by weeks of unrelenting sun. Bastards.

samuelwhiskers Wed 27-Feb-13 08:52:33

oooh just found this, didn't realise that MN had a gardening forum, I am sooo excited. Looking forward to spring and getting lots of advice on here!!!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 27-Feb-13 09:02:56

Welcome, samuelwhiskers! Tell us about your garden.

MyDarlingClementine Wed 27-Feb-13 10:58:11

Yes me too, I was excited to see it - Samuel, but then MN of course has a thread about just about anything and everything!

MyDarlingClementine Wed 27-Feb-13 11:11:06

I am envious of you going to Gt Dixter!.envy I didn't make it for the weekend I was thinking of and thought it was closed till March. Maybe I'll go on my day off.

I stayed in a b and b right next to great dixter ( almost literally, 2 min walk) and at the time although loved gardening had no idea about GD blush, we went to sissinghurst too...

soo annoyed now.

samuelwhiskers Wed 27-Feb-13 11:17:22

thank you comeintothegarden! It is only 8 years old as new plot so had to start from scratch. We started by trying to screen ourselves from our neighbours and then built a raised vegetable garden at the back with gravel paths, semi English garden at the front, couple of terraces, one with pergola which has lots of clematis suffocating it, then a fairly steep bank down to a bottom garden with apple/pear tree, small football pitch. Never planted from scratch before and over planted massively!! Spent last year digging up unwanted or too big plants and bushes smile

EducationalAppStore Wed 27-Feb-13 11:24:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 27-Feb-13 11:31:33

Hello samuelwhiskers - your garden sounds lovely! I started with a blank canvas too but we are only four years in. I know what you mean about overplanting. My MIL, who has a beautiful and mature garden, says she does it too though.

rhihaf Wed 27-Feb-13 15:55:15

Although it's frrrreeezing and miserable outside, I just cleared away loads of overgrowth at the back of the house and my chives have come back! How they have survived I honestly don't know, but they have (goes into ridiculously optimistic daydream of how garden will look in summer)... and I even found the label for my now dead thyme! Funnyperson, your optimism is catching.

Humphrey - how do you define overplanting? I've just dug out and replanted a border and am waiting for no frost to plant out my summer bulbs and my cottage garden perennials from T&M (haven't arrived yet), but am concerned it's going to look really empty confused.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 27-Feb-13 17:50:50

Not allowing enough space for plants when they get big in the summer. I think it is a really tricky thing to get right. The worst culprit in our garden are the geraniums and catmint in the rose walk - we couldn't walk down the bloody path all last summer blush

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 27-Feb-13 18:36:57

Hmm. Within limits, I think overplanting is good. Nothing worse than stingy-looking borders. I like things to spill over and grow into each other.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 28-Feb-13 10:42:03

I know what you mean Maud, but I always fail to find the happy medium. I end up with some things completely shading out the others and thus failing to thrive, or impassable pathways!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 28-Feb-13 10:56:05

Yes, I thinking blocking paths or spilling onto the lawn and killing the weeds grass are a case apart!

cantspel Thu 28-Feb-13 16:04:13

I am back into garden mode now after a long cold wet winter.
I have spent most of the day tidying, cutting back and burning garden rubbish.
One large flower bed has been dug over and the contents of a compost bin dug in. The last of my tree lilies are in. My canna lilies are potted along with the dahlia in the utility area which doubles as my green house in spring. The bay tree is shaped but i still need to get the long ladder out to do the top.
leaf mold bagged up and ready for spreading
I am now worn out and need a shower as i smell of bonfire.

List of jobs still to do

cut back the suckers on the prunis
dig over the rose bed and compost
dig over 2 other flower beds and compost
lawn edges
scrub algae off garden pots and replace some of the broken feet
sort out what i want to put in the new flower bed i built last week.
prune a few large shrubs
burn more garden rubbish
and if we have a couple more dry days give the grass its first cut of the year.

echt Sun 03-Mar-13 07:33:18

Autumn arrived punctually on 1st March, with cooler evenings, but warm days 28-30.

I hacked 3 palm lilies cordyline rubra down to make room for a white buddleia. No tears to shed for this native, as the merest piece of root will grow again within 6 months. The Terminator of plants: I'll be back. These cordylines, are very good for height in a border; tough as old boots and give a jungly effect. No compunction about prioritising a non-native though, as I want see butterflies. Planted a thunbergia against the south-facing fence. They like light but not heat, and should race away.

A sulking grevillea Robyn Gordon must have heard me saying it was for the chop if it didn't cheer the feck up, and has put out a flower.grin

In a hot dry border I've planted a frangipani, so let's see what happens.

Split the pups of a bromeliad to make two, potted up, and hung from the fence. There are more than 25 of them now, and they break the monotony of the fence as effectively as a climber, and I can shift them around as they flower. They can be seen from the front room and kitchen all year round.

The big winter project is to get rid of the shed and plant a flowering gum corymbia ficifolia - think bright orange frizzy poms poms about the size of a child's football. We want to buy it as an advanced tree, about 6-7 feet. Big bucks, but fab tree.

funnyperson Sun 03-Mar-13 09:23:50

I loved reading that post echt

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 03-Mar-13 09:32:19

Yes, me too. It's a glimpse of gardening in a completely different climate.

echt Sun 03-Mar-13 19:51:37

Thank you, though I'm paying for it this morning. My hips are aching after all the crouching and tugging away at those blasted cordyline roots. I had to send in DH after the last one defeated me. He has had his reward by looking at the shed prior to taking it down next week:

DH: It shouldn't take too long.
Me: Good.
DH: And there's some good lengths of wood we can keep.
Me: <narrows eyes> Why?
DH: Because.

What is it about men and collecting wood?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 03-Mar-13 20:01:20

Or is it just about hoarding stuff?

echt Mon 04-Mar-13 06:11:55

I think that aspect is important, Maud; wood that Might Come In Handy.

When DH's father died, the garage he rented some way from his house was opened up and found to be full of wood from floor to ceiling, hence the narrowing of my eyes whenever the subject of "useful" wood comes up. grin

Sailormercury Mon 04-Mar-13 06:45:53

I can't wait to get DS one of those little Yeominis sets!

HumphreyCobbler Mon 04-Mar-13 11:43:34

it is innate to men, this hoarding wood thing. DH does it. I can't complain though, because it does tend to come in handy grin That tree sounds amazing echt - I too think you write really beautifully about your garden smile

We have got ten downy birch coming on Saturday to put in at the top of the garden - this is to help screen us from the barn next door and from the planned solar development. We have to buy more mature trees than we were planning so it is costing a fair bit. Hope they don't drown in the wet.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Fri 08-Mar-13 18:15:17

First GW of the year, tonight 8.30 smile

HumphreyCobbler Fri 08-Mar-13 19:59:20

Hooray!

Just came on to say GW at 8.30 tonight but Wynken got there first grin

I am going to plant stuff this weekend. I have determination. Plus if I can't get a couple of hours in the garden on Mother's Day I shall be cross!

I have some plants flowering in my garden. Things are looking up. And GW is back on, or did I already say that? I think a wineis in order to celebrate.

This thread is not accepting new messages.