The first rule of garden club is...!?!

(1000 Posts)
Lexilicious Mon 16-Jul-12 18:25:19

<echoing silence>

hoping Humph's Happy Osteospermumsnet chums will find this... la la la... I'm uite used to being betty no mates though...

Come on in and have a seat/kneeler/foam pad and a virtual [gin], anyone who wants to idly chat about what they've been dreaming of planting, actually planting, buying without a care for having a place for it, propagating, harvesting, hacking and chopping...

ISawMommyKissThorinOakenshield Wed 26-Dec-12 23:53:48

I'd love the Latin book, to brush up my diminished Latin vocabulary! I'd be happy to pay in plants in the spring.

AndIfATenTonTruck Thu 27-Dec-12 23:15:41

OK ISawMummy... I actually have one "RL person" that I was going to offer it to first, but will PM you if she already has it. Are you Bertha btw? smile

ISawMommyKissThorinOakenshield Fri 28-Dec-12 10:49:03

No, I'm Maud. I'm very happy for a real person to be given first dibs!

Oh, may I join in? I've been looking for a place to talk gardening while the weather is bad.

I hot a couple seed catalogues among the goodies in my stocking and some broad bean packets. I was planning to get out there today and put in a few rows to see how they do.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 30-Dec-12 17:50:20

Come Thundernlightening. My broad beans are still in the packet despite planning to plant them in the Autumn.

I got two half price David Austin Roses at a local garden centre they are part of a group if that helps anyone . Went for drink with friend who has neighbouring allotment last night and we went through the seed catalogue.

funnyperson Sun 30-Dec-12 20:15:06

What shall I do in my garden this January? It has been neglected for most of December.

echt Mon 31-Dec-12 07:08:25

Hello, funnyperson, so glad to see you posting here. I have nothing useful to say about January gardens as it's summer here, and I'm reaping the whirlwind of not mulching properly. sad

I rescued a sad aspidistra from a nature strip today and have decided to re-instate the pots and pots of aspidistras I grew in my pre-garden days, but now as a relief down the 35 foot drive down the side the house; very ugly, and needs softening but only with tough stuff, as it's not used as walk-through area. The drive is not used as drive, and is now a repository for firewood, a potting bench, and polystyrene boxes growing veggies. In a reversal of growing them in the UK, aspidistras are virtually indestructible; you can divide them with a spade, stuff them in a pot, and away they go.

AndIfATenTonTruck Mon 31-Dec-12 09:28:16

It's going to depend on whether it's frosty or just wet really funnyperson. If frosty there's no sense in any sort of digging, planting etc. if wet then I will try to convince myself to get out there and do a bit of tidying of leaves, dead branches etc., and get bulbs in at last. Maybe some more mulching, if there has been a few days of relative warmth, but otherwise it would just insulate frozen ground. Should turn the compost heap too, and organise the shed so there's room to move when it comes to time to plant seed trays.

Pisces Mon 31-Dec-12 09:31:23

Can I please ask if it is too late to plant daffodils and tulips? I was given a few bags full a month or so ago and have just not had chance to plant them.

AndIfATenTonTruck Mon 31-Dec-12 12:45:49

I still haven't, Pisces, but with the crazy weather patterns of the past couple of years who knows?! I am going to set aside next Saturday to do gardening (I hope) and get them in. I think the important thing about late panting bulbs is to make sure they don't sit in a soggy pit, so make a hole, put a good depth of bulb fibre (or potting compost) in the bottom and around the bulb, and keep the soil loose above. I saw some bulbs planted very late on an embankment on a uni campus one year, where they lifted a square foot of turf every few metres and chucked in a handful of bulbs, then put the turf back on. All that happened was that the shoots lifted the turf like a trapdoor - looked like the embankment's imps and faeries had decided to emerge...!!

Pisces Mon 31-Dec-12 12:50:51

grin thanks! I have had my NY plans changed so I am hoping to spend sometime in the garden this week and will therefore go ahead and plant the bulbs.

AndIfATenTonTruck Mon 31-Dec-12 14:15:00

Late panting bulbs should be late planting bulbs, of course. But you caught my drift...!

funnyperson Mon 31-Dec-12 14:50:32

Thats a useful point about bulbs not sitting in a soggy pit, tenton and tidying up the old pots and garden debris ready for the new year.
My hellebores are looking healthy and there are new shoots coming from the bottom of the plants. Does anyone have any views about whether to cut off the old leaves as one would for a herbaceous plant, or whether to leave the old leaves which are looking perfectly green and healthy btw. Also should I water the bamboo on the balcony in the winter?
Crocus shoots are coming up- always so nice to see, and buds on the rhodedendrons and magnolias. Lets hope there isn't a late hard frost in Jan/Feb as there often is.

funnyperson Mon 31-Dec-12 14:56:54

I seem to remember potting bench discussions last year. What did people get in the end? I might get one this year.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 01-Jan-13 21:50:47

Happy New Year everyone, old and new. I still have a box of bulbs waiting to be planted. Bad weather and bad health have conspired against me recently.

Funnyperson - I have always read that you should cut off old hellebore foliage, to make way for the new.

echt Wed 02-Jan-13 03:04:45

I got our potting bench from Aldi, in one of those weird-shit-we're-selling-this-week deals. Everywhere else in Melbourne, they'd look at you confused just for asking. What is potting bench? Really.

Today I'm off to save some gardenias. I thought it was the sun which was doing them in, but having driven past a house we once rented where they are magnificent and in the same aspect, I can see it's the soil. Sooo, digging the whole lot out and dump in Seasol seaweed solution to stop them panicking, take out about 2 by 3 feet of sandy soil and replace it with native soil+cowshit+water crystals+wetting granules.

It SAYS it's 21 outside, but the beating sun says 26 to me. Hat on. Dig dig.

funnyperson Fri 04-Jan-13 18:00:31

There is a lovely link to a gardeners world feature on Hellebores here
www.herts-hellebore.co.uk/

I am getting excited about my Hellebores this year. cutteduppear sent me some seedlings last year and I also planted a few other varieties. Can't wait to see how they come up.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-Jan-13 18:22:19

Hellebores are just gorgeous - I'm usually lucky in buying seedlings at our spring plant sale, although mine never produce seedlings. I like the white ones and the black ones best.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 05-Jan-13 16:02:13

hello everyone

my garden thinks it is spring, all the tulips in the front are coming up!

Just spent a happy hour clearing the front garden. Lots of bramble suckers to deal with. DH is pruning the rose walk. It is at times like this I am pleased to be short.

I love hellebores too - we have transplanted some seedlings into the spring borders but I have read they take about four years to flower. We have a couple of massive clumps that are one of the few things left from the previous garden, I meant to split them this year but didn't get round to it.

New Year Gardening Resolutions
Spend at least half an hour DAILY in the garden, however bad the weather.
Dig up nettles in the orchard when they are easy to get up.
Cut things back to keep paths free

We had a sad chicken massacre a few days ago, not one left sad Many headless corpses strewn about the orchard though. sad I HATE foxes.

Happy New Year everyone. I meant to add some hellebores to the front garden but never got round to it. I'm going to have hellebore jealousy again this year aren't I?

Sorry to hear about the chickens Humphrey, foxes are evil. Need to get my chickens back from kennels tomorrow as we've just spent a happy week skiing in the Alpine sunshine.

Will inspect the garden tomorrow to see if anything is happening though I suspect that it's still trying to not be a swamp.

Seed catalogues coming in and have already started massing a few unusual seed varieties from various sources (including Santa - how does he know?). Need to get this year's veg plot planting planned out before I end up with too much and no room again smile

HumphreyCobbler Sat 05-Jan-13 22:17:24

sounds like a nice trip bertha - sunshine!

LexyMa Fri 11-Jan-13 09:57:40

Hello! (latest Lexi name change...)

Just thought I'd bounce back in like the bad news fairy... Look away if eating or squeamish: "(Dr Bedford) is collecting information on sightings of large slugs, crops that have been damaged and 'unusual incidents relating to slugs'" The mind boggles. If you have a really strong stomach, look in the comments for one by Taino Aceitillo... <snurk>

I have similar resolutions to Humph. 15 minutes at either end of the day, rather than binge gardening at weekends. But still haven't planted bulbs.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 11-Jan-13 15:10:11

Dh has just talked to me at length about the difficulties of pruning the crab apples (I ALWAYS type crap abbles first!). I am none the wiser.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 11-Jan-13 15:12:49

yuck yuck yuck, that slug thing is indeed vile

Yuk.

I have bulbs coming up already. No doubt the coming cold snap will brown off the tips like last year.

Am planning to take the 'roof' off the veg plot tomorrow in case of snow. Do not want a repeat of last year's collapse.

This thread is not accepting new messages.