Can we still drink this sloe gin?

(8 Posts)
Megatron Sun 17-Mar-13 15:38:29

Made it about 5 months ago for Christmas and forgot all about it. Will it still be alright to drink?

ClaraOswinOswald Sun 17-Mar-13 15:48:39

I have similar concerns with my blackberry brandy. How long do they keep?
I think they should be ok, alcohol is a preservative.

PipkinsPal Sun 17-Mar-13 15:52:59

Sloe gin tastes better as the time goes on. Last Christmas I was making a venison casserole but silly me didn't read the recipe to make sure I had all the ingredients. I needed red wine but didn't have any but I had a bottle of homemade sloe gin. I put some of that in it instead and it was delicious. OP, that reminds me I have a bottle of blueberry gin hiding in my wardrobe. Might give that a go tonight.

AMumInScotland Sun 17-Mar-13 15:55:00

Of course, anything with that high an alcohol content will last for a very long time! Mine often stays around for a couple of years, the only issue is if the fruit is still in it can go cloudy, but that doesn't affect the taste or safety.

Pollykitten Sun 17-Mar-13 15:55:32

keeps for years! It sometimes benefits from being sieved through a muslin, but all that can happen is more of the sugar turns to alcohol, so potentially it gets (even) stronger! Chin chin

Megatron Sun 17-Mar-13 15:58:51

Straining it right now it smells lush! Thanks all.smile

MrsCosmopilite Sun 17-Mar-13 15:59:22

It's gin. Drink it!

If you're dubious about it, I'll happily sacrifice myself and drink it for you. smile

PlasticLentilWeaver Sun 17-Mar-13 16:55:45

Hell, yes! I have some 7 year old vintage still, and soon to move onto a 3 year old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now