Hairy Dieters cook book

(45 Posts)
Jiddle Wed 16-Jan-13 09:33:48

Does anyone have it? Any good?

riverboat Sat 01-Jun-13 21:32:40

I love this book. The chicken jalfreizi, spanish paprika chicken, cajun chicken, shepherds pie, thai curry, chicken and mushroom risotto are all staples for me.

Only thing I have been disappointed with so far was the lamb, spinach and potato curry. It had loads of ingredients and took me a while to prepare and cook, but came out tasting really quite bland and watery...

lemonbiscuit Thu 30-May-13 19:10:41

Made the chicken paprika yesterday, (following the instructions to the letter for once!) and it was fantastic, really tasty. Made the lamb, potato and spinach curry last week and found it a bit watery. Next time would use stock or more tinned tomatoes instead.

LadybirdsAreFab Tue 12-Feb-13 06:39:16

I love it, I struggle with lunch ideas but the fruity rice goes down a treat with the added bonus of no sweet cravings as I have had a sweet lunch. I am going to try adding a bit of chicken next time. I do double the amount of spices as I found it a little bland the first time but DH loved it.

We also find the portions on some of them quite small. It has upped the amount of veg we are eating though which cannot be a bad thing.

singaporeswing England Tue 12-Feb-13 06:32:47

Really want to buy this - just wondering how many recipes require an oven? We just have a hob here, so want to make sure I get my money's worth!

Mynewmoniker Sun 10-Feb-13 11:50:40

Just put their hot pot in th'oven smile. It already smells delish! I didn't have onions so I substututed leeks and I only had the equivalent of two carrots and two potatos. We'll see how it turns out after 1 and 3/4hrs in th'oven.

dreamingofsun Wed 06-Feb-13 13:30:34

husband loved the salmon - said it was nicest salmon he'd ever eaten. i liked it too - in part because it was very easy

marquesas Wed 06-Feb-13 12:39:24

gingerandcocoa - I've now tried the risotto and I found it really bland and wouldn't make it again. The only thing I did differently was that I had to miss out the dried mushrooms as I thought I had them and didn't, I wonder if that was the difference. Also, I know I said it above but 150g of rice for 4 people is starvation rations grin

nipersvest Mon 04-Feb-13 22:43:57

dh has bought this book as he seems to have suddenly decided he needs to loose weight. he does indeed, a fact i have been flinging at him for years and he's ignored! dh also never ever cooks, yesterday he made granola!

grin, I would Moniker but am finding all the leftovers are just the thing for my packed lunches!

On the menu this week is the salmon again (lime this time, left plain for the DCs) and the chilli wraps.

Has anyone tried the tortellini "pasta"?

Mynewmoniker Sun 03-Feb-13 16:50:58

If they don't like it WKWTTG send it over here! grin

Gingerandcocoa Sun 03-Feb-13 15:18:00

I made the chicken and mushroom risotto and it was DELICIOUS!

We had the chicken breasts in parmesan breadcrumbs last night, I really liked it, no one else did. So far I have liked everything I have cooked except the Korma (everyone else on the thread seems to have liked that!) but the DCs haven't liked any of it sad.

Shallishanti Sun 03-Feb-13 13:59:23

I've got it and like it but I wish it wasn't so meaty/fishy...have replaced the meat with soya mince, but not really a fan of that either, so I end up trying to figure out how many cans of chickpeas is equal to x g of lean lamb!
If anyone knows of a ws with good calorie counted vegetarian main dishes would be v grateful

LadyHel Sun 03-Feb-13 10:26:33

I agree that the lasagne is a faff! It was delicious, but not delicious enough for me to spend all that time making it again....

I also agree that the portions are small so next time I will probably reduce the amount of oil so that I can increase the number of vegetables to make it more filling.

So far my favourite recipe is the lemon tuna & spaghetti (although I used salmon as I couldn't get fresh tuna) which I've cooked twice and absolutely love. I've also made the Spanish chicken, Paprika chicken, Beef & Ale stew, Chilli con Carne. All yummy and not too much of a faff, which frankly is almost important as taste these days!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 31-Jan-13 22:04:15

After reading this I think I need to get my copy back out. Particularly love the bacon and eggs and chicken korma.

Most of the dishes are in My Fitness Pal. I did minestrone tonight but stuck to my normal recipe instead of theirs.

The ginger and chilli salmon was lovely, I used lemon instead of orange as I don't like orange with meat and fish, might try lime next time.

mynewmonikeryes it was. sorry, only just come back. Thinking of buying the book too now! I'm doing myfitness pal, but thought it might expand my dinner selection.

YouCanCallMeBetty Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:11

Love it. Masala marinated chicken was great, and the chicken jalfrezi was so delicious - DH said it was the best curry I've ever made, diet or not.

Mynewmoniker Thu 31-Jan-13 18:52:27

Cottage Pie was lush. "Serves 6 to 8" It served us 6.

It was another mince and chopped tomatos triumph. smile

Might do half then, the DCs don't eat huge portions.

smugmumofboys Sun 27-Jan-13 22:48:53

I actually found the minestrone portions huge. I think it's meant to serve six and they are healthy sized 'sixths'.

I've got the minestrone and the ginger chilli salmon on the menu plan for this week, though I think the DCs might object to the amount of greenery in the soup, might have to tailor it a bit.

The portions are small, I'm finding they are quite filling, but I get the munches again later in the evening (normally eat about 5.30 with the DCs). I'm doing My Fitness Pal so monitoring everything quite closely and making sure I leave a couple of hundred calories for a snack later if I need it.

smugmumofboys Sun 27-Jan-13 21:57:25

I've made the minestrone which was lovely and very filling and only 98 calories a bowl. The salmon with chilli and ginger was very tasty too. I made the chicken korma with Quorn fillets as I don't eat meat and I quite liked it. The lasagne (made with Quorn mince) was a faff but tasty.

It's been a success all round.

marquesas Sun 27-Jan-13 21:53:32

I've only had the book a few days and I've done the spinach and pototo curry which I enjoyed. I'm going to try the sauasge cassoulet next.

I actually think the portions are quite small and that's as much how they lost weight. I'm really surprised that someone above found them big, just looking through the book the amounts seem very small for the main courses.

I think the lack of coconut might be one of the reasons we didn't like the Korma, also it tasted all dry and grainy compared to the way we usually make it (lots of ground almonds and coconut milk). However I had some leftover and mixed it with some other leftover curry from the freezer the next night (a tomato based one) and it was fine like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now