Ok- family vegetarian dishes- hit me with them!

(38 Posts)
spikemomma Sun 10-Feb-13 12:10:21

I'm so bored with our food- I want to find some yummy veg recipes that my family can eat. Can you help me?!

LoonyRationalist Sun 10-Feb-13 12:15:53

Our 2 current favourites

Cous Cous stuffed peppers
Fry Onion & add courgette, mushrooms (any other veg) When cooked add stock cube & cous cous. Mix through a pack of feta & then fill pepper halves and bake. I only use 2 peppers for dh & I and just give the DD's the cous cous mix as they won't eat peppers.

Houmous, pittas, veg tempura with 3 dipping sauces (soy, chilli & peanut butter)

Pan Sun 10-Feb-13 12:25:09

Under the "Food" tab at the top you'll find 'Recipes' galore to knock yourself out on. hth

Snorbs Sun 10-Feb-13 12:34:22

I've got a veggie casserole in the oven right now. Onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrot, turnip, cannelini beans and stock.

Other favourites are quorn tikka masala, pitta bread with falafel and tzatziki, chili con soya mince, puff pastry tart with mozzarella and roast vegetables, and homemade minestrone soup with homemade bread.

magimedi Argentina Sun 10-Feb-13 12:36:10

Equal quntities of cooked brown rice & cooked chickpeas (canned are fine). Mash the chickpeas a bit to break them up. To the chickpeas & rice add sauted onion & garlic & grated raw carrot and/or courgette & 1 egg to bind.

Grated cheese on top & bake for half an hour at 180C.

If you want you can tart it up with herbs & serve with a tomato sauce.

magimedi Argentina Sun 10-Feb-13 12:36:29

quantities obv

AllBellyandBoobs Sun 10-Feb-13 12:36:56

I make a lentil cottage pie with sweet potato mash which is lovely, there is A recipe on bbc good food website. Vegetable biriyani, dhal with chickpeas, puy lentil and veggie sausage casserole or grilled halloumi instead of the sausage?

Aethelfleda Sun 10-Feb-13 21:03:52

<hurls a dish of sweet potato, onion and lentil Dahl at the OP>

Pre-cook orange split lentils by boiling til soft and draining (you can do this in advance and freeze in portions).
fry one large peeled sweet potato that you've chopped into litle sticks until it gets soft. If you're a veggie, use ghee or butter. If vegan use veg oil.
Add two diced onions (one red one white) and fry until soft/starting to brown. Stir in a big spoon of curry paste and some garlic puree, stir for a minute and then stir in the lentils, add a glug of water or a dollop of plain yoghurt/single cream. Gently bubble and stir til its all well heated then leave with the heat off and the lid on for 10 minutes to absorb the spices into the lentils. Serve with mango chutney.

evertonmint Sun 10-Feb-13 21:08:04

We do a lovely egg dish www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1263668/turkish-onepan-eggs-and-peppers-menemen

Don't always put chilli in, often use jar of chargrilled peppers instead of fresh.

Lovely with the garlicky yoghurt, coriander, spinach salad and pitta bread.

Dhal - if you do a search with my name you'll find my recipe.

I make Shepherd's Pie with quorn mince in the slowcooker (the only way I can eat Quorn mince)

Veggie chilli - my Mother of all recipes is also posted on here somewhere!

Veggie curry - I do either a v basic chickpea, sweet potato and spinach one with a paste or I use a Jamie O recipe for when I want to make one from scratch.

Veggie sausage casserole using veggie hotdog sausages

Stir fry with rice or noodles

Soup

Drladybird Mon 11-Feb-13 10:26:12

I put all our veggie family favourites here:broccoliandricecakes.wordpress.com/
Particular favs at the moment include the moroccan style carrot and chickpea stew and Lentil Lasagne is always a hit.
I'd also search through some of the threads as there are some good suggestions dotted around mumsnet.

spikemomma Mon 11-Feb-13 20:29:14

Yummy, yummy, yummy! Thank you soooo much for sharing your recipes. I think you rock! I am defo going to check out some of those; they sound yum! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Xx

I make a puy lentil lasagne which tastes very rich and a bit 'special.' Happy to post if you want it.

MERLYPUSS Mon 11-Feb-13 20:47:03

Felafel in pittas
fajitas (with Quorn?)
Heuvos Rancheros
Thick veg soup and garlic bread.
Rice and bits with egg on top and curry sauce.
These are my main veggie ones without buying meat substitue i.e hot dogs and tofu

PoppadomPreach Mon 11-Feb-13 20:50:29
TheOneWithTheNameChange Mon 11-Feb-13 21:03:53

Hugh fw's chickpea and butternut squash stew is lovely. I serve it with paratha or peshwari naan.

Curried parsnip soup also good for light supper.

I made a leek and mushroom filo topped pie this week. It was very rich, but basically you fry mushrooms and leeks (add quorn if you want) and then made a roux to which I added milk, cream and the fresh thyme and a bay leaf. When both are cooked, mix together and

TheOneWithTheNameChange Mon 11-Feb-13 21:05:19

Oops!

Mix together and put in an oven dish, add a layer of filo to the top and cook for 30 mins.

I served with mash and green veg, though just green veg would have been plenty.

TheOneWithTheNameChange Mon 11-Feb-13 21:05:38

Not filo! Grr, I meant puff pastry!

spikemomma Tue 12-Feb-13 11:11:57

Oh my word theonewiththenamechange I am salivating! That sounds delicious!

Merylpuss what is heovus rancheros!? I am intrigued. You lot have really inspired me! Xx

OldBeanbagz Tue 12-Feb-13 11:34:46

Veggie chilli is a firm favourite in our house. Last night we had it with giant couscous.

Also
BBC Good Food's Somerset stew

Mushroom risotto or mushroom stroganoff & rice.

I bought Rose Elliot's 30 Minute Vegetarian last year and have cooked several things out of it.

BornToFolk Tue 12-Feb-13 11:46:54

Just marking my place as there are some very yummy-looking recipes here!

Last night, DS and I had the Moroccan Vegetable Tagine (MN recipes, have a search!) I love it, it's really easy to cook, freezes well and DS likes it as it's got raisins and apricots in so has a lovely sweet, spicy flavour.

Macaroni cheese is also a huge favourite

SilverSixpence Tue 12-Feb-13 12:05:52

Pea and paneer curry, very easy and quick, and ds aged 4 really enjoyed it in pitta pockets

Recipe here

Love mattar paneer. We have it with chapatis and a minty yoghurt dip, or as a side with another curry.

TheOneWithTheNameChange Tue 12-Feb-13 21:41:36

Is mattar paneer mild? My Ds is not find of very heavily spiced food. I think he'd like creamy curry. Have a madhur jaffrey book downstairs, but lots of complicated blending with spices, so I've chickened out of trying!

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 13-Feb-13 01:00:55

Remus - please could you post recipe or link to your puy lentil lasagne? It sounds delish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now