NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Ok- family vegetarian dishes- hit me with them!

(38 Posts)
spikemomma Sun 10-Feb-13 12:10:21

I'm so bored with our food- I want to find some yummy veg recipes that my family can eat. Can you help me?!

rockinhippy Wed 13-Feb-13 01:25:46

DDs favourite & goes down well with everyone & is very simple & quick

You need aprox...

Spaghetti, we use a mix of whole wheat & white - usual portion per person

Glassish of white white, per 4 servings, increase if for more people

Handful of mushrooms per person, cleaned & thinly sliced

Handful of spinach leaves per person.

3\4 pack of Gorgonzola cheese, aprox 200g(?)

Knob of butter,

Dollop of crime frais or cream

Salt & pepper

Teaspoon ish of tomato purée

A tea spoon ish of dark soy sauce

This isn't rocket science, just treat as you would a stew & throw together & taste/look as you go until its how you like it...

Cook & drain Spagetti - save a ladle full of the pasta water

In the same pan soften mushrooms in the butter

Add wine to mushrooms

Crumble Gorgonzola into the pan & stir until its melting

Add a little pasta water

Add cream

Add soy sauce - add half, taste & add more if you need it

Add Tomatoe purée & stir through until it thickens a bit

Taste & then Season as you see fit - adding more cheese if you think it needs it

You should now have a thin sauce

Add Spagetti back to the pan & stir through

Throw in the spinach,

The sauce should thicken with the pasta - if you don't have enough sauce to coat the Spagetti, add a bit more of the pasta water to thin it down & stir through again

Serve

rockinhippy Wed 13-Feb-13 01:38:48

Oh & Quesiladas - we had these today as pancake based - well at least mine are smile

Make pancakes, 2per adult, 1 per DC

Cook whatever fillings you like

We had sliced cooked mushrooms, finely sliced cooked onions, spinach & grated cheese in ours tonight - just pile up in the middle of one pancake leaving an inch around the edge - lay the other pancake on top & squash down - with the DC portions, just half fill & fold over.

Put on a tray & bake in a hot over for about 15 min, until the cheese melts & they crisp up - turn over half way if needed

Serve with salad, salsa, crime frais & if you like potato wedges

BornToFolk Wed 13-Feb-13 08:38:10

I make muttar paneer with about a tablespoon of mild curry paste. It's really not too spicy but if DS complains I give him a bit of plain yoghurt to stir in.

MERLYPUSS Wed 13-Feb-13 14:36:06

Huevos Rancheros
Fry all your nearly past it veg (and smoked sausage substitute is really good) with herbs, smoked paprika and some chilli. Add a tin of chopped toms or two and some pulses if you want. Baked beans go really well (sounds gross but go with it) or sweetcorn. Garlic and tom puree. Crack an egg per person, cover and poach the eggs in the tomato sauce until the white set but yolk still slightly runny. It's a really quick and cheap meal that uses up left overs.
You can use more or less anything in this and we often have grated cheese on top of the egg. My fave accompanyment is crusty bread.
What about broccoli pasta ?
cook pasta and broccoli in the same pan. Smush the broccoli up and mix in a tub of phildelphia. Again smoked sausage / fried mushrooms/ onions are yum

I make mattar paneer v spicy but it can be as hot or not as you like.

Puy lentil lasagne -

roast some chunks of shallots, courgettes, mushrooms and peppers

Meanwhile - finely chop a couple of carrots, a couple of celery sticks, an onion and a couple of garlic cloves.
Fry a bit.
Add a big (BIG!) sploosh of either red wine or port and a splash of balsamic vinegar plus lots of black pepper and some fresh herbs (eg rosemary and thyme as basil is too delicate).
Add puy lentils and passata and cook.
When all done, stir the roasted veggies into the puy and tomatoey sauce.
Use instead of meat layers.
It's really rich and 'meaty' tasting and you can tweak it as you want.

lolalotta Thu 14-Feb-13 06:19:14

OP, that Somerset stew recipe OldBean posted a link to from BBC Good Food is AMAZING!!!!! Please try it, and it freezes well too, the mash is divine and it's lively with a veggie sausage! grin

lolalotta Thu 14-Feb-13 06:19:34

LOVELY even!

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 14-Feb-13 10:22:26

Ooh, thanks for that, Remus - that really sounds lovely and I am going to try it at weekend.

bleedingheart Thu 14-Feb-13 13:30:44

Drladybird your recipe for lentil lasagne is gorgeous! I've just made it for lunch and am slightly blush to admit that I've burnt my mouth in impatience to eat it fresh out of the oven!

SilverSixpence Thu 14-Feb-13 19:39:56

Just made the menemen, looks delicious! Also try fasoliya gigantes (Greek butter beans in tomato sauce) - makes a nice meal with hummus and crusty bread.

Remus, I tried you lentil lasagne on Monday and DD and I both loved it.
I'll do double the sauce next time to freeze.
I had two portions of the dish left, but DD insisted on having it again the next night, she loved it so much.

So glad you liked it!

Another vote for Greek butter beans here. I invented a completely inauthentic recipe but it's brilliant with pitta, tsatziki and a big Greek salad. It tastes like summer!

MrsJamin Thu 21-Feb-13 20:32:02

Vegetarian chilli
Mushroom Risotto
Dal
- 3 and 5 year olds eat these happily. We eat vegetarian probably twice a week, hope to increase this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now