Guiders' staff room - tea, wine, chat and optional dancing around the toadstool

(648 Posts)
MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 03-Mar-09 21:57:13

Thought it might be nice to have a place to swap ideas and experiences. Shall we do introductions first?

My name's MadBad and I've been a Brownie guider for about 5 years.

Becles Sun 25-Jan-15 10:13:27

I agree that they can stay with Guides for now. If there is a bit of strong arming going on, may be worth having a chat with the leader or DC.

rivierliedje Sat 24-Jan-15 10:38:10

Thanks rue and Groovee. That's what I thought, they'll be pleased.

Groovee Fri 23-Jan-15 07:19:47

They have until they are 16 to stay in guides and do their BP.

My dd is 15 this weekend and only left guides in December.

I have 2 14 yo Rainbow Helpers at my unit - they aren't SS yet because they haven't completed their BP. So afaik they can stay Guides for a while yet.

rivierliedje Thu 22-Jan-15 20:18:11

Banks can be a real nuisance, can't they Becles.

Does anyone have any advice for this situation?
There are a few 13 year olds in my unit who would quite like to do their Baden Powell award, but who turn 14 in May. They seem to be under the impression that this means that they absolutely must move up to Rangers in September, but this won't leave them enough time to finish the award. It seems to be the other leader who has given them this impression.

I thought they could move up as long as they were 14 and when they felt ready? But I'm really new to the whole thing, so don't have any clout.

MaudantWit Mon 19-Jan-15 12:38:28

Oh dear, Becles. Sadly, that sounds exactly like the nit-picking, jobsworth attitude we encountered at our bank. It's all about preventing money laundering, apparently, although I'd be interested to know how many Colombian drug cartels are using middle-aged Brown Owls as a front for their nefarious activities. hmm

Becles Sat 17-Jan-15 23:17:44

Hi Groovee sounds excellent.

Sadly the bank asked for a copy of the constitution etc. Happily I had the power of Google and called it up on the phone. This didn't go down well and they're asking for the signatories we can't find to approve. Despite District and County letters and contact details confirming that we need to access the money (CENSUS calls, I have the money but can't get at it angry).

I've still got my blooming taxes to do too.wine

Groovee Fri 16-Jan-15 08:17:24

Had our first week back, was nice to be back. Got someone coming in to do the Scottish Country Dance badge this week.

MaudantWit Sat 10-Jan-15 09:51:19

Oh no. The unit bank accounts. We were buggered about for ages when we needed a new signatory because the bank couldn't get their head around the fact that an 18 year old didn't have the mortgage statement/utility bills in own name etc that they wanted as proof of identity. We opened an account with this bank because Girlguiding HQ said they had agreed a streamlined process for opening accounts, but as far as I could tell we had to jump through just as many hoops as anybody else opening a business account. So good luck!

Becles Sat 10-Jan-15 08:30:58

I may need some myself by the end if the day.

Going to the bank to delete and then add a different signatory. After 4 months of forma and calls, I'm taking a book, snacks and not leaving till this is sorted.angry

MaudantWit Wed 07-Jan-15 19:37:38

Ah, yes. Ribena. Slurp.

Becles Wed 07-Jan-15 14:44:08

Have some Guiders' Ribena grinwinegrincakegrinwine

MaudantWit Wed 07-Jan-15 09:19:06

You're very kind.

I don't have the snip tool at home, but after grumbling to my DC I have an offer to sort it out at our next district training. This has touched a nerve with me, as what I dislike most about being a leader is having all these "little" admin jobs dumped on us that turn out not to be little at all. I will now put on a false smiley face.

Becles Wed 07-Jan-15 01:35:34

Do you have the latest all singing version of windows?

If so, you can use the snipe tool to create a jpeg.

If you don't have it send me a pm and I'll sort it out for you if that would be helpful via email.

MaudantWit Tue 06-Jan-15 14:05:13

Yes, Rue, that option had already occurred to me, but I had discarded it as too much bl@@dy effort! As a tree-hugger, I try to avoid printing letters out and prefer to email them (especially as that's usually more reliable than expecting the girls to take them home).

Oh yes, an hour and a half a week. ::hollow laugh:: I've already spent much more than that faffing about with the letterhead, which I'm only doing as my conscience was pricking me as we were instructed about a year ago to switch over to the new letterhead and I hadn't got round to it. Sigh.

...and then you could scan it in and email it! Because that's a really simple way of doing things... <sigh>

Did they tell you it was only an hour a week, too? grin

Bit daft way of doing things, but could you print out a load of pages with the letterhead on, then overprint them with your newsletter/whatever on top?

I've avoided the OLPC so far, and will be for as long as I can!

MaudantWit Tue 06-Jan-15 09:53:19

Should have said that I solved the saving/reopening problem, but this problem of not being able to put text into the letterhead seems more intractable!

MaudantWit Tue 06-Jan-15 09:51:14

Yes, I think that's how I constructed my old letterhead. This time, though, the OLPS has given me a PDF that I can't amend so, as something that I can use to create newsletters to email to our parents and carers, it's completely useless. Sigh.

Becles Mon 05-Jan-15 23:49:27

I find the OLPS incredibly complicated - always takes me ages to work it out. I tend to save the logos as jpegs and then inserted.

MaudantWit Sun 04-Jan-15 15:12:36

Thank you. It's not that I'm especially keen to do food-related activities, just that we have the facilities to do them, whereas our facilities for active games (say) are rather restricted.

Does anyone have any experience of the online print shop? I have just made a new letterhead, which has been sent to me as a pdf, but when I save it and reopen it, it becomes a page of random graphics and certainly not a letterhead that I can use. What am I doing wrong?

Becles Sat 03-Jan-15 02:42:33

Hi Maudant

We decided to take a few days rest this term and slinking back a week later than normal. 'Planning' meeting next week with team and winegrin.

Foodgrin My favourite thing in the whole world, how many hands do you have around? With my personal prejudices in mind, I always avoid biscuit or cake decoration - masses of mess every time. I find bread or similar always good.

Armpit fudge
Chocolate orange
Scones - plain, cheese and fruit
Flapjacks
Toasting star bursts
Rocky road
Flatbreads
Mug cooking

Tastings sessions: you line up several of the same item but in different price ranges and get them to pick their favourites. Good lesson that it's not always the branded one they like.

I would also ask them if there's something they want to learn to cook

You can also theme it:

Burn's Night - haggis, neeps, shortbread, iron bru

Traditions badge using a disposable bbq or the oven - dampers, smores, Proper popcorn, camp sandwiches: jam sandwiches dipped in batter and fried, pitta pizzas, baked bananas

Did I mention that I can go on about food for agescakegrinwine

MaudantWit Wed 31-Dec-14 18:23:56

Hello, Becles, and welcome. I have just spent a merry hour fhmm wrestling with Join Us and sorting out our roll for next term. Then it's just a small matter of doing the 2014 accounts. fhmm again.

All ideas for Brownie activities in a hall with good cooking facilities but little space for games (indoors or outdoors) gratefully received ...

Becles Fri 26-Dec-14 17:21:30

Can't believe that I've only just found this thread. fgrin

Actually, given the opportunity to avoid the self imposed deadlines for sewing the remaining 20 badges on my blanket I'm going to have a large wine, break open more chocs and have a good read as prep for the next term's programme fwink

Brownie GiC, Guide LiT, Rainbow OH, District gofercake

Minisoksmakehardwork Mon 15-Dec-14 18:48:50

Spoke to mum at our last meeting. Sadly it seems the prompt for this being raised was an email from brown owl inviting the girl to brownies earlier in the day!! We know we passed the names of upcoming brownie age girls to brown owl twice in the few weeks preceding.

Anyway, we've spoken to mum and said we genuinely feel she is more than ready for brownies. She is one of our older and more capable girls all round and whilst it would be a shame to lose her, she would get more out of brownies than we could currently give her. Mum also let slip that one of the girls she has made friends with (different schools) isn't due to go up for another few months and her daughter would miss her... We did suggest if she waited, there may not be a place at brownies if there were other girls already on the waiting list to start at that time.

we've given her until we have a Xmas trip to have a think and let us know. In the meantime we are planning how best to manage our parents and keep brown owl on the ball smile

In good news, we've roped in a couple more volunteers. One is a mum who can help every other week when her husband isn't working. She's been helping us out so I brazenly suggested she join in on a regular basis. She's going to let me know ahead the weeks she can help smile

Another is a friend of mine whose recently got back in touch. We drifted apart for a while. She wants to go down the whole assistant/unit leader route so is going to work out where she can help as an occasional helper to start with and then see if her employer will be willing to be flexible on our meeting night if she can make up her hours elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now