i got a slow cooker this morning

(251 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 03-Jan-12 11:51:39

please tell me how to use it!

- ive no idea how to use them, what to do in them at all.
Up until recently i have regarded them with suspicion....low heat + long time = bacteria soup in my book but i have been convinced by my friend who has bought me one for the princely sum of 12 quid this morning in Tesco!

so please help me become a culinary whiz with a slow cooker and post your slow cooker recipes!

thank you!

iklboonkey Tue 03-Jan-12 20:06:17

Agree the knorr stockpots are perfect for slow cookers.

D0G Tue 03-Jan-12 20:08:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

goldbow Tue 03-Jan-12 20:10:51

You can get sachet thingys in Tesco, we had chicken curry tonight, was yum.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 03-Jan-12 20:12:03

just realised that this thread will go 'poof' in a month....better get writing these down!

thanks again! this is brill....

goldbow Tue 03-Jan-12 20:14:12

Meant to say, you just bung the ingredients in, no pre- cooking.

TheSecondComing Tue 03-Jan-12 20:15:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kennythekangaroo Tue 03-Jan-12 20:17:48

I just pop in the whole chicken, sat on a layer of halved potatoes and thick slices of onion. I don't usually add any liquid as the juices from the chicken come out as it cooks. I take out the potatoes and mash them, then blend the onion with the juices for instant gravy!

MrsSnaplegs Tue 03-Jan-12 20:24:00

Easiest recipe evergrin

400g of dark brown sugar
1 gammon joint

Put in slow cooker with sugar at bottom for 8-9 hours on low

Have faith you need no liquid in this!!

Serve meat with veg and potatoes of choice
Day 2 use leftover meat chopped with some softened onions and mushrooms to make a pasta bake
Day 3 use any leftover meat for sandwiches

How much meat you have left depends on size of joint, size of family to feed and ability to resist temptation to just pick bits from leftovers and shove them in your mouth when no one is looking eat themgrin

Pinot Tue 03-Jan-12 20:56:17

I got one recently and I'm a total convert. Mine boils on the High setting so no bacteria to worry about.

I don't brown, I don't fuss or faff - whack whatever is to hand in, turn on and away it goes. Today I did soup x 2 and at the weekend it was spanish chicken stew. Mince for the bottom of cottage pie is delicious and sooooo much easier than stirring on the hob.

How do you do jacket spuds? Just bing em in I guess?

TotemPole Tue 03-Jan-12 21:32:48

VicarInaTutu, you could ask it to be moved to the Food board, I don't think that's culled the same way chat is.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 03-Jan-12 23:13:27

thats a good idea!

i will do when ive got enough recipes and tips to keep me in slow cooked food grin

any more for anymore? really looking forward to using it.

am still slightly aghast at the thought of bunging in a whole chicken....
do you need water then or not?
im guessing that cheap cuts of meat like brisket are perfect for slow cookers?

SantasNutellaFairy Tue 03-Jan-12 23:19:22

The only thing I do brown is sausages for a sausage casserole- otherwise they look a bit, erm, interesting willylike in the sauce.

simpson Tue 03-Jan-12 23:21:30

I do a whole chicken in mine all the time. I don't add any liquid at all.

I put it on a bed of leeks, onions & carrots.

I chuck a stock cube (crumbled) over the chicken and put it on low for at least 5/6 hrs.

I then roast or bake some spuds in the oven and bunk the chicken in the oven to crisp it up (fro maybe 30mins) It is truly yummy and there is loads of juice for gravy <drool> I don't like spuds in the slow cooker as they tend to go soggy.

Any recipes for pork loin steaks would be good though, as I have 3 that need using up grin

SantasNutellaFairy Tue 03-Jan-12 23:21:48

With the chicken I cut up some carrots to biggish chunks, add some whole shallots and sit the chicken on top of it before pouring stock and herbs all over it and leaving it to steam gently.

Yes, to cheap cuts. One word of warning- as you remove a joint there is a tendency for it to fall apart, so don't have your serving/ cutting plate too far from the pot!

simpson Tue 03-Jan-12 23:24:15

yes even the whole chicken can fall apart when trying to get it to oven to crisp up so be prepared grin

If I didn't love crispy chicken skin so much blush I would not bother putting it in the oven at all....

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 03-Jan-12 23:38:51

oh this sounds like heaven....i love meat that literally falls apart! im drooling here!
and as im starting a diet healthy eating regime it could be perfect!

Fragrantfancies2010 Tue 03-Jan-12 23:42:36

I'm with you on that one Simpson, I love the crispy chicken skin too. And the fat on a well fried steak.

I very often wish I could order a bucket of skin from KFC.

MustControlFistOfDeath Tue 03-Jan-12 23:50:31

I'm thinking about getting one...do they use loads of electricity though, what with being on all day? I feel I should know the answer to this but don't <ignoramus>

toody Tue 03-Jan-12 23:52:30

I have thought about getting one for some time hate cooking so seems ideal, but they always look so small, what would you reccommend 4 adults and 1 child to feed.

simpson Tue 03-Jan-12 23:54:37

think they use hardy any electricity about the same as a light bulb IIRC

simpson Tue 03-Jan-12 23:54:51

oops hardly

AitchTwoOHoHoHo Tue 03-Jan-12 23:59:04

i did chickens in mine, and hams, and it was great for making stock afterwards cos you just lift the meat out then fling in a bit of water, bay leaf, peppercorns, carrot, celery, onion and let it bubble.

but then it broke, and i didn't replace it because the bottom line is that apart from those two things it DOESN'T cook as nicely as the oven. grin and anyone who tells you that they make a good spag bol in there is a liar or a terrible cook... wink

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDoom Wed 04-Jan-12 00:12:33

Whoever it was asked about the size fnar fnar mine is a 6.5L and it easily feeds 2 adults, a teenager, and 3 LOs, with some left for seconds and/or DHs packed lunch for work next day. That's if I fill it "full". Obviously it's pretty easy to adjust quantities once you've made stuff once or twice and can gauge how much of a particular dish the family will eat.

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDoom Wed 04-Jan-12 00:14:16

Oh and I make lovely spag bol in mine, and am not a terrible cook or a liar, I just know what I'm doing so ner ner ne ner ner to you grin (And I have no oven so it's crock pot or do without, which, coupled with lack of money and large family has made me a brilliant one pot/stock pot cook)

simpson Wed 04-Jan-12 00:18:45

how do you get it to thicken up though???

I have made spag bol in my slow cooker and it was v watery and not as nice as when it had simmered on the hob iyswim.

(disclaimer: I am not a good cook!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now