NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Oh dear - bought bramleys instead of eating apples for a strudel - can I use them, or what else can I do with my filo?

(17 Posts)

Ooh I was really looking forward to attempting my first ever strudel - it'll be too sharp with bramleys won't it?

Filo needs to be eaten today. What else could I do with it?

MUST READ RECIPES IN FUTURE.

Startail Mon 21-Jan-13 16:22:31

Just add more sugar and a big handful of sultanas. Strudel is cooked, they are cooking apples, It will be fine.

Trazzletoes Mon 21-Jan-13 16:22:55

Aren't Bramleys cooking apples? Aren't strudels cooked? <confused>

Just shove a load of sugar in.

Trazzletoes Mon 21-Jan-13 16:23:24

X-post!

Ooh more sugar do you think? Don't have sultanas. Might give it a whirl!

MrsHoarder Mon 21-Jan-13 16:24:49

More sugar, it'll be fine.

This may be my general philosophy in life

bran Mon 21-Jan-13 16:25:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I was worried because the recipe said eating apples but NOW I'm worried about that!

Bramleys are cooking apples? Really??
I love eating them blush <<learns something new today>>

Yy to more sugar to strudel - it'll be fine. And cinnamon. Yum!

CuriousMama Mon 21-Jan-13 16:30:15

Yes Bramleys are cooking apples.

CuriousMama Mon 21-Jan-13 16:31:13

Thanks all - will report back!

Pacific I can't believe you eat them! Do they not give you tummy ache like my mum said they would? grin

No, they don't blush
I am not sure whether I am just a greedy pig with a constitution of steel or whether they will give me a sore stomach now that I know that they are supposed to... confused.

Hope your strudel turns out delicious!

Ellabaetsch Mon 21-Jan-13 17:39:17

They are actually the perfect apples for strudels. I make my traditional Austrian Apfelstrudel with sweet breadcrumbs (fry breadcrumbs with 2 tbsp of sugar and butter until golden brow) and spice apples with cinnamon.
I've also got some other nice recipes on my blog using bramley apples www.toysinmykitchen.com

Ooh nice blog, will have a peruse!

It's in the oven!

Trazzletoes Mon 21-Jan-13 20:48:03

DH eats them too and doesn't get tummy ache.

Let us know how it tastes!

I am eating it! It's not bad!

It was sitting in a puddle of apple juice when it came out - is that normal? No soggy bottom though, surprisingly. I do think it needs sultanas though.

Thanks everyone! Now to convince DH to help me eat it (he doesn't do hot fruit confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now