Can we still drink this sloe gin?

(8 Posts)
PlasticLentilWeaver Sun 17-Mar-13 16:55:45

Hell, yes! I have some 7 year old vintage still, and soon to move onto a 3 year old!

It's gin. Drink it!

If you're dubious about it, I'll happily sacrifice myself and drink it for you. smile

Megatron Sun 17-Mar-13 15:58:51

Straining it right now it smells lush! Thanks all.smile

Pollykitten Sun 17-Mar-13 15:55:32

keeps for years! It sometimes benefits from being sieved through a muslin, but all that can happen is more of the sugar turns to alcohol, so potentially it gets (even) stronger! Chin chin

Of course, anything with that high an alcohol content will last for a very long time! Mine often stays around for a couple of years, the only issue is if the fruit is still in it can go cloudy, but that doesn't affect the taste or safety.

PipkinsPal Sun 17-Mar-13 15:52:59

Sloe gin tastes better as the time goes on. Last Christmas I was making a venison casserole but silly me didn't read the recipe to make sure I had all the ingredients. I needed red wine but didn't have any but I had a bottle of homemade sloe gin. I put some of that in it instead and it was delicious. OP, that reminds me I have a bottle of blueberry gin hiding in my wardrobe. Might give that a go tonight.

ClaraOswinOswald Sun 17-Mar-13 15:48:39

I have similar concerns with my blackberry brandy. How long do they keep?
I think they should be ok, alcohol is a preservative.

Megatron Sun 17-Mar-13 15:38:29

Made it about 5 months ago for Christmas and forgot all about it. Will it still be alright to drink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now