What to serve with chocolate mousse for valentines day?

(19 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Tue 10-Feb-09 08:33:25

Hi

Going to do chocolate mousse served in ramekins for dessert on valentines day. I feel like it needs something with it though, but I cant think what?

I was thinking of melting some white chocolate and using a heart template to make a white chocolate heart on top of the mousse but thats more to make it look pretty than anyhting.

What do you think? Does it need fruit? a biscuit? If so what kind?

Thank you!

christiana Tue 10-Feb-09 08:42:49

Message withdrawn

2pt4kids Tue 10-Feb-09 08:43:56

serve yourself up naked alongside? grin

Buda Tue 10-Feb-09 08:45:13

Strawberries.

kalo12 Tue 10-Feb-09 08:46:19

yes strawberries or raspberries

notamumyetbutoneday Tue 10-Feb-09 08:52:16

grin 2pt4- I suspect that would go down quite well!

Im putting baileys in it...do you think that makes a differencve to what i should serve with it?

If serving fruit, would you just put it on the side or would you 'do' something with it?

Nontoxic Tue 10-Feb-09 09:05:20

I say berries - artfully arranged strawberry slices or a little pile of blueberries, possibly with a dredge of icing sugar - maybe a mint leaf (or maybe that's totally naff!)

ChampagneDahling Tue 10-Feb-09 12:32:46

sounds good nontoxic. or cape gooseberries or kumquats (if you can get/afford them) or just little almond biscuits.

JulesJules Tue 10-Feb-09 12:38:24

I would do strawbs or rasps and a lovely little biscuity thing.

notamumyetbutoneday Tue 10-Feb-09 13:47:07

what kind of biscuity thing Jules??Thats the kind of thing I was thinking but am devoid of inspiration.

I will definitely do berries on the side as well if I can find some that arent hideously expensive being out of season!

ABetaDad Tue 10-Feb-09 13:52:13

How about a pear boiled in Vanilla Sugar sytrup and then sliced artfully into segments.

Easy to do - tastes nice and cuts through the chocolate flavour when the taste buds get too coated.

lilolilmanchester Tue 10-Feb-09 14:43:27

I'd serve a biscuit. Something as simple as shortbread would be nice, an almondy biscuit perhaps.

NogginOfRum Tue 10-Feb-09 15:55:38

What about making some sesame seed snaps; sesame seeds and caramel.
I've seen them suggested with chocolate mousse in a recipe book- possibly Jamie Oliver??

JulesJules Tue 10-Feb-09 17:50:55

Well if I was making them, I would probably do shortbread, easy and delicious! If I was buying, I would get something like langues du chat or almond thins, or butter thins or similar from the posh bikkie section grin

Nontoxic Tue 10-Feb-09 19:24:39

But if it's Valentines Day you don't want to be dozing off with the sugar and white flour!
Depends on how starchy the meal is, I suppose - as Dad said, fruit would 'cut through' the slightly cloying texture of the choc, and is a bit more sophis.

Thefearlessfreak Tue 10-Feb-09 19:29:51

Quite a plain biscuit - like a shortcake ...but deffo strawberries as well imo

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 11-Feb-09 08:45:17

Good point nontoxic- think overstuffing myself and getting my post-choc belly out would def ruin the mood...

Think i will go with fruit...its the easiest option anyway!

JulesJules Wed 11-Feb-09 21:17:58

One thin little biscuit!!! Not the whole packet! It's just to provide a crunchy change in texture to complement the smooth voluptuous mousse... hardly enough to make you pass out, that's what the champagne is for!

user1470016441 Mon 01-Aug-16 02:59:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now