Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena coil - help!

(7 Posts)
FateLovesTheFearless Sun 09-Dec-12 16:44:00

I had the mirena coil fitted at the start of November. Was absolutely fine. A week later I started bleeding...and I haven't stopped hmm I can feel the strings, not in any pain etc, just a constant slow flow bleed. It's driving me insane. Is this normal and how long should I expect to keep bleeding?

Mine was a bit like this. I think I had a lighter than normal for about 3 weeks, then a short break, then another. It had all settled by 3 months.

McBobby Wed 26-Dec-12 22:54:48

I had mine fitted and bled for about a month, then nothing for over two years until I got it removed. If I'd bled that long I would've got it checked out.

Hope you're ok.

TheFollyfootandtheivy Wed 26-Dec-12 22:58:41

I was told by GP that bleeding could be all over the place for the first 3 - 6 months. And it was - bled on and off for 6 months then it all stopped completely and havent had a moments trouble since (its been in place for 6 years now). Give it a bit longer if you can smile

Sophiathecheesefairy Sat 23-Feb-13 07:46:32

fate what happened I am having the same experience and feeling really low about it. I just want the thing taken out.

I bled constantly for six months then had regular periods with it until I got pregnant grin it will settle down my nurse said they like to give it six months

hurricanewyn Sat 23-Feb-13 07:59:41

You may be able to go back to where you had it fitted & ask for medication to stop the bleeding. A three month prescription for the combined pill should see it settle down and stop the bleeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now