One vegetarian at Christmas lunch

(40 Posts)
DecafSkinnySausage Tue 20-Nov-12 11:03:57

I have 9 already who will get the usual turkey and trimmings etc. A vegetarian friend is also going to come and I need ideas for a turkey substitute she can have with the veggies, cranberry sauce etc. (Stuffing and gravy will all have meat so needs to be stand-alone otherwise.)

To make things slightly more complicated she is on-call for a hospital so there is a chance she won't even be there to eat it! So nothing too fancy and preferably something I can freeze ahead as I am also working solidly for the 72 hrs prior to Christmas day.

I am thinking some sort of tartlet/mini quiche but I am stuck for flavours that will go with the rest of the Christmassy menu - everything I see seems to be tomato/asparagus/more Mediterranean.

Wilding Fri 23-Nov-12 18:23:52

I'm vegetarian and veggies are usually fine for me - I would definitely do vegetarian gravy though, roast potatoes are a sad thing without it. Couldn't you also just do a couple of balls of stuffing without the sausage meat in? Cauliflower cheese sounds like a great compromise - as people have said above, Quorn doesn't agree with everyone.

Thanks dumbelina will have a look...

coldcupoftea Fri 23-Nov-12 16:42:56

The M and S nut roast is awesome. I would just get that, if she doesn't come you can all just have a bit, it's yum!

blouseenthusiast Fri 23-Nov-12 16:21:55

Don't do quorn, is the devil's food.

dumbelina Fri 23-Nov-12 16:17:36

Horatia - my Dad makes trifle for me using Quick-jel which is vegetarian and incredibly easy to use. Can't help with gluten free sponge though.

peeriebear Fri 23-Nov-12 16:09:43

Quorn is a bit Marmite for veggies- The meat texture is often too much. And around 4.5% of the population is allergic to it too- if I eat it I get dreadful stomach ache for the rest of the day.

Hurrah, Taffeta!

To be honest, mine (DM) is so used to being offered things she can't have that I think it was a revelation. My challenge this year is to make vegetarian g-free trifle with jelly and sponge in it...

Taffeta Fri 23-Nov-12 14:47:21

Cauli cheese a fab idea. I have a veggie gluten-free relly coming Christmas Day and it sounds perfect.

thanks for the thread and ideas! [SMILE]

ethelb Thu 22-Nov-12 11:00:32

My sister often got a veggie pie (think higgledy pies) to have with the veg and gravy. Then insisted it was fine to have meat gravy hmm

Chippychop Wed 21-Nov-12 23:11:29

Well thanks [heath] that's helped me out!

OccultGnu Wed 21-Nov-12 15:30:20

AngryFeet - thank you, I will plan a "something special for me" on Christmas Day rather than me knocking myself out cooking stuff for the meat eaters and pouting in a corner with a pile of sprouts.

AngryFeet Wed 21-Nov-12 09:56:49

Sorry! Yes I cook the stuffing in balls for about 25 mins.

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 09:53:02

I make cornbread stuffing. I bake a little loaf of it then cut it into large chunks. You soak it in a vegetable or chicken stock then stir it into ordinary sage and onion stuffing. Add chopped pecans, chopped cranberries, season and bake.

HeathRobinson Wed 21-Nov-12 09:52:30

Master - thanks. I never knew that. confused I suppose sausagemeat is the same sort of texture.

That red Bisto thing BLEW MY MIND yesterday.

Red Oxo has actual beef in it.

HeathRobinson Wed 21-Nov-12 08:56:15

Chippy - Red Bisto

Just scroll along to Bisto Favourite Granules. And on the tub itself, it says it's suitable for vegetarians.

Chippychop Wed 21-Nov-12 07:32:29

Re- red Bisto ... Do you mean gravy granules are vegetarian ?

Devora Tue 20-Nov-12 23:24:56

Vegetarian haggis was one of my favourites.

Chippychop Tue 20-Nov-12 23:15:57

Marking place! I'm a veggie and I don't normally do much over and above the veggies but losing the sound of the Stilton crumble thing.. May do this for Xmas eve as making shepherds pie for rest of family

DecafSkinnySausage Tue 20-Nov-12 21:25:38

Fab, thank you - all those suggestions are making me hungry again (how long since dinner??). I like the cauliflower cheese idea or possibly the mushroom/cheese one. Although that crumble sounds yum....will see how much energy I have nearer the time. I am also somewhat partial to a bit of Paxo so that is a great suggestions - two stuffings!

MasterOfBuggerAll Tue 20-Nov-12 20:45:13

Heath you put sausage meat in the stuffing mix to make it non veggie

OccultGnu Tue 20-Nov-12 20:41:23

AngryFeet - liking the sound of the chestnut stuffing, do you cook it and if so how long for?

BikeRunSki Brazil Tue 20-Nov-12 14:07:49

I'd be more than happy with posh cauli cheese, but love chestnut stuffing too.

dreamingofsun Tue 20-Nov-12 14:04:17

we always have cauliflower cheese - its one of the highlights of the meal - though we aren't vegi and have all the usual stuff as well. if she's happy with first dibs on that, it seems a great suggestion. its also good warmed up the next day if any's leftover.

neolara Tue 20-Nov-12 12:39:29

M and S usually do a good veggie option.

Or, if you are feeling kind, below is is the most fantastic veggie Xmas main dish. It's delicious, chrismassy, a little bit special and others could have a bit as a side dish. It can be made in advance and then cooked on the day. If you have no room in the oven, you can cook it in advance and microwave it at the last minute. It will still taste great. And it's also pretty easy to make.

Chestnut, leek, apple and stilton crumble - serves 4, from Leith's Vegetarian Bible.

1 tablesppon of oil
30g butter
1 large onion, sliced
2 leeks
15g plain flour
290 ml vegetable stock
225g vacuum packed chestnuts, roughly chopped (but keep pieces quite big)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 green desert apples

Crumble
110g plain flour
55g butter
55g stilton cheese, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1) Heat oil and butter in a pan and when foaming, add the onion and fry over a low heat until soft and golden brown.
2) Trim roots and outer leaves from leeks. Cut into 2.5cm pieces and wash thoroughly. Add to the pan with the onion, cover and cook for 5 to 10 mins until soft. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 min.
3) Gradually pour on the stock and stir until smooth and boiling. Add chestnuts to the pan with the thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for about 15 mins until the chestnuts are tender.
4) Peel, quarter and core the apples. Cut into 2.5cm pieces. Stir into the pan and tip the mixture into an ovenpoof dish. Leave to cool.
5) Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F / gas mark 5.
6) Make the crumble. Sift flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter. Sir in the cheese and cayenne. Spread evenly over the top of the filling and bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins until the crumble is browned and the filling piping hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now