NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Cooking apple recipes

(7 Posts)
Jaynebxl Wed 09-Oct-13 18:08:47

We are buried alive in cooking apples. We've had crumbles and pies, now I wondered if anyone had any favourite cooking apple recipes they would like to share?

Thanks.

WomanNeedsDivorceLawyer Wed 09-Oct-13 23:17:57

You can freeze cooking apples. Peel and slice them and then dip them in lemon or orange juice to stop them from browning too much and then freeze them. They will probably brown a little and they are not quite as nice as using fresh apples but they are perfectly fine for making pies and crumbles all through the winter.

siblingrevelry Thu 10-Oct-13 11:55:01

www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/apple-muffins-recipe

I've not tried this yet but found it on Pinterest and added it to my list for the weekend baking!

Apologies if you already knew this, but I've only just found out that you can make buttermilk if you don't have it/can't get it, and as the recipe calls for buttermilk I thought it might be useful:

Add 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to 200ml whole milk, leave to stand for 5 mins. Voila, buttermilk!

I did not know that about buttermilk!

I just made a load of this with ours. Can't tell you if it's nice yet though!

ots Thu 10-Oct-13 12:02:22

Eves pudding. Layer sliced apples and sugar on the bottom of the dish. Make up a sponge mix and pour over the apples. Bake at 180 for 30-40 mins.

throckenholt Thu 10-Oct-13 12:20:33

similar to eves pudding - cook apple in some butter for 10 minutes in a frying pan, then put in a dish, put cake mixture on top and cook for about 1/2 an hour - yum smile Works well with pears as well.

Jaynebxl Thu 10-Oct-13 14:09:33

Fantastic, will give some of these a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now