NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

If you did a turkey this year, and it came out super moist, please share your secret. Mine was shit :(

(53 Posts)
Jacksmania Wed 26-Dec-12 18:59:32

I have been cursed by The Dry Turkey. Third time in a row. Yuck sad
So disappointing.

Please share any and all recipes for a super amazing moist turkey so my family doesn't suffer like this again.

XBenedict Fri 28-Dec-12 13:01:46

Mine was really nice year - I surprised myself! Jamie's cranberry butter under the skin and clementines in the cavity, baste with a little white wine - yum!

Good god that looks like an instrument for sterilizing medical equipment!

I don't think I've bought enough oil in the 20 years I've been supermarket shopping to fill it....

WhenAChildIsBawnTigga Thu 27-Dec-12 20:35:32

Binfullofgibletsonthe26th here is a picture of an American fryer used for turkeys They don't take long.

Brine them or get one boned and rolled and cook with some kind of liquid under the trivet.

HTHTiggaxx

ihearsounds Thu 27-Dec-12 17:29:17

Only thing I do is, put a bit of water in the bottom of the tray, chuck in some herbs and a few veg - carrot, celery, onion, parnsip and garlic.. Make sure it is properly covered in loads of tinfoil and cook on 180. I check after about one hour and 15 mins, and then check every 15 minutes after that. When nearly cooked (juices are white not clear) I whip off the foil, cover in honey, whack up the heat so it quickly browns off.. Take out of the oven, cover in foil and rest.
Basically I cook it the same way I do a chicken lol.
Resting time depends on the size of the bird. After about 15 minutes, you can take it out the tray, wrap in foil and will keep warm.
It's never let me down that way. Been doing it for 15 years, ever since a chef showed me how to do it properly instead of cooking the life out of it overnight as been taught by family.

AmberLeaf Thu 27-Dec-12 17:27:46

Crown is the breast.

Jacksmania Thu 27-Dec-12 17:17:06

So brining appears to be the way to go.

Still don't know which part of the turkey the crown is.

Arisbottle Thu 27-Dec-12 17:11:28

We brined ours, was delicious

ViperInTheManger Thu 27-Dec-12 17:05:49

I cooked a turkey crown for the first time this year and was concerned it would be dry as the breast is often the dryest but it was lovely.

I put stuffing in the neck end, smeared it with about half a block of softened butter then lay streaky bacon over that, roasted it for recommended time, foil came off for last half hour, then covered and rested before carving.

I did a cheap (€9.99) turkey crown from Lidl, and it came out better than the posh free range bird I got a few years back from the farm at the end of our road! I just stuffed some butter under the breast skin, and roasted it at 180 for a couple of hours, with loads of basting. It was (and still is, there's loads left) really moist and full of flavour. Not entirely sure how that happened!

Jacksmania Thu 27-Dec-12 17:00:39

So if you let a turkey rest for an hour, does it not get cold then? Who wants to eat cold turkey?
And do you let it rest breast up or down?

And which part is the turkey crown?

Bonkerz Wed 26-Dec-12 21:35:03

Turkey crown here. Covered in butter and bacon and put in pan with pint of veg stock (knorr stock pot). Basted every half hour. Cooked low heat from 6-10. Rested for 1 hour then sliced (fell off bone) and left in veg stock covered in foil and towel to keep warm x xdelicious

beingginger Wed 26-Dec-12 21:16:48

I cooked mine in champagne and chicken stock. Plus an orange carrot celery and an onion. It was amazing really moist and juicy. No fat or butter needed. Will definitely cook the same way next year.

anniebunny Wed 26-Dec-12 21:14:40

Cheap Tesco frozen turkey, Nigella brined for a day and a half and roasted until it reached 74 C on my Thermapen probe thermometer (so hot enough that I'm happy no one will get food poisoning from a cheap turkey that's been out of the freezer nearly three days but not so hot that it's overcooked). Twas lovely yesterday and still lovely today. Try it!

QueenofPlaids Wed 26-Dec-12 21:13:21

I bought a free range bronze turkey Tom our local butcher. We are both reasonably good cooks, but I can't deny it made a difference. Wasn't cheap though - about £70 for 6kg turkey, streaky bacon, chipolatas and sausage meat stuffing.

I don't subscribe to the breast down idea (unless it's a humongous bird), so we just covered it in streaky and basted regularity. A thermometer's great though - ours was ready 45mins early. It would have been dry if we'd left it in for the time calculated using the traditional method.

Oven also needs consideration. We have a very good fan assisted oven. When I was a student (and tbh when I bought my house) I had a cheap non-assisted oven. Much more basting / turning over and checking needed if you're oven's not so good IME.

Finally I cook it a little cooler than chicken - say 170 - 180 vs 190.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 26-Dec-12 21:12:37

didn't have turkey this year
but when i have done, it has been a £££ organic free range bird. I don't normally buy into all that organic business, but do think it makes a difference with poultry
lots and lots and lots of butter all over the skin, then a layer of bacon
and a sausagemeat stuffing between the skin and the breast

Jacksmania Wed 26-Dec-12 21:09:28

Holy cow, so many replies! Thanks all, will have a read as soon as I can thanks

No brining here but nice and juicy - lots of butter, bacon on the breast, and a bit of cider poured into the tin. Stuffing under the breast, onion, garlic and lemon in the cavity, bit of garlic and bacon and rosemary stuffed into slits in the leg meat (like you do with lamb). Yummy.

coocooItsSoddingXmasAlready Wed 26-Dec-12 20:57:40

Free range bronze from farm down the road, roasted on the breast for the right amount of time.

Can't stand the taste of a brined turkey - eeuuchhh

slhilly Wed 26-Dec-12 20:49:56

I tried the butter muslin trick but to no avail. Back to goose next year, to maybe rib of beef

I can't imagine all sitting round a chicken on the 25th and trying together excited by it! grin

Arithmeticulous Wed 26-Dec-12 20:46:31

Buy a chicken wink

Loshad Wed 26-Dec-12 20:44:05

Bought a giant local turkey c10.6 kg this year. Smeared about 3 oz of butter on breast, added a couple of slices of bacon, wrapped in foil until last hour of cooking when i basted it a couple of times, was fab and not at all dry. TBh think it is down to the quality of the bird, cheap ones can be yucky

lubeybooby Wed 26-Dec-12 20:42:06

I do a bit of everything

Brine it

shove loads of butter under the skin

put a lemon and an onion inside the cavity

cook upside down (on the breast)

make the foil around it really secure and leave it the feck alone til the last 30 mins.

Floralnomad Wed 26-Dec-12 20:40:04

We had 2 of the M &S turkey breasts ( very large ,one fed 9 of us easily) and they were really lovely .

I bought a £96 one which has enough meat on it for 13 people for 2 days plus enough for dd and I another ten days so I think that's cheap. I only buy free range meat though.

I squeeze half a pound of butter under the skin, cook it upside down, then brown the breast skin for the last half hour by turning it back up. The key then is to take it out an hour before needed and cover it lightly in tinfoil so it stays very moist. Mine was amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now