Osteospermumsnet.com - flutter your foliage, pick your produce, shake your seed packets and bring your blooms to the Spring Show

(1000 Posts)
Lexilicious Thu 03-May-12 22:46:42

Welcome to the gardening quiche smile

Earlier malarkey was here

All welcome whether you are a Sackville-West or a Dimmock, an Oudolf or a Swift. Whether you dream of digging or dig for dreams.

Fair weather or foul, we've got disco lights in the potting shed and fairy lights on the terrace. Bring gin, wine just doesn't cut it round here.

chixinthestix Fri 04-May-12 21:38:57

Bertha, I've grown morning glory for the first time this year, they are still in the greenhouse, now about 3" high and growing really slowly. Do they usually take a while to get going? Perhaps I ought to start hardening them off and get them out into the garden?

Also missing GW but here in Wales its always being postponed to make way for interminable rugby matches and put on a random other times at the weekend so nothing new sad

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 04-May-12 21:59:56

Love the thread title Lexi

I have gardening plans for the weekend, weather permitting.
I've decided to dig up and replant one of my flowerbeds. It's very weedy and I'm not happy with it so rather than work around it I DH am going to dig it up, rescue the two or three things in it that I like and start with a blank canvas. I'm thinking roses, lavender and some applemint with viscaria and stock.

Of course, it will mean a trip to the garden centre grin

echt Fri 04-May-12 22:02:48

How I miss GW. Here in Oz we have a half hour weekly prog, though not in winter, which covers the gardening to an entire continent. There isn't the depth.

Or Monty Don. Though Costa is a bit different. Google "Costa on Gardening Australia" to see a wild man.smile

Chix - first time I've grown morning glory too so I can't help I'm afraid. Mine are about a foot high now after having a very sudden growth spurt. (They didn't seem to do anything for ages and then the next time I looked they were huge!) They're in the conservatory which gets pretty chilly overnight so I'm hoping they'll cope with the real outdoors ok.

chixinthestix Fri 04-May-12 22:37:21

Thanks Bertha, maybe mine will do the same then!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-May-12 23:41:44

You have reminded me that none of my morning glory Grandpa Otts have germinated. Pah. And no GW tonight. Pah pah. I think my last zinnia seedling has just keeled over. Pah pah pah.

Excellent news, though, about Worzel's house.

::Looks for gin::

CuttedUpPear Sat 05-May-12 00:07:02

chixinthestix Don't put your Morning Glories out yet. For one thing we're due frost this weekend which will kill them. They need to become big and strong in your greenhouse, I usually wait until they have started to twizzle a bit because slugs will munch them if they are lying about on the soil. They also need a hot sunny spot to flower.

chixinthestix Sat 05-May-12 00:13:09

Thank you, I was planning to put them up against the house wall, south facing so nice and warm, but will wait until they are less weedy and its warmer!

echt Sat 05-May-12 07:33:56

I've been putting bromeliads into hanging pot holders, putting them on the garden fence in a long sheltered south (cool) facing passage, overlooked by a wall of windows.
The fence has three two and half by four foot pieces of rebar hanging off the fence by hooks, that I have climbers ready to go: star jasmine and hoya. The good thing is I can move the bromeliads around as they flower, or, in the summer as it gets a real blast of afternoon sun, I can put them in the shade.

It's lovely, and makes the winter view all the richer.

I recommend rebar and hooks as climbing frames because they rust nicely, are cheap, and you can take them with you. I haven't seen them in the UK, but I'm sure they can be bought.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 05-May-12 07:40:54

4 pages already ! I do like the title and am planning to flutter my foliage this weekend.

Oca doesn't need earthing up, it's a chuck it in and leave it kind of thing.

Dawney, sorry to hear about the breast abcesses, very glad you are in the mend. A friend of mine had one and then developed scepticemia, it was all very scary at the time.

Worzel, congrats on the house. We had a couple of valuations yesterday and one buttered me up saying how nice the garden was- then launched in with a low valuation so I went off her at that point. I've seen a bungalow with a massive garden and am really tempted but it would be so much work to do as would need to extend the house. I don't think I have it in me to start again but then I think of the garden and all those fruit trees.

Cutteduppear, very impressed we have a RHS trained person here. Can I ask which part of the country roughly you're in ?

Solar lights and fairy lights are fine by my thinking. After all the hard work of digging you need to be able to sit and enjoy your work.

I have been an idiot and went to a meeting about a pond at DS's school as the PTA chair said she felt she should go as the guy organising is her deputy and I am treasurer (we got stitched up ) so thought I had better go too. You won't need to volunteer she said. Next minute it seemed that we were all committing to digging the flipping thing I was hissing at her through gritted teeth I hated her. Definitely need to extricate from that one as have enough to do with garden and allotment . It will be lovely though when done and I've found a charity who will consider an application for resources for the children to use, that's my contribution !

I still haven't planted any beans etc as it's so flipping cold here, haven't even stuck my spuds in yet. It really doesn't feel like May at all.

CuttedUpPear Sat 05-May-12 07:59:41

Wynken I'm on the Welsh borders with a heavy clay soil locally.

Your comment about the school pond - I got strongarmed into designing an outdoor classroom for DCs school years ago. Lots of people from the village helped and gave their time. It's across the road from the school as we are in a sloping valley.
The teachers at the time got trained by Forest Schools to use it within the curriculum. It had a storytelling area, willow tunnel, pond and lots of planting.

The school had a high turnover of staff for some reason and stopped using it. I had always maintained it but when my DCs left I would have preferred other parents to get involved, and said so.
Within three years it stood unused and now I don't think the school even know it exists as a resource. Heartbreaking.

Lexilicious Sat 05-May-12 09:19:08

oh that's sad CUP, even if it wasn't your own hard work, to see a resource just being wasted in a time of (presumably) budget cuts etc is a real annoyance.

yay for the house worzels, yay for the hurdles Humph, boo to all the slugs, yay for hungry chickens, and <huff> at there still being frosts.

I did an hour yesterday afternoon with DS, planting out a couple of things and earthing up spuds. We did some weeding on the rockery and then I heard Those Words in a little toddler voice "look mummy, some poo!" so we went straight inside to wash hands and put 'cat repellent' on the shopping/to do list.

Today will be all about the weeding of what I should probably just call the horsetail garden - the front garden really. There are comfrey plants popping up everywhere there (which fit my R/W/B colour scheme) and French marigolds and calendula (which don't). I've also got to move some sweet rocket out there, and pot up another few which I've put on the intranet at work as a garden gate sale, along with lemon balm, a vinca, geraniums and yellow tomatoes.

worzelswife Sat 05-May-12 12:09:21

Many thanks for all the new house good wishes! :-) Will have to add photos to my profile when I move in/plant things there.

Hope no one gets horrendous frost this weekend; the weather reports don't look good. We do at least have some sun at the moment.

(I love fairy lights in the garden btw!)

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 05-May-12 13:28:34

CUP, that is really sad, I'll be really cross if the pond gets neglected. I was going to engage your services if you were my neck of the woods. We've got garden all round the house, the big enclosed is L shaped and I need a bit of inspiration at some point now the DC's are getting older and don't really use the play things so much.

Lexi you have my sympathies with the horsetail, my old allotment had it.

Impressed you can see the sun Worzel, no sign of it down here. Looking forward to the pics in the future.

I have missed the local plant sale today as went out for a very rare child free couple of hours with DH, hope he appreciates my sacrifice.

The allotment is calling to me but I'm not really in the mood today and would rather potter in the greenhouse.

teta Sat 05-May-12 13:53:48

I'm also growing Morning glory.Mine germinated very quickly but then didn't seem to grow at all for several weeks.I've been told that they grow and flower much better in a conservatory or a sunny greenhouse.They probably would do well outside if we have a hot summer in a protected position-but will we?.I will try in both places this year.
Cuttedup... i would find that heart-breaking.Why is the school not making use of it as a resource?.I'm glad that you are better DawnDonna,congratulations Worzel on the new house.
My 13 year old dd has gone camping this holiday[with only one change of thermals].I'm wondering whether i'm going to get a call in the middle of the night saying 'come and collect me-i'm freezing' and i have to trail to some godforsaken campsite in the middle of nowhere.However i am so glad i havn't planted my sweet peas yet[as they still look rather etiolated and sick].

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 05-May-12 15:48:35

CuttedUpPear - My friend (also RHS qualified, has made gardens at Chelsea Flower Show) says that is what she finds most heartbreaking, too. Gorgeous designs, beautiful planting but owners let it go to rack and ruin and within a couple of years it's all just a mess.

i think I'm going to empty the plastic greenhouse of all the failed seeds. Sigh.

rhihaf Sat 05-May-12 16:39:41

Hello everybody smile
Have been reading the Come into the garden thread with interest over the last few months... am so glad there are other people haven't planted loads of stuff yet. I planted radish, pak choy, spring onions and beetroot about a month ago and only the radish has come up... sad

BUT I also got four spud patio sacks (£1 each, Poundland) and planted Charlotte second earlies and they've all sprouted! How much sprout should be showing before I earth them up? <awaits wise gardening words of wisdom>

Is anyone else preggers while gardening? I am 34 wks tomorrow and had a row some advice from friends/family for digging out all the old crap on my paths by the raised beds. Hubby was helping adn we cleared all the mud away and replaced it with two trailer fulls of shale. It is now usable - yey!

For the record - I love fairly lights in the garden!

cantspel Sat 05-May-12 18:22:28

My oldest boy school has amazing gardens ( it is a SEN secondary). They grow alot of the veg that is served up in the school meals on their allotments and have their own herb garden. They have a couple of massive poly tunnels that at the moment are growning under the weight of all the plants they are getting ready for their annual plant sale. All plants are grown from seeds and cutting by the pupils and the sale raises extra funds for the school.
It is a great way of teaching the children a pratical skill, getting them interested in gardening and out in the fresh air as well as making money for the school.
I shall get all my bedding plants and probably a few extras for the garden from them and i wont feel i am spending too much as it is all for a good cause. I love it guilt free garden spendinggrin

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 05-May-12 18:49:48

That sounds wonderful, cantspel. I think gardening is a good thing for all schools to offer and there are some fantastic gardening projects near us for children and adults with additional needs.

Greetiings, rhihaf.

::Proffers gin::

karatekimmi Sat 05-May-12 19:27:23

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and still gardening (weeding the allotment I got at 35 ish weeks). One of the best positions according to my mw is on your hands and knees, as it takes pressure off your back. It is also excellent for helping get/keep baby head down in the correct position for birth!!! That's what I keep telling my mum when she moans at me!! (have been sensible and only do an hour at a time!)

I have my sister up til Sunday, so no gardening, and then Mondays meant to be miserable here sad wanted to get some planting done as evaction plan is begining on Tuesday!!

Lexilicious Sat 05-May-12 20:43:01

Maud that's just cruel! Rhihaf, here's some elderflower cordial made up with half a glass of fizz.

By the time I bother to earth up potatoes they are usually showing about 4-6 inches of growth. I then add compost till they're only just showing. I have a test patch of Mozarts this year in the border which are mostly just getting untreated garden soil. We'll see how their yield compares with the spuds in sacks that are getting pure new compost.

This year I'm going completely peat free (although does seed compost usually have peat in?) and my brand is the B&Q cheap stuff, called Verve. I was using New Horizons most of last year but it was rather chunky and looked like only partially rotted down woodchippings were a major constituent. The Verve stuff is very black, feels richer and one bag had a distinctly manurey smell.

Wonder if this weekend's frosts will catch the slugs out too - they might be killed off, evil cackle...

I got nothing done in the today because my two year old toddler needed to be played with all day (i briefly attempted to gain his assistance in the front garden, but as ever he made a break for it down the street) and my 37 year old toddler didn't want to do anything parent-like. So our family day out tomorrow will be turned into a boys day out and I will have the day to myself I think. (am in quite a grump).

CuttedUpPear Sat 05-May-12 20:48:31

Maud I really empathise with your garden designer friend.
I have had the misfortune to see a few of the gardens I've designed once the owners have had a few seasons in charge of them really go downhill.

On the other hand I actually carry out maintenance on two gardens I designed and built - they are very local to me and of course they are looking ACE!

I have an arrangement with another client that she can text me photos of things she suspects as weeds anytime whatsoever and I will advise.

Unfortunately it just isn't possible to do this for everyone so bad pruning, rampant weeds and badly thought out annual bedding tends to take over once I've gone.

Blynken where are you? I take on clients all over the place. Though probably not Scotland.

Teta I think the school got deeply involved in new brooms, nat. curriculum and SATs figures and forgot all about what goes on outside the school building.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 05-May-12 20:54:05

Oh dear, Lexi. That sounds trying. Have some gin.

CuttedUpPear - What grieves my friend is that these customers will be willing to invest a lot of (their) money and (her) time in creating something lovely, but don't seem to appreciate that a garden is a living thing and if it isn't tended it'll revert to wilderness.

CuttedUpPear Sat 05-May-12 20:56:30

EXACTLY.
I try to emphasise to clients that plants are not furniture, this is not interior design.
It's more along the lines of having many passive pets!

CuttedUpPear Sat 05-May-12 20:59:08

Actually this is a v v v valid point in relation to living willow tunnels, arbours, domes.
If you don't commit to one day's maintenance every winter (and it's surprising how many don't) you will end up with a bunch of willow trees on your property.

Also leave willow structures well alone in the summer, this is not the time to prune, you'll lose all potential strength and structure.

Rant over smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.