NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Making bircher (muesli) for the first time - any tips?

(5 Posts)
fatsatsuma Thu 31-Jan-13 19:33:24

I didn't know until recently that it was called bircher. It's like a wet muesli that I've sometimes been lucky enough to find on hotel breakfast buffets. It's lighter than porridge but creamier and IMO much nicer than museli, which I find dry and heavy.

Anyway, I've googled for a recipe and found a few which all look fairly similiar. Just wondering if anyone else makes it? I've got oats, apples, pouring yoghurt, orange juice, and am planning to put some raisins/sultanas in - any other recommendations?

blue2 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:38:58

I use this recipe - or a variation. I also use oatly milk as I'm dairy intolerant.

www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I make it up in kilner jars and stick it in the fridge the night before. DS - aged 14 - loves it, too.

wrenster Fri 01-Feb-13 13:28:09

Wow, thanks blue2, this looks delicious! Where do you get Chia seeds from?

blue2 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:40:32

I usually use ground flax seed from Sainsburys, but I think you can get chia seeds from Holland and Barrett or another health food shop.

The mixture really sets me up for the day!

wrenster Sat 02-Feb-13 17:16:08

Great, thanks. Do you eat a whole pot? Quantity wise I'm not quite sure how many servings a jar would be?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now