Making bircher (muesli) for the first time - any tips?

(5 Posts)
fatsatsuma Thu 31-Jan-13 19:33:24

I didn't know until recently that it was called bircher. It's like a wet muesli that I've sometimes been lucky enough to find on hotel breakfast buffets. It's lighter than porridge but creamier and IMO much nicer than museli, which I find dry and heavy.

Anyway, I've googled for a recipe and found a few which all look fairly similiar. Just wondering if anyone else makes it? I've got oats, apples, pouring yoghurt, orange juice, and am planning to put some raisins/sultanas in - any other recommendations?

blue2 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:38:58

I use this recipe - or a variation. I also use oatly milk as I'm dairy intolerant.

www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I make it up in kilner jars and stick it in the fridge the night before. DS - aged 14 - loves it, too.

wrenster Fri 01-Feb-13 13:28:09

Wow, thanks blue2, this looks delicious! Where do you get Chia seeds from?

blue2 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:40:32

I usually use ground flax seed from Sainsburys, but I think you can get chia seeds from Holland and Barrett or another health food shop.

The mixture really sets me up for the day!

wrenster Sat 02-Feb-13 17:16:08

Great, thanks. Do you eat a whole pot? Quantity wise I'm not quite sure how many servings a jar would be?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now