Something cakey for xmas that has no dried fruit?

(12 Posts)
racingheart Sat 17-Nov-12 20:59:33

Chocolate pannetone from Carluccios has no fruit. It's delicious and traditional.

Or white or dark chocolate yule log - that's what the DC have while we have Christmas pud.

HappyTurquoise Thu 15-Nov-12 23:45:07

Pick his favourite cake and add Orange zest, mixed spice and some chopped chocolate.

There's a Divine chocolate & chestnut cake which is heavenly.

Chocolate roulade with minty sparkle. (Make a jug out of foil and put half a bag of unwrapped Fox's glacier mints into it, put in moderate oven to melt. Put greaseproof paper around a rolling pin. Pour the mint syrup over thinly to make cobwebby strands, leave to cool. Can be shaped into ball before completely set.)

goralka Thu 15-Nov-12 23:44:44

hmm not sure about pandoro/panettone I think they are related but possibly the latter has currants?

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 15-Nov-12 23:44:01

Pandoro is basically Panettone without the dried fruit!

My vote is for choc yule log; that's what we have.

Wallison Thu 15-Nov-12 23:42:59

Is Pandoro the same as Panettone? Because I was going to suggest that.

I was going to say Pandoro too! Yum.

goralka Thu 15-Nov-12 23:36:49

I would buy a Pandoro in a box grin or how about baking a nice Madeira type cake?

Booj Thu 15-Nov-12 23:33:30

I am making Nigella's Nutella cake & Toblerone cake which my three DS love. Both are great for both adults and children.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 13-Nov-12 09:32:58

I'd make something orangy. Seems quite Christmassy. How about this: scroll to the end for orange marmalade version. Made it before and still dream about it. smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 12-Nov-12 19:39:24

I like Nigellas christmas cupcakes - spicy and rich

FreelanceMama Mon 12-Nov-12 19:31:24

Chocolate Yule Log (chocolate swiss roll covered in melted chocolate)? Not a fan of fruit cake myself so that would be my preference.

Or a (snowman's nose) carrot cake, with the yoghurt frosting looking like snow?

DH is a fussy bugger. I usually ignore this and make a christmas cake, but this year I thought I'd be nice to him. But every altnative xmas recipe I can find contains some sort of dried fruit!

Any suggestions? smile
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now