NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Do you have a favourite seasonal/365 recipe book?

(22 Posts)
XBenedict Mon 14-Jan-13 18:21:19

Lacking inspiration, like to buy seasonally from local farm shop and also expanded our veg patch so hoping to grow quite a bit of our own this year. any recommendations?

HeyMicky Mon 14-Jan-13 18:25:36

HFW's Veg Everyday. Not seasonal exactly, but loads of ideas in there. We use it weekly

XBenedict Mon 14-Jan-13 20:49:36

Thanks HeyMicky I will have a look at that.

Summersbee Tue 15-Jan-13 22:21:52

I was given 'The Cookery Year' (published by the Reader's digest Association) by a uni friend for my 21st birthday years ago and it's still a book I turn to for so many things. It is divided into months of the year with suggestions for menus for each month and things in season. I've no idea if it's still available ..
And for a seasonal recipe for anybody who likes French - it's a video which teaches the recipe in French and English - it's a bit late, but here is a Three Kings' Day cake:
http://www.agreenmouse.com/galette-des-rois-pour-le-6-janvier-recipe-for-a-three-kings-day-cake/

magimedi88 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:07:30

The Cookery Year is my oldest cookbook - must have had it for about 35 years & I still use it.

I'm pretty sure it is still available & I've often seen it in charity shops.

I love Nigel Slaters kitchen diary and tender. seasonal, delicious food, well written beautiful books.
I also had tom kitchens one which was very nice but I didn't actually make many of the recipes as they are fiddly.

oh and I also have new covent gardens soup recipe book, sounds odd I know, but.they divide the recipes into seasons and have some beautiful soups. I don't know if its still in print, but its worth buying if you like soupsmile

XBenedict Fri 18-Jan-13 17:37:25

I have been thinking about getting the Kitchen Diaries.

allo2101 Sat 19-Jan-13 10:17:16

The Covent Garden book is still in print - I bought it last week to go with my fab new Cuisinart soup maker. Have been trying all sorts of weird and wonderful things smile
www.amazon.co.uk/Soup-Every-Day-Favourite-Recipes/dp/0752227432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358590596&sr=8-1

XBenedict Sat 19-Jan-13 16:57:47

I'm not sure I'm that much into soup......but I guess it could convert me! smile

AmelieRose Sat 19-Jan-13 17:00:37

I love The Kitchen Diaries. It's got so much content I read it in bed like a proper book! Recipes are fab, seasonal and straightforward.

XBenedict Sat 19-Jan-13 17:06:54

Do I get volume 1 or 2?

AmelieRose Sat 19-Jan-13 17:20:46

Get vol 1 first (then you'll probably want to get vol 2!)

I prefer vol 1, but both are lovely. His style of writing is very inviting, and the recipes are simple and delicious ( theres a pumpkin laksa that I wait all year to have in October)

I'm not a soup fan either, but my family love the stuff, and using the Covent garden book has introduced me to an array of very tasty soups.

I prefer vol 1, but both are lovely. His style of writing is very inviting, and the recipes are simple and delicious ( theres a pumpkin laksa that I wait all year to have in October)

I'm not a soup fan either, but my family love the stuff, and using the Covent garden book has introduced me to an array of very tasty soups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now