Veggie Christmas dinner?

(8 Posts)
Drladybird Thu 29-Nov-12 20:09:28

Probably although to be honest, I can't remember how we made it last year! I reckon that would be the best. Cashews are relatively soft as nuts go.

Clawdy Tue 27-Nov-12 19:24:48

That does sound nice,thanks. Do you chop the cashews in very small pieces?

Drladybird Tue 27-Nov-12 08:37:29

We'll probably be having this nut roast I've made it before and it is really yummy. It doesn't need a food processor to blitz the nuts either.

Clawdy Mon 26-Nov-12 22:16:52

I hadn't thought of that,Melpomene,thanks.Will ask around!

Melpomene Mon 26-Nov-12 19:37:54

For most recipes the nuts would need to be ground - you can have a few larger pieces in there, but if it was just crushed it would be too gritty.

Could you grind the nuts in advance using a friend's food processor (eg if you are visiting a friend who has one)? Ground nuts will keep for a few weeks in an airtight jar.

Clawdy Mon 26-Nov-12 19:19:52

Thanks,suzanned. Will do some googling tonight! Chestnut roast sounds nice.

suzannened Mon 26-Nov-12 17:04:29

Have you tried looking at chestnut roast recipes? They aren't usually ground up. As the only veggie in our house I try & have something different every year - a real favourite was Melty mushroom wellington from BBCGoodFood.com (though check they like Stilton). Recipe made 4 so I made in advance (bonus at Christmas) & froze

Clawdy Mon 26-Nov-12 12:44:23

Two of the family arriving for Christmas dinner are vegetarians. In the past I've done loads of veg and something like shop-bought veggie sausages,in addition to the usual meat roast. Thought this year might try to make them a nut-roast,but after googling recipes,they seem to involve "blitzing" the nuts and things in a food-processor,and I don't have one. Is there a recipe that just involves crushing the nuts?or would that be gritty and unpleasant? or something else that's tasty? Ideally,could do with making it a couple of days before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now