Replacing flour with gluten free flour in vic sponge?

(6 Posts)
TeacupTempest Wed 12-Dec-12 20:24:41

Possible? What do I need to know?

hattivatti Thu 13-Dec-12 16:47:22

Yes, it has worked when I've tried. However, the taste of gluten-free flour may not be as good. It helps a bit if you add some more fat (like butter or double cream) and if you use some vanilla extract (quite liberally!) to flavour the sponge. Depending on which gluten-free flour mix you're using and what the original recipe measurements are, you may need to increase the amount of gluten-free flour by 5-10%.

There are gluten-free vic sponge recipes online, so the easiest thing would be to try one of those as they are more likely to work.

Pootles2010 Thu 13-Dec-12 16:52:00

Yes it can work, just be aware that baking with gluten free is totally different, you do things in a different order. Agree with hatti - get a special recipe from online.

medjool Sun 16-Dec-12 21:17:37

I don't agree that you'd increase the amount of flour - you'd add a little xanthan gum (not quite half teaspoon for 8oz flour) and 1tbsp liquid per oz/25g flour. I make gluten free cake using a Victoria sponge recipe all the time.

Doves Farm gluten free flour is blended to work as well as wheat flour in a recipe so you can follow the recipe exactly (plus the extra liquid and small amount of xanthan so it doesn't crumble). Use butter and vanilla/lemon/orange extract for flavour as the flour does taste different.

You can even throw it all into a mixer as an all in one and it will turn out well.

Just be prepared to have a few tries before you perfect the texture.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 21-Dec-12 12:46:12

I have been baking GF for over 5 years now. Dove's farm flour works fine, best to add an extra tsp or two of liquid though - in a Victoria sponge I would add an extra tsp of vanilla essence, in a Madeira cake I add either a tsp or two of freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice, and add the zest to the mixture. Either makes a lovely GF citrus Madeira.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 21-Dec-12 12:46:42

I don't even find I need to use the Xanthan tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now