NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Egg and fish free starter for the big day.

(14 Posts)
cairnterrier Fri 07-Dec-12 12:02:43

GreeenFingers not sure my 3 year old is quite ready for grapefruit with creme de menthe Or me either for that matter!

grin

GreeenFingers Fri 07-Dec-12 09:45:44

Do you really need a a starter?? I mean the main course alone is foing to be a belly buster. If you do chooose one how about something really light such a melon with parma ham, or even good old fashioned grapefriut with creme de menthe?

I'm obviously a food philistine, I always serve them with ketchupsmile Homous seems chickpea overkill to me.
Sweet chilli sauce is nice with falafel actually.

SantaWearsBlueSuedeStilettos Thu 06-Dec-12 19:35:51

I would serve falafels with some houmous or yoghurt and mint to dip- I find them very dry most of the time. Yummy though!

cairnterrier Thu 06-Dec-12 14:51:18

Sorry, just assumed that everyone else knew that mushrooms are the work of the devil and not to be tolerated in any shape grin. Actually, truly thank you to everyone who took the time to post.

So, the overriding option seems to be cheese and onions in some form. Getting the old brain working now.

Thank you all so much.

Thank you inmysparetime, I always struggle to think of lunch ideas but felafels would be a great idea to make!

French onion tart/caramelised onion tart
Or if you're feeling lazy, Tesco Indian party snacks.

SantaWearsBlueSuedeStilettos Thu 06-Dec-12 06:59:07

Goats cheese on a crostini with caramilised onions or similar and salad?

Yummm

Asparagus wrapped in parma ham with a rocket and parmesan salad.

Falafel (basically Homous balls) plenty of recipes online

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 06:47:11

Watching with interest as I have the same question......

IceNoSlice Thu 06-Dec-12 03:51:11

Tomato, mozzarella and avocado salad?
Stuffed mushrooms/tomatoes/pepper?
Garlic butter mushrooms?
Bruschetta?

sashh Thu 06-Dec-12 03:39:33

Chicken liver pate?

Tub of chicken livers, butter - lots (1/2 a packet), onion, brandy if you want.

Fry the livers in butter with the onions, once cooked blend, put in a pot and leave to set.

Melon, with or without ham

filo pastry parcels with mushrooms and cream cheese.

TheSilverPussycat Thu 06-Dec-12 00:10:49

Nice ripe avocado done in fans, with some naice ham and a vinaigrette?

cairnterrier Wed 05-Dec-12 14:17:28

Title says it all really. DS1 (3) is allergic to fish and eggs and I'm struggling to think of a starter. Usually all the magazines etc suggest smoked salmon/prawn cocktail etc which are no-goes. Oh and he doesn't like soup either!

Any suggestions welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now