One vegetarian at Christmas lunch

(40 Posts)
DecafSkinnySausage Tue 20-Nov-12 11:03:57

I have 9 already who will get the usual turkey and trimmings etc. A vegetarian friend is also going to come and I need ideas for a turkey substitute she can have with the veggies, cranberry sauce etc. (Stuffing and gravy will all have meat so needs to be stand-alone otherwise.)

To make things slightly more complicated she is on-call for a hospital so there is a chance she won't even be there to eat it! So nothing too fancy and preferably something I can freeze ahead as I am also working solidly for the 72 hrs prior to Christmas day.

I am thinking some sort of tartlet/mini quiche but I am stuck for flavours that will go with the rest of the Christmassy menu - everything I see seems to be tomato/asparagus/more Mediterranean.

That red Bisto thing BLEW MY MIND yesterday.

Red Oxo has actual beef in it.

HeathRobinson Wed 21-Nov-12 09:52:30

Master - thanks. I never knew that. confused I suppose sausagemeat is the same sort of texture.

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 09:53:02

I make cornbread stuffing. I bake a little loaf of it then cut it into large chunks. You soak it in a vegetable or chicken stock then stir it into ordinary sage and onion stuffing. Add chopped pecans, chopped cranberries, season and bake.

AngryFeet Wed 21-Nov-12 09:56:49

Sorry! Yes I cook the stuffing in balls for about 25 mins.

OccultGnu Wed 21-Nov-12 15:30:20

AngryFeet - thank you, I will plan a "something special for me" on Christmas Day rather than me knocking myself out cooking stuff for the meat eaters and pouting in a corner with a pile of sprouts.

Chippychop Wed 21-Nov-12 23:11:29

Well thanks [heath] that's helped me out!

ethelb Thu 22-Nov-12 11:00:32

My sister often got a veggie pie (think higgledy pies) to have with the veg and gravy. Then insisted it was fine to have meat gravy hmm

Taffeta Fri 23-Nov-12 14:47:21

Cauli cheese a fab idea. I have a veggie gluten-free relly coming Christmas Day and it sounds perfect.

thanks for the thread and ideas! [SMILE]

Hurrah, Taffeta!

To be honest, mine (DM) is so used to being offered things she can't have that I think it was a revelation. My challenge this year is to make vegetarian g-free trifle with jelly and sponge in it...

peeriebear Fri 23-Nov-12 16:09:43

Quorn is a bit Marmite for veggies- The meat texture is often too much. And around 4.5% of the population is allergic to it too- if I eat it I get dreadful stomach ache for the rest of the day.

dumbelina Fri 23-Nov-12 16:17:36

Horatia - my Dad makes trifle for me using Quick-jel which is vegetarian and incredibly easy to use. Can't help with gluten free sponge though.

blouseenthusiast Fri 23-Nov-12 16:21:55

Don't do quorn, is the devil's food.

coldcupoftea Fri 23-Nov-12 16:42:56

The M and S nut roast is awesome. I would just get that, if she doesn't come you can all just have a bit, it's yum!

Thanks dumbelina will have a look...

Wilding Fri 23-Nov-12 18:23:52

I'm vegetarian and veggies are usually fine for me - I would definitely do vegetarian gravy though, roast potatoes are a sad thing without it. Couldn't you also just do a couple of balls of stuffing without the sausage meat in? Cauliflower cheese sounds like a great compromise - as people have said above, Quorn doesn't agree with everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now