I'm finally getting an oven! Please tell me some very easy recipes :)

(13 Posts)
fuzzpig Wed 20-Jan-16 15:05:08

I've been ovenless for about 2 years I think, we've made do with just the grill and hotplates but enough is enough. A new one is on its way. YAY! grin

I'm generally catering for 2 adults and 2 DCs, my DH is coeliac so anything gluten free would be a bonus although we don't always eat together as he's home late, so not essential for every day.

I need things that are as easy as possible because I find food prep very difficult due to pain/dizziness. But I don't want to rely on ready meals etc.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! smile

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 20-Jan-16 17:51:19

A chicken is easy. Especially the Co op chickens -come in a plastic bag- you bung the whole lot in and roast.

Chicken portions - with a bit of chilli flakes, slices of lemon, herbs, splash of oil -baked

Fish portions - baked in foil. Slices of lemon/lime, chilli, herbs (I like chilli and herbs!)

fuzzpig Wed 20-Jan-16 18:34:45

Thanks po what herbs do you use? I don't have any dried herbs in but have some spices like paprika etc

I forgot to say, apparently this oven has a rotisserie attachment grin grin I am childishly excited about it.

Deux Wed 20-Jan-16 19:35:43

Also if you're doing say a whole chicken, cook a load of baked potatoes at the same time to maximise your energy usage.

You can cool and freeze them for a quick meal another time. Or scoop them out for potato skins or instant mash.

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 20-Jan-16 19:57:30

I have a lot of dried herbs in as they do come in useful.

Oregano lifts many meaty dishes. As well as going great on pizzas.

Herbs du provence is useful - a combo.

AvaCrowder Wed 20-Jan-16 20:12:09

I'm happy that you have an ovenflowers

Coeliac and low prep is a tricky combination.

How about;

Jacket potatoes
Shepherds/cottage pie using pre chopped/ frozen veg. Can you buy prepared gluten free mash?
Rice pudding
Foil wrapped fish with new potatoes and other veg, this is our hangover dinner, low prep and healthy
Chicken wrapped in bacon/ham cooked on top of new potatoes
Tray bake chicken with peppers and sweet potatoes, I think with garlic powder and paprika
Baked apples with cinnamon and nuts and sultanas stuffed in the cores.

Have fun with your new oven!

fuzzpig Wed 20-Jan-16 20:27:41

Mouth watering now, thank you all!

Love the idea of energy usage as well. It's technically a 'mini oven' but it's still big enough for 2 shelves at a time unlike most (60l compared to most minis which are 18-40ish).

The freezer is stocked with various frozen veggies - I've only just discovered that you can get both types of onion, pepper and mushrooms (the latter is particularly useful since we don't eat them enough to buy fresh).

It's quite shocking just how much we've been missing, we kind of got used to not having a proper oven but I'm really excited that we can do stuff like pastry again. Also DD (who is home ed) has been wanting to write a recipe book so we are going to have heaps of fun experimenting. smile

Dancingqueen17 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:29:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Deux Thu 21-Jan-16 10:13:48

Just thought of something else.

If you have a muffin tin you can make mini quiches without pastry by lining the tins with a square of paper then add your egg mixture. They freeze well.

fuzzpig Mon 25-Jan-16 17:21:07

Thanks all smile really looking forward to trying everything! The oven has arrived and we've been rearranging (and finally tidying blush) the kitchen to fit it in.

whois Mon 25-Jan-16 17:38:59

You can buy GF pizza bases frozen so you could do your own GF pizza.

Defo things like fish pie, cottage pie, lasangne etc. All shouldn't require too much prep if you use forzen chopped veggies.

You can do lots of roasts where you do the meat and veg all in one pan - google to find ones you like bit for e.g.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775657/onepan-roast-dinner

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/summer-tray-baked-salmon/#7oK7Of2MHjJKJQ0L.97

www.mummypages.co.uk/recipes/tray-baked-cod-with-runner-beans-pancetta-and-pine-nuts

blueteapot Mon 25-Jan-16 22:08:21

Found your thread fuzz!

(GF) pasta bake? Gf lasagne?
Moussaka!
Bake in the bag maggi things - BBQ / paprika / garlic chicken all go down well here
Sausage traybake?
Yorkshire puds?
Casserole baked in a casserole dish? Similarly curry (Is it a balti thats baked with rice?)
Apple crumble / any number of baked goods but not great for GF

We also use the frozen peppers / mushrooms (we use lots of other frozen veg too but those were a great discovery!)

My DS likes chicken thighs baked on the bone, just salt and pepper until the skin is all crispy mmm

fuzzpig Tue 26-Jan-16 20:26:27

Thank you!

Oddly, crumble is one of the few things where going GF doesn't affect the taste at all smile (others being pancakes and yorkshire puds)

I am ridiculously excited about Thursday, as we are having a roast. Trying the rotisserie thing with chicken.

I think I need to start next week's meal plan now, because there are so many things I want to try!

I do love baked chicken thighs. We've been grilling them but they don't turn out so nice IME. Tell you what makes them really tasty though - and I thought DH was nuts when he tried it - marinading in golden syrup shock artery-cloggingly good.

DH isn't around for all meals so I will be doing something with ready rolled pastry. I really miss pastry even if my waistline doesn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now