NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What tea would you like to come home to?

(39 Posts)
Jayne266 Wed 06-Feb-13 12:32:31

Looking through the freezer and don't know what to make tonight here are my options.
Chicken curry with spicy potatoes
Chicken lasagne and salad and tomato focaccia
Coronation chicken jacket potato with salad
Which sounds best? What are you having for tea (i can still go the shops if I change my mind) smile

Jayne266 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:17:40

Can I have the recipe wannabe sounds lovely.

Pipkins isn't it weird what you fancy and then you realise what your having and sometimes yourhmm. I make a lot of stuff from scratch but you can't knock the value items they have some good stuff. I always buy smart price biscuits or tinned tomatoes. Never got anything different.

Merly I haven't DH fish pie in years can't make it with prawns but that's another going in my notes.

MERLYPUSS Mon 11-Feb-13 16:45:39

I'd love to come home to fish pie with smoke fish, white fish and prawns in the sauce. Topped with cheesy mash and served with peas.
Or shepherds pie with cheese on the top and peas or broccoli.
O ranything I didn't have to cook and wash up for.

PipkinsPal Mon 11-Feb-13 16:19:09

My favourite is boiled ham, mashed potatoes, peas and lashings of parsley sauce. But in reality I am having liver and onions, mashed potato, tinned value sliced carrots and boil the kettle value gravy (palatable with a teaspoon of value mint sauce added)!!

WannabeWilloughby Mon 11-Feb-13 16:14:32

ooooh lasagne!!! these messages are making me hungry!!! I have done chicken, mushroom and white wine sauce in my slow cooker today, house smells lush!!! Having it with rice. yum smile

Jayne266 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:11:24

I have pm you duchess

DuchessFanny Mon 11-Feb-13 08:58:20

Oh we had spaghetti too ! but with bolognese, which we haven't had for ages, and the eldest (12) even asked for more, so felt like a good Mum wink

Am going to start planning, off to the supermarket later so will do a little think and a list .....

Jayne266 Mon 11-Feb-13 08:36:02

Yeah I try to I saw a thread about meal planning and thought it would save me money. But now I have realised it helps me get a variety with our dinners so DH never knows what he comes home to. And I like to cook but have a almost 7 month old DS who is weaning so am training my eating habits again for when he grows up.

So tonight it's spaghetti and monster meatballs with ciabatta garlic bread.

DuchessFanny Sun 10-Feb-13 09:29:19

My Mum's never been ( and we've been here 7 years )

She's not well, MH issues, drink issues, epileptic ...
My PIL on the other hand .. Lol !! It IS like. B&B sometimes as we both have big families, but I love it smile

And now I eat meat sort of relearning to cook, especially with the amount of guests we get - only time I meal plan , do you an every week ? I'm thinking it's the way to go !

Jayne266 Sat 09-Feb-13 20:22:15

How mean lol I bet it doesn't stop her treating it like a mini break when she visits.

I would love to live out of the uk am jealous.

Do you meal plan?

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 20:18:02

Yeah my Mother thought it was hilarious !! We're in Holland, so very similar Weather to East Anglia, where i grew up ... the Greek was luvverly !

Jayne266 Sat 09-Feb-13 18:09:16

What a shame one of the perks of being abroad is better weather I would have hoped. Your tea sounds better DH wants pizza now. Where about in the world are you if you don't mind me asking.

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 17:57:39

No i'm abroad, but happened to move from a flat wet area of UK, to a flat wet Country grin

We're having Greek now ( marinated chicken in pitta bread, salad, wedges)

mmmmmmmmmm

Jayne266 Sat 09-Feb-13 17:04:19

Lol if your in the uk that could be a while just do them in the oven and put them on a grill pan to get the lines.
I had a friend who used to put the coal in a baking tray under the rib to get the smell (not sure how it turned out).

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 15:07:10

I was 11 when I stopped eating meat, so it was sort of all I knew, had 3 pregnancies and thought I was ok ... But I am ( less now ) the carb queen, iron levels low and knackered all the time - feel SO much better now smile
A friend said for a BBQ I should boil the ribs first, then marinate over night, then bung 'em on .... Just need better weather !!!!

Jayne266 Sat 09-Feb-13 13:17:07

I was one for 3 years but found I was eating a lot of carbs and cheese and ended up gaining weight! And I think bacon butties converted me back but am still a bit off with big joints of meat.

So is that a dish you want to make then duchess? Ribs (BBQ?)

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 10:35:42

I ate out with friends and was the first time i'd ever had them ( was a pescatarian for 26 years !) they were lovely !!!

Jayne266 Sat 09-Feb-13 10:17:27

My husband won't eat much veg it's a pain in the arse so I love hidden dishes. So I can get some roasted veg I the rice and refried beans in him tonight. I love ribs but don't get to the butchers that often.

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 08:51:07

I think i may need to move in with you, i've liked what you've cooked from the off grin

Last night was ribs ... tonight, not a clue ... DH is in Paris (lucky sod ) so something quick for me and the boys ... thinking enchiladas now though !

Jayne266 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:29:14

No I think I get what you mean my mum used to do a gravy type one which had oyster sauce in it and mushrooms and served it with rice ( I think she mixed the ideas of a traditional stew and a Chinese dish she had tried)

Tonight's tea is Mexican inspired and having chimichangas with the dips

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 08:02:33

I do sausage casserole with tomato base, but my husband did a sausage with gravy, onions and rice the other night ( sounds weird i know !) and it was gorge !

rollmopses Fri 08-Feb-13 22:08:49

Earl Grey with scones and cucumber sandwiches.

Jayne266 Fri 08-Feb-13 15:16:10

I ended up making him the chicken lasagne it's his new fav dish I was never a big fan of mince in it so I made a chicken one (made out of cut up chicken breast) and I am converted.

I have never made sausage casserole but seem to have the ingredients all the time is a good one a tomato taste ? or a gravy taste ? if that makes sense.smile

milk Thu 07-Feb-13 15:34:15

Home made fruit bread with lashings of butter grin

twinklesparkles Thu 07-Feb-13 15:32:48

Ill have curry and potatoes if you're cooking ;)

We are having sausage casserole, dumplings and crusty bread and butter. Have used my slowcooker for the casserole today.

DuchessFanny Thu 07-Feb-13 11:10:32

ah Jayne ended up after feeding the boys chicken noodle soup having - eggs on toast ! ... whistfully thought of lasagne, which is now a must this week end !!

Am defo going to get a slow cooker !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now