Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Emergency Contraception if previous ectopic pregnancy

(4 Posts)
LadyCurd Fri 28-Sep-12 13:29:48

Today I needed to get morning after pill thanks to a condom failure, I previously had an ectopic pregnancy and lost one of my tubes. Whilst I possibly do want a third a few years down the line, I currently have a 9month old and 2.5 year old so pregnancy right now is not an option. Unfortunately I discovered today both methods of emergency contraception carry risk of ectopic (emergency contraceptive pill or the coil) and it was a tearful weighing up of the risks as obviously I don't want to affect future fertility withh another ectopic and tube removal for the hypothetical third that may never happen. In the end I took the pill as I found this study www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20502299 which seems robust enough to suggest the emergency pill doesn't carry increased risks but I was a bit annoyed at my doc for prescribing it without mentioning that risk despite me discussing wi him in that consultation my previous ectopic pregnancy.

Just thought I would share for other ectopic survivors for info really.

Next to decide on the minefield that is whether of not to get a coil!

MrsHoarder Fri 28-Sep-12 15:59:32

To be fair to your GP, if the most robust evidence shows that there isn't a link, mentioning it isn't the right thing to do, it just causes you to be anxious without any need. There was a thread saying the opposite not long ago, a midwife had mentioned the "leukaemia risk" of the vit K injection to a pregnant woman, when any link had been debunked several years ago. There are often theories that 2 things are linked and further research done into them, once there is evidence that they actually aren't then this should be published and medical staff should stop mentioning links to patients.

LadyCurd Fri 28-Sep-12 19:53:55

But he should mention it it is written in glaring writing all over the instructions- the instructions were very clear about being careful with it if previous ectopic and may need alternatives (not that there are really alternatives) having the instructions say one thing without the GP saying why he was overruling that (to be quite honest I suspect it was because he didn't know- he spent much of the appt on google ;)

dottyaboutstripes Fri 28-Sep-12 23:03:40

I would bet he didn't know. The MAP caused my ectopic, of that I am certain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now