bastard slugs are eating EVERYTHING this year! what won't they eat?

(118 Posts)
cormsilkye Fri 06-Jul-12 19:02:54

bastard slugs and I suspect the snails are having a go as well
what plants do slugs not like to eat? I like cottage garden flowery types if that helps

TheMysteryCat Fri 06-Jul-12 21:29:29

i posted this on a previous bastard slugs thread...

porridge!

i'm on one week of a slug free veg patch now, after having lost courgettes, marigolds, french beans, peas, tons of herbs and other flowers to the fuckers.

i've also salted, slung 'em over the fence (there is a slug splat on my neighbours wall and i'm not owning up!)

but, porridge is by far the best.

Beamur Fri 06-Jul-12 21:34:58

Porridge?
Tell us more!

SandStorm Fri 06-Jul-12 21:37:07

We've been using coffee grinds this year too. It hasn't had 100% success but it's certainly an improvement on last year.

AdventuresWithVoles Fri 06-Jul-12 21:37:49

Beer traps are more maintenance than I'd like, esp. with the heavy rain.
Is it the milk in the porridge?

orangeandlemons Fri 06-Jul-12 21:44:36

Now they haven't devoured my sunflowers, the rain finished them off.

But they have been earting my phlox which they don't normally eat, and have also been having a go at a poppy too.

I have been very free handed with the slug pellets. The resulting carnage is very satisfying. I had forgotten about marigolds, but it is just to wet to even face going outsad

TheMysteryCat Fri 06-Jul-12 22:01:12

you sprinkle or mound the dry porridge around your plants or the routes onto a veg patch.

the slugs eat the porridge.

the slugs crawl off and go bang....

it's nice to taste, but not good for slugs.

no pets or children were harmed in the destruction of these beasties.

Porridge

GrimmaTheNome Fri 06-Jul-12 22:02:25

I'm rather puzzled ... I usually have lots of slugs around my garden (leopards in compost heap and invading house), and lots of birds but just now I looked at my one unnetted strawberry plant and discovered several totally uneaten berries, 4 ripe ones (no longer uneaten)!

Maybe the birds have eaten so many slugs they're full?

orangeandlemons Fri 06-Jul-12 22:10:33

Dry porridge? Would the be the oatmeal, or actually cooked porridge that has dried.

Doesn't it go soggy in the never ending rain?

usualsuspect Fri 06-Jul-12 22:13:27

Oh I'm interested in the porridge theory , the bastard slugs have chomped everything in my garden

My strawberries have just rotted though

TheMysteryCat Fri 06-Jul-12 22:14:32

sorry, yes the oatmeal. it hasn't gone too soggy and the slugs don't seemed concerned. i've topped it up once this week.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 06-Jul-12 22:26:02

Wow... so the birds get oat-stuffed slug?

TheMysteryCat Fri 06-Jul-12 22:29:06

a rare delicacy, i'm informed.

It's oatly marvellous! smile

slowlyburningcalories Fri 06-Jul-12 22:42:25

Can vouch for porridge oats, used ti di a deal with a local shop that I bought the out of date ones for a few pennies :-)

Another reason fir raised beds, copper tape also works, and of course the beer traps but I can never empty them, DH has to do that

storytopper Fri 06-Jul-12 22:57:49

Really interested in the porridge idea - thanks for the tip. I tried beer last year but no success. I didn't sink the containers - just left saucers lying around and I used Stella which the snails seemed to hate - might have done better with sweeter beer.

I hope the porridge works in my garden as I have lost so many plants to snails this year including those I grew from seed -marigolds and petunias. Grrrrrr....

Btw - I work in a college and the catering lecturer told me he pays £20 per kilo for edible snails. This time next year we could all be millionaires!

AdventuresWithVoles Sat 07-Jul-12 09:30:01

but how does the porridge work to cause bloating if it gets soggy wet before they eat it? confused

Also seems wrong to use food as pest control; food is too valuable as is the land it's grown on. Course I said I use beer traps, which has same problem (high quality water + barley).

storytopper Sat 07-Jul-12 13:59:36

Alternatives to using oats or beer would be to use some kind of chemical pellets. I worry that they would harm wildlife, beneficial insects or pets.

Also, offering food seems a bit less cruel than putting down poison - am I just kidding myself here?

Making slug pellets will also use up some of the world's resources - they still need ingredients, packaging, transport, etc.

TheMysteryCat Sat 07-Jul-12 15:12:30

you can get organic slug pellets which are safe for pets/wildlife and children, but agree with storytopper that all treatments for slugs will have a carbon footprint and use resources.

the only totally natural thing to do is to encourage birds into the garden and hope they pick off the slugs. But as slugs tend to come out after the birds have gone to bed, it's not really going to be very effective.

I've just been out to check on the veggies and looks like i need to replace the porridge, as some of it has gone very soggy, but the current lot has been down for 4 days (and the rain has been torrential here), so i think it doesn't degrade down to mush too quickly.

be interested to know how others get on with this.

Itwillendinsmiles Sat 07-Jul-12 15:45:03

Bran also works in the same way as porridge oats and you can also put down grapefruit and orange skins and check under them for sheltering molluscs in the morning.

I favour evening/morning patrols and simply dispose of what I've gathered...

orangeandlemons Sat 07-Jul-12 17:30:35

I have just spoken to a gardener of 30 years hwo tries to be organic when ever possible. She is adamant that oats and marigolds don't work well enough sad. She now uses organic slug pellets.

A colleague says that after 3 years of picking off every slug and snail she saw, that she noticed a big reduction in the 4th year

Phacelia Sat 07-Jul-12 19:28:44

My garden is getting munched too but worse still I just think they look so disgusting. They're HUGE, and tbh when I look out my window it looks like the place is covered in dog sh..... well you might be eating but you get the idea.

I hate them.

storytopper Sat 07-Jul-12 19:38:37

Erm, don't wish to be gruesome, but what did your friend do with the slugs and snails once she had picked them off, orangesand lemons? I don't mind picking up snails but killing them would be quite hard for me. Slugs on the other hand. ......eewww..... Definitely a job for rubber gloves.

Perhaps I could force myself to drop them in beer. Would that be a fairly painless end?

orangeandlemons Sat 07-Jul-12 19:48:00

She put them in a plastic bag, and poured salt in it grin. She then put them in the bin.

A deserving ingnomonious (igmonious)end for the little bastards.

I have just been out to add slug pellets to my porridge. I absent mindedly tipped them onto my herbswhere the bastards had devoured an entire basil plant. The twats angry

orangeandlemons Sat 07-Jul-12 19:54:49

...or you could do what I did about 5 years ago in a fit of hatred and vitriol.
This is not for the faint hearted........

I put them in a bag in the middle of our road and let a car drive over them. I know I am a cruel and heartless cow, but I was so sick of them, and the momentary orgasm of pleasure on hearing the squelch was unequalled. Then the guilt kicked on.....but that second of pleasure and revenge has yet to be surpassed

stubbornstains Sat 07-Jul-12 20:00:28

I must admit the most appealing thing about using organic slug pellets is that they apparently make the slugs explode.......

There was a slug in my garden the other day that was at least 4 inches long. I wanted to vomit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now