An alternative to yoghurt?

(6 Posts)
vvviola Sun 17-Feb-13 14:15:03

DD1 usually has a yoghurt after dinner. No real problem there except DD2 (18 months old and allergic to dairy, and refuses to eat soy-based food) has started noticing that DD1 is eating something and wanting a taste.

A few nights last week I gave them both little pots of jelly, which went down quite well, but I don't necessarily want to get into the habit of that either.

So, if you had to give something to DC after dinner, what would it be? With the provisos: dairy/egg free, not fruit (as they get plenty at other times of the day), doesn't have to be "dessert" as such, just something for after dinner.

lljkk Sun 17-Feb-13 17:20:52

DD2 will have to come to accept that she can't have the same things for years to come, I think.
Plain digestives? bag of crisps?

PolterGoose Sun 17-Feb-13 17:23:15

Ds has Alpro 'no bits' soya yoghurts (not for a dairy-free reason, he is a food refuser and dietician recommended changing some dairy for soya) they are lovely.

multitask Sun 17-Feb-13 17:28:33

Custard made with rice milk? You can always make rice pudding, semolina and cornflour based pudding with with all the alternatives to dairy. What about sorbets? You can make a really easy sorbet by whizzing up fruit and freezing, I know you said no fruit but if it's only because they won't eat fruit then sorbets will go down a treat.

PolterGoose Sun 17-Feb-13 18:00:00

Swedish Glacé dairy-free ice 'cream', the vanilla one is better than any dairy vanilla version.

Rice pudding made with coconut milk is divine.

vvviola Sun 17-Feb-13 20:46:04

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a fan of rice pudding myself, so it would never have occurred to me to make it. Shall give it a try.

I know she'll have to get used to having different things to her sister, but I kind of wanted to have some kind of equivalent to give her.

Sorbet is a good idea too - it's not that they won't eat fruit. They eat plenty during the day so I wanted something a bit different after dinner.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now