Very Specific Recipe Request

(8 Posts)
SerenaJoy Tue 12-Mar-13 21:54:56

Ooh these look great, thanks Xiaoxiong! I'll definitely give them a try smile

Xiaoxiong Mon 25-Feb-13 15:05:54

Sorry it took me ages to get back here OP - the recipe I found is from a cookbook called the Sprouted Kitchen by Sara Forte which I was flipping through online the other day and I saw pearled barley cooked in coconut mik and cardamom, then topped with toasted coconut, pomegranate seeds and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.

But this looks very, very similar and maybe more breakfasty:
kitchentablefriends.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/creamy-coconut-barley-with-peaches-and.html
and, if coconut milk not your thing:
kitchentablefriends.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/three-recipe-ideas-for-barley.html

Both of them basically say combine with milk of choice (cow, almond, coconut, soy etc), bring to the boil and simmer on the hob for 20-25. I would think it would work to put it in cold into the slow cooker on low as late as possible the night before and it would be ready by morning...

SerenaJoy Fri 22-Feb-13 22:01:29

I think you do it in milk, so that it's a bit like porridge, but not sure how that would work in the slow cooker, as I know PB just sucks up moisture like so many little sponges! Will get googling.

LimeFlower Fri 22-Feb-13 21:08:06

I've never tried pearl barley for breakfast nor in the slow cooker.
I use cracked barley as the substitute for rice to serve with beef with gravy or to make a soup.

SerenaJoy Fri 22-Feb-13 20:04:29

Ooh thanks xiaoxiong smile

No-else much into pearl barley clearly!

Xiaoxiong Fri 22-Feb-13 18:07:37

I have a wholegrains cookbook with something that might work - will check after dinner for you.

SerenaJoy Fri 22-Feb-13 09:07:47

Hopeful bump?

SerenaJoy Fri 22-Feb-13 00:39:23

Namely - pearl barley breakfast recipes that I can bung in the slow cooker the night before.

I want to try pearl barley for breakfast, but DS I can't wait 45 minutes for his my breakfast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now